“Definitely the best dining experience of my life”
Review of La Gargotte

La Gargotte
Ranked #34 of 3,324 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Midlands, UK
“Definitely the best dining experience of my life”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This restaurant is rated #11 out of 2000+ in Lyon on TripAdvisor so having only decided to go there late yesterday afternoon,I rang to see if there was availability. I initially asked for 8pm for a table on 4 & agreed with the Manager that we would come at 8.30. On arriving he said, you must be Mr. David & shook everybody in the group's hands. Our table was ready & after showing us our place he brought us the menus along with complimentary Hors d'Oeuvres. The menu is limited to 5 starters & 5 main courses and if you have fussy people in your group you may want a wider choice of options. Because there were no fluent French speakers the Manager took his time to run through every option. Whilst waiting I enjoyed a very pleasant champagne "coupe". I noted a previous reviewer said that service was slow & whilst we did not experience this as it was a Tuesday night off-peak I can imagine it would be slow if the restaurant was full but this is more due to the personal attention that one receives! I had Foie-Gras starter & I definitely can say it was the nicest I have tasted & did not resemble some of the "processed" varieties that one often gets. The dishes were presented very elegantly with some lovely tasting sauces accompanying it. A wonderful cut of steak in Roquefort sauce was my main which was accompanied with creamed potatoes & very fresh vegetables. The desserts were exquisite & wonderfully presented. When calling for the bill, the Manager left us a bottle of Cognac on the table. The cost of a 3 course meal was €26 per person (+ €2 extra for Foie-Gras & the fillet), which I thought was excellent value, especially considering the price & quality of some of the other restaurants I have eaten in during my trip to Lyon. The wine cellar is limited but very good quality but this is where the cost starts to build up (€22 for 1/2 bottle of St. Emillion Grand Cru). The restaurant has won many awards & I can see why. My only tips would be to not go there if you were in a hurry, especially during peak times, and would not recommend for vegetarians or people who are fussy about what they eat (no association implied!)

• Visited July 2014

• Serbian first
Lyon, France
“Understaffed”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Heard rave reviews and could well believe them as the owner was all he was built up to be, charming and welcoming. The food was good, very original but it was a Saturday night, the place was packed, he continued to fill it and he had no staff! He apologised but it was not good enough - we arrived at 8 - order our food at 9.20 - received our dessert at midnight and paid the babysitter a small fortune. :(

• Visited April 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Nice BD dinner for two”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Our collegue recommended this place & we weren't disappointed! Food was delicious. Vina was good. Service was great! The waiter (owner?) was very polite, could explain the dish or recommend something. He speaks English well to feel comfortable to ask a questions. We enjoyed it!

• Visited March 2014
“Amazing food, fab proprieter”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a gorgeous meal, the owner explained the menu to us as it was in French and my French isn't that good. Delicious food and great wine list. Def go back. You will need to book as it gets full of locals

• Visited March 2014
Paris, France
“Must-go in Lyon!!”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I and hubby had a diner at Saturday night.
Not only the taste, but also their quality of service was satisfying enough.
Menu "Starter-main dish-desert" costs only 25 euros ( December 2013)! If you want to have a diner with their quality in Paris, it costs at least 40 euros!
I strongly recommend that you reserve in advance.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Abricot-H

Been to La Gargotte? Share your experiences!