“Some service issues”
Review of Le Layon

Le Layon
Reserve with
Le Layon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #279 of 3,347 Restaurants in Lyon
Price range: US$24 - US$42
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Cordeliers - Jacobins
Description: Le Layon, found on the rue Merci��re in Lyon, is a unique bistro-style restaurant famous for its authentic Lyonnaise cuisine as well as its stellar jazz soundtrack which includes the likes of Ella Fitzgerald and Diana Krall. The owners of Le Layon are passionate about good food, wine and music, and all three have been woven together at Le Layon to create chic setting for relaxed and romantic meals. Classic dishes at Le Layon include the Bouillabaise cooked with rouille, croutons and grated cheese; fresh salad with French beans, foie gras and duck breast; and the steak tartare with raw egg, capers, onions and parsley. Le Layon has a fantastic boutique wine list which changes monthly.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My hotel recommended this restaurant. I was there on a Sunday night, and at one point I was the only one in the restaurant (I don't think that has anything to do with the food, just a combination of the holidays and a torrential downpour). The staff were pleasant, but they did bring me the wrong dish. I'm not sure if this was a miscommunication on my end, on theirs, or a mixture, but they weren't overly apologetic and just pointed out that the new dish cost less vs. offering to fix it. All in all, a fair to good experience, but the lackluster approach to service is reflected in my rating.

There are newer reviews for Le Layon

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed in Lyon for a week and went to this restaurant twice. The second time was on my last night. I ate at several of the restaurants in this area, but this was my favourite.

Their tartlet of pear poached in red wine and caramelised onions served with foie gras was one of the reasons I returned. The other was the staff. They spoke English very well, and they were incredibly helpful with menu choices. They even offered to arrange my taxi for my trip to Lyon Part-Dieu the next morning. This was above and beyond anything I expected, and I am very grateful.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We found this restaurant by walking along a street full of restaurants, and asking a local, who had stepped out to smoke, 'how was the food'? He said 'excellent'. And it was. We had a two course lunch which consisted of some of the most delicious food we had in France during our lastest trip. The veal and the pear tarte with cassis sorbet was just divine. The staff were welcoming and efficient. The food is simple and delicious Lyonnaise style food. This place is just great!! Highly recommended.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stopped in to eat here because it was one of the few places that was open at 6pm on Sunday. I was pleased that the staff spoke English and they had an english menu. I ordered the Veal with Potatoes and it was delicious. The staff was very attentive and polite. I was very pleased and would definitely go back. I travel to Lyon often for business and this was a nice treat to have such good and friendly service.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Having read some very good feedback on Tripadvisor about this restaurant, we visited on 23rd October looking forward to a positive dining experience. No problem in getting a table even though we hadn't booked. The restaurant was busy, but no excuse for having to wait at least 20 minutes before we were asked if we would like a drink. Likewise there was a lengthy wait after we finally ordered our meals. The waiters were easily distracted, and whilst opening our bottle of wine, the waiter stopped to seat other patrons. Whilst the food was ok (fish soup for entrée and duck breast for main) it was certainly not exceptional, and definitely expensive in comparison with other restaurants that we ate at in Lyon, and subsequently in Paris. Perhaps we just visited on an off night, but we found some far better restaurants in Lyon in the following days..

Been to Le Layon? Share your experiences!