“Very unique hotel!”
Review of Cour des Loges

Cour des Loges
Ranked #10 of 195 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 23 May 2006

I stayed here for one night with my husband and my parents. We each got the classic room which has two floors, very unique and cute. We loved how the hotel has so much history (it used to be a school many years ago) and the proprietors were able to keep so much of the original building intact. The rooms are certainly unique and funky (huge bathtub in the middle) but we loved how different they were. Only thing was that my dad is elderly and he was a bit nervous about going down the short flight of stairs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, worried he was going to slip on the stairs. The buffet breakfast was sumptious but pricey (22 euros/person). The staff are excellent, especially the concierge who helped us plan a walking tour of the old city of lyon and recommended lovely sites for us to see. Side note: we ate at the Paul Bocuse restaurant 20 mins away by cab, and it was fabulous!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank tahiti05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 22 March 2006

I stayed at Cour des Loges on business and it made me miss my wife - it is very romantic. Very unique rooms, mine was a loft. Had some language issues with some of the staff since I do not speak English.
The ceiling was peeling a bit in my room which took away from the unique atmosphere. The shower was complicated and I burned my foot even though I had a guided tour of the room. All in all, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank pcnbpt
Reviewed 31 January 2006

I can imagine that this hotel would not suit everybody, but it is perfect for a romantic weekend. If you want a big modern business hotel, a hotel with parking or a hotel with panoramic views, go elsewhere. But if you are looking for something with lots of character and a hotel with exceptional staff, then you will not be disappointed.

The hotel is located on a pedestrian street in the old part of town, and is a conversion of a renaissance building. There is enough of interest in the surrounding streets (including good restaurants) to keep you busy for a few days, and the centre of Lyon is only a few minutes walk away, as is the hill of Fouviere.

I brought my fiancee here for a surprise weekend break, and we both loved the renaissance architecture, including the stunning entrance courtyard (which also doubles as the restaurant). Earlier reviewers are right in saying that the rooms are dark and a bit uncoventional (ours overlooked the internal courtyard), but we found it to be very comfortable and cosy. Our only dining experience was Sunday brunch. Although this is expensive, the quality of the food will soon make you forget about the cost (but maybe not your waistline!).

In summary, what makes this hotel exceptional is the quality of the staff. They are very professional, efficient, stylish and courteous. Of the 150+ hotels I have stayed in, the staff here are amongst the very best I've seen.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank Cypsi
Reviewed 16 November 2005

I tried my best to ignore the extremely rude and condescending waiter in the restaurant.
I didn't let myself get annoyed by the hairdryer that was tethered to a very low cabinet with only a few inches of the cord to use forcing me to do contortions just to dry my hair.
I just accepted the high cost of using the internet, despite the odd units of time it bought you and the problems with connecting.
And I didn't get hung up on the fact that although I had a window in my room it was over the bath so I couldn't open the curtains.

Instead I focused on:
The really accommodating and knowledgeable Concierge who was always on hand with very good recommendations and dealt with a number of tricky requests.
The absolutely stunning lobby, stairwells and landings. Really extraordinary and worth seeing even if you're not staying.
The fabulous food. Other reviews mention that the restaurant isn't open or the food isn't up to much. My experience was that it was superb quality, beautifully presented, really very good value for such a first class meal and only marginally ruined by the extremely patronising waiter.
The amazing and fresh choice for breakfast every morning.
The unique bedrooms. True they may seem a little dated and the lack of light may not make them to everybody's taste, but I found my room (number 15) totally charming. I'd never stayed in a room with an open bathroom before and thought it quite glamourous. Plus I loved my mezzanine bedroom under the timbered ceiling. It was really snug and cosy with bags of character.

This wasn't a standard hotel experience but it was a highly memorable one, ultimately for all the right reasons. Provided I got a similar standard room I would have no hesitation in returning; I was totally seduced by Cour des Loges.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank Lydia H
Reviewed 13 November 2005

We only stayed one night in Lyon at Cour des Loges. The hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was well kept and nice, but the window faced another part of the building which did not let a great deal of light in the room. The location is perfect! The hotel was a great value for the price, but I don’t know if we would have wanted to stay here for an extended period of time. However, I would recommend this hotel. Lyon, in general, is a wonderful city and we would recommend making it a stop on your itinerary.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 19 July 2005

Just returned from one night at the hotel. The luxury I remember from several years ago seems to have diminished. The rooms are definately showing their age and the lobby was now a commercial center with a shop and a junky concierge stand. The same charming concierge was there but the hotel staff had definately changed and was not the top of the line that I remember. A new restaurant adjacent to the hotel is a welcome and delicious addition. Beware that the hotel bar is closed on Mondays with few alternatives in the city.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank gregcmorley
Reviewed 30 June 2005

My friend and I booked a twin room for 3 nights at The Cour De Loges in April via Cresta.
The Hotel is beautiful, (albeit very unusual) and in a lovely location in the heart of the old town.

However, the rooms vary enormously in decor and size.

The lift is incredibly small and claustraphobic.

We were initially shown to a lovely room which was on the 4th floor and looked out towards The Basilica.

Due to the design of the Hotel it was impossible to use the stairs instead of the lift and as I hate lifts we requested another room.

We were shown a very small 3rd floor room which had patio doors and a nice private courtyard.
The problem of not being able to use the stairs still applied, plus this room could only accommodate a small double bed.

We had obviously got a problem as the only remaining rooms apparently had NO WINDOWS!!!

The Hotel was marvellous.

Their solution was to give us the only room they had on the first floor, which was The Honeymoon Room!

They swopped the double bed for twins and we had to accept the King size bath was actually in our bedroom!!!

Although we were very grateful to get a 1st floor room, it was very dark with virtually no natural light.
It was quite a noisy room , stuffy and quite cramped.

Decor, although gorgeous was very dark.

Beds were comfy and toilet and bidet in a separate area (similar to a caravan toilet).
This really did need updating badly.
Sanitaryware was dark grey.

Breakfasts were amazing.
Fabulous cold help- yourself buffet with fresh juices and coffee.
Cosy attractive eating area.

We were incredibly disappointed with the Restaurant food, thus only ate there once.
Restaurant staff were unhelpful and service poor, despite the fact the restaurant was almost empty on the night we ate there.

Although we enjoyed our stay my friend and I would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2005