“Not my style”

Ranked #10 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Warsaw, Poland
“Not my style”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed one night during a big company event, so I didn't choose the hotel myself. The rooms have that special atmosphere, if you like it, but for me they were too dark and depressing. Bathroom spacious but felt outdated (ok I know it's an old building and the owners did a great job adapting it to be a hotel). It was (both the bathroom and the room) clean and tidy though. The staff - most of them nice and helpful. Normally I would rate it 2/5, but it was the company picking the hotel, so I'm giving it a 3. Location is a big plus.
The biggest highlight: breakfast - buffet, very generous, plenty of different tastes to choose from.
The biggest disadvantage: dinner. Poor wine (I'm not an expert, I just didn't like it). And - I'm a vegetarian, and maybe the company did not pass the info to the hotel (they were about to), but the kitchen should be prepared. Trust me, a plate full of lettuce and bits of non-vegetarian cheese is not what a veggie dinner looks like. I had to wait for it quite long so I think they just weren't informed in advace, but still, it's 21st century and vegetarians do exist :)
All in all, I wouldn't choose the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Martyna W
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
I red your review very carefully. Cour Des loges is indeed a hotel with a "special" atmosphere as we wanted to preserve the renaissance spirit. It's a true bias that distinguishes our hotel from the other ones. That's why if you had chosen yourself our hotel for your stay you would probably have loved it as being chosen in good sense. Nonetheless, we totally understand that old fashioned style does not appeal to everyone and that therefore Cour Des Loges did not meet your expectations.
Regarding the food, it is true that our cuisine is based on classical meals and it means traditional food with meat and fish though we do propose seasonal vegetables and salads on our menu. Notwithstanding, I take good note of your comment and the kitchen will make her best to get ready to satisfy the vegetarians clients in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
ewellis
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful three night stay at this gorgeous hotel. Set in the medieval section of Lyon, the hotel was converted from four Renaissance houses and maintains many essential architectural elements. The center courtyard, which houses a Michelin starred restaurant (which was fabulous!), is spectacularly beautiful. Our room was of moderate size, though a bit too dark for my taste. The spa, with its small indoor pool, steam room, and sauna offered welcome respite from long days sightseeing. Service -- from housekeeping to servers at breakfast -- was flawless. We were especially charmed by the concierge, Msr. Ravet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ewellis
What a pleasant review!
We are glad you loved our one star Michelin restaurant. Our chef only uses very fresh products and cooks the best seasonal vegetables and fruits.
Gerard is happy for meeting your expectations.
We hope you will come back soon to try or terrace or our Sunday brunch.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is truly a special place to spend some time. Its unique location in the heart of the old city and the beautiful historic buildings provide the base. More important however the kind of service you are granted. Superb - difficult to match and overachieve.... We enjoyed every minute in this hotel, loved the food, the atmosphere and the friendlieness of all employees. We will be back. A hint for a special room: opt for number 18 if you like a small but cosy and unique two-floor appartment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hans F
Thank you for your review.
We are glad you loved the architecture and design of Cour Des Loges. And we are even more delighted that our service and food made you want to come back.
Therefore, we look forward to seeing you soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nestled right in the heart of old Lyon is the beautiful Cour Des Loges hotel. This hotel served as our first stop through wine country. It is extremely conveniently located (although if you are renting a car does take a careful hand at driving through the small streets in old town). The hotel lobby/reception area is quite beautiful with amazing arches and a lot history. The dining area is especially beautiful and the bar in the lobby also has a beautiful welcoming feel with a fantastic bartender. To get to your room you have to navigate a maze of historical corridors which makes the experience quite unique. Rooms are adequate in size...not too big, but not too small and they are quite comfortable. All in all I would recommend this place for 2-3 nights. The restaurants that are on the same street as the hotel are very charming and very good, but just around the corner you will find the tourist cafes and shops so you have a little of everything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pposte
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you very much for your pleasant review.
We are glad that you loved Cour Des Loges spirit and design, because as you said, staying here is a real experience that the whole team of the hotel tries to make the best possible for her clients.
If you haven't tried our Sunday brunch yet, then you should definitely come back for our greater delight.
geneva
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Went with my family for a long week-end.Getting to the hotel by car can be dicey.Concierge got us there and car was taken care of immediately.Hotel is actually an old cloister.
We had two rooms.One standard and one Deluxe.I stayed with my wife in No 43 which is the standard room.Room is not big but nicely renovated,Linen is very comfy.Unfortunately I disliked a couple of things.The toilet ,bidet area is really substandard for a 5 star.Smell was also not to appealing.The room had no day curtains so the opposite building could see us.This meant we had to keep the night curtains shut even during the day which was a shame.Being on the 4th floor we had a corridor going out onto the roof terrasse next to us.The door slammed everytime somebody went out.Not 5 star.To crown it all I think we had a service cupboard next to us which meant room cleaners started rummiging around at about 7 am.
The worse part was the bartenders.Twice we were spoken to rudely.
Breakfast was in the main room but I think the waiters were overwhelmed and a lot of guests looked upset.
The hotel has a lovely terrasse but nothing was served there.
The spa is small but I found the actual tub very worn.There was a brown waterline which is not inviting.
The positives are the location.Right in the old city.
I must also commend the two concierges.Two of the best Clefs D'Or I have ever met.
We ate at Les Loges which I have written about in a separate article.Superbe.
I don't think will return until they get the small details in place.

Room Tip: Don,t take room 43.....
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank angelo65Geneva
I just red your review very carefully and I took good note of your comments.
I can understand that some noises and views can be disturbing in a hotel located in the middle of a pedestrian area where buildings are very close one to the other. Besides that, because of the age-old building, we are not able to solve certain issues and we are sorry for that.
Regarding the bartender way of speaking, I have to admit that I am very surprised as we are always congratulated for our service from the check-in through the check-out, but make sure that I'll do my best for that kind of incidents never happens again. We are glad you enjoyed our gastronomic restaurant and our concierges who always try to meet our clients expectations.
We sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to enjoy a stay at Cour Des Loges.
San Rafael
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Each room is different in ths wonderful hotel located in old town. Such a great location.

Make sure to enjoy a glass of wine in the gardens and the pool, sauna and steam along with the relaxing area.

Very nice hotel

We enjoyed it very much.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
tischker, Propriétaire at Cour des Loges, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
What a delighting review!
We are glad you had a great time in our hotel and we sincerely hope that you will come back soon to try our Sunday brunch and our gastronomic restaurant if you want to travel through France, tasting only fresh and quality products.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a restricted road part if Lyon with very well organised parking and excellent advice from concierge on sights to see. However because of the layout if the building rooms can be noisy from the sound of the restaurant. Our room also smelled of severe humidity issues. Whilst very charming decor and certainly rooms with elegance there is an air for aged facilities, and darkness. Come here for the atmosphere. We did not try the breakfast as the price of 27 euro seemed excessive. The charge of 50 euros a night to add a bed for a 3 year old also seemed over the top.

• Stayed May 2014
In the first place we'd like to thank you for your review.
We are happy that our concierge service met your expectations however we are sorry you did not enjoy your room.
We acknowledge that humidity is sometimes hard to manage in some rooms because of the old structure of the hotel yet we always try to resolve these kind of issues and your review sure helps us to keep improving ourselves.
We hope you will come back and try our breakfast which is known as one of the best in Lyon.