“Good hotel for business trip”

Novotel Grenoble Centre
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Grenoble
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Not so far from the city center (15 mins walk), near restaurants area (3 mins trip), good, large, silent hotel for business trips

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Novotel Grenoble Centre

Reviewed 25 July 2011

I booked this hotel due to the high ratings it had on Trip advisor. I’m familiar with the Novotel chain having used them many times over the past 2 years.

The hotel is set in The World Trade Centre next to the central train station in Grenoble, on the whole this hotel is modern and fairly new. The reception, bar and restaurant are all nicely appointed although I found in the bar the service was very slow and actually gave up after standing there for at least 10 minutes. The reception team saw me standing there but didn't bother doing anything.

When I travel on business one of my key priorities is to ensure I get a good night’s sleep so I want to have a nice room with quiet AC, comfortable bed and feather pillows. This hotel didn't deliver any of these points. I did phone reception as request a feather pillow and they said I'm sorry we don't have any. Instead I had to endure the silly square pillows they put on the beds. I turned the AC down to 15 but the room still didn't get any cooler and there was a loud hum from the AC.

The TV selection was poor, as usual the only English channel was BBC World New’s.

There wasn't an ironing board in the room, I again called reception to request one and they advised that all of them was out and they wasn't sure when they would get on back! So I was forced to use the steam from the shower to try and get the creases out of my shirt!

Breakfast was very nice, self service with a good selection of premium branded foods. Nice fresh tea and a mix of hot and cold options.

My meetings took place outside of the centre so needed to call a taxi, leaving 40 minutes before my meeting was due to take place and the location of the meeting only being 5.8km's away I thought that I had plenty of time! However how wrong could I be. I asked the reception to book me a cab and they advised it's very busy and would take 20-40 minutes for one to arrive. They said that there is only one cab company in Grenoble which I later found there were actually more. Tip: if you need a cab in the morning pre-book it. I felt that reception should have advised me to do this anyway.

I didn't feel the staff were that friendly on the whole although the manager did contact me after my stay as I completed a questionnaire so I know they do take feedback seriously.

Good:
• Good value
• Central location
• Modern and new facility
• Nice breakfast
• Free internet

Bad:
• Not ironing board’s
• Noisy AC
• Staff weren’t that friendly
• Silly square pillows
• Slow service

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank farmerboyNorthants
Reviewed 4 June 2011

As novotels go, this is one of the nicer ones: good standard of fittings in the queen room, and a really comfortable sofa that you can stretch out on. Only glitch was that the in-room leaflet about room service was inaccurate (it says 12AM-12PM, but it was actually only available while the restaurant was open, which was something like 7-11)

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kdt43
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I often travel to Grenoble and I often stay at the Novotel as it's walking distance from our site. Pros: efficient online booking, car park, clean, newish rooms, good staff on reception, beds and room suit me, free wifi, breakfast ok, handy for bus and train station. Cons: a bit pricey, business-like rather than cosy, handy for business district, but 10 minutes walk to the town centre.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank swizzbilly
A TripAdvisor Member
Nicosia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

The service is excellent at the front desk, very efficient and very friendly. We only had breakfast there. I believe that you can do better, and not only this Novotel. I have been using Novotels for years, but this year we have noticed a degradation in the breakfast variety compared to other years. Quality is the same, very good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2011

The Novotel hotel is conveniently located at the back of the Grenoble train station, yet is inconveniently located in the WTC building. Hence during certain hours and on certain days you need to ring a bell before you are allowed access to the Novotel hotel. Check-in was quick, followed by a rather awkward use of your room key in order to operate the elevator. The room itself is modern, yet small and hot. I can hardly imagine that you can stay in any of these rooms with three people as I found it to be cramped all by myself (for example, when sitting on the toilet, I could not close the door). There does not appear to be any air conditioning. The TV is downright disappointing, measuring probably no more than 15". The channel choice is mostly limited to French stations, with the exception of BBC World, which provides around the clock english news. There is no alarm clock available, so best if you bring your own. The rooms are quiet however, making it a relaxing sleep. A safe is provided inside the room, allowing to stash away any small electronics (up to a 14" portable, along with a camera and some other equipment). Shower temperatures tend to vary while showering, which is not ideal. The breakfast is served on the reception floor, opposite to the reception, and consists of a selection of juices, pastries, some hot dishes and various kinds of breads. No major complaints, really, but the hot dishes were lukewarm at best. Overall I had a relaxing stay, but due to various small problems I cannot really recommend others to stay here. It should do fine for very short (business) stays, but I would steer clear of it when you are not traveling solo or when you do not require the premium location.

And finally, I spent the full 5 minutes to fill in the questionnaire they send you via email after your stay, only to find that the last step did not succeed. This is definitely a shame since this would be an ideal way to listen to the suggestions and comments of the visitors.

Room Tip: The view on the top floor is magnificent.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kvaruni
Reviewed 17 February 2011

The room was very nice, however the bathroom was a bit disapointing as it was just a cubicule planted in the room
The foods and service at the restaurant was good but the restaurant itself was a bit like a hall and missed a bit of cosyness and privacy.
I would recommend this hotel for a business trip. For holiday you may prefer something with more character, less laboratory.
But be aware that the hotel is quiet pricey which is a shame. More affordable and it would be a definitive YES for me.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business