“Disappointed”

Lyon City Card
Ranked #25 of 238 things to do in Lyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A museum and depository of historical documents regarding the French resistance to Nazi occupation, of which Lyon played a central role.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This museum was near my hotel so I decided to stop by. When I arrived I was told to go to the cloakroom to get an English audio guide since the exhibits are in French but the audio guides weren't charged yet. This seemed strange since the museum had been open for over an hour. I was given a binder with English translations to use instead. I tried to go through the museum with the binder but it's a lot of reading and I felt that by staring down at a binder I was missing the exhibits. I asked when the audio guides would be charged and was told 15 min so I waited. When I went to pick one up they asked to have my passport or an id in exchange for the guide which I did not have on me (I was meeting my boyfriend at our hotel afterwards so I didn't bring much with me). I offered my phone instead but they refused which seemed ridiculous since they were comfortable holding passports but a cell phone was a liability risk. In short, if you want to visit and don't understand French go at least 2 hours after they open and be prepared to hand over your passport to a museum employee. Otherwise I'd skip this one.

3  Thank Laura0878
in 4 reviews
"their lives"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This heavy, drab building (the military hospital the Gestapo took for their Lyon headquarters) is the perfect setting. The wealth of artifacts is well displayed; but the highlights are the video interviews with survivors of the resistance and of the deportation and camps; their stories are amazing, and the courage of their telling is humbling. The English audioguide is well done and provides good coverage; all interviews are translated. When we talked to locals about seeing this, they all said: it is so important that we tell this story, because we must never forget and there are now very few people left who lived through it. So true.

4  Thank Withyscott
Reviewed 7 June 2014

In the former Gestapo headquarters, this museum is an outstanding journey through the dark days of occupation, deportation and resistance. It was a three hour visit for us, and my wife is neither a real museum or war buff.The museum is heavy on reading, so don't forget your reading glasses. There are audio guides if your reading in French is weak. Very moving audio temoignages (French and English) by those who lived through the war years. Inexpensive entry charge with a good little bookstore.

1  Thank Donald S
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A must-see. The museum is comprehensive without overwhelming you with too much information. The museum is housed in the former Gestapo headquarters. The heart of the museum are the filmed interviews with people sharing their experiences during the Second World War and the Resistance. Watch the films to get a real sense of the past. The 13-minute film with a camp survivor is one of the longest, but very moving. The films can be seen in English and French.

2  Thank christina s
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The museum provided a well organized and striking presentation of World War II and it's impact on life in Lyon. The development of the resistance movement, the tensions between the different resistance factions and the sacrifices people made were presented well. The deportations of resistance members who were captured was a vivid part of the museum. There was less about the deportation of the Jewish population of Lyon which I think was one of the few aspects of the museum that could be improved. In general, it was a good learning experience and not to be missed. My friend and I spent about two hours in the museum and found it all very interesting.

1  Thank Jane G

Been to Museum of the Resistance? Share your experiences!