“dissapointing 4*??”

B4 Lyon
Ranked #145 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
“dissapointing 4*??”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This was my most dissapointing experience among all 4**** hotels in France I visited in past. I know that Hotel standards in France are lower, but this really was bellow my expectations.

I have chosen Grand Boscolo B4 hotel because of good experience with the Boscolo chain in other cities and because of very central location.

Upon entering I was initially surprised when the receptionist handed me a huge key, but I accepted the explanation that they are very traditional hotel.But - they are not only traditional, everything is very old and need more then just refurbishment.

I have booked an Executive room, got one on the 4th floor... , leaving the ancient elevator I was welcomed by non pleasent smell of old... . The room was large, but the textile floor did not look clean (probably just old...). The bathroom shower did not work ... If I wanted to activate the shower I had to constantly push the button on the tap with my knee, otherwise the water flowed only from the tap... When I was leaving the hotel in the evening (first day) I asked the receptionist to check that, but nothing happened....

Refrigerator (mini bar) in the room did not work properly, drinks were warm.... but due to previous experience with shower I did not even try to report this to the staff...

The old wooden door are disturbing as well, you can not close them without the loud slam... The beds are very old, but comfortable... , The problem is that they use woolen blankets between two sheets and I really hate those woolen blankets....

Breakfast - OK, but that's all...

In short - disappointing!

Lyon can not offer a lot of centrally located hotels (I will always avoid Lyon - Part Dieu), so I will probably book Boscolo Grand at my next visit again.... because of it's fantastic location.

Otherwise this hotel could only be recommended to those who are willing to pay the price for 4 stars, but not expect much.... or check Carlton hotel on the other side of the street - it is under renovation at this moment, but could be good (Accor/McGallery??)

Room Tip: if you get 430, first check refrigerator and water tap in bathroom :)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 1 October 2012

So close to all the action and in a great old building. A few modern updates but still a lot of clasic character. The rooms are so big and a great change space to stretch mid holiday, yay. Very pleasant staff. A must. We will return.

Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Jeffrey B
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed three nights at the Boscolo Grand Hotel (B4) in Lyon in August 2012.

The hotel is centrally located within a walking distance from all major attractions in the city. If you want to go further away (for example to the Cité Internationale / conference centre), there are both metro and bus stops close to the hotel.

We had booked an ordinary double room, but we we positivelt surprised by the spacious room that we got. It had a very good bed, a walk-in closet, a nice bathroom with a bathtub, and a balcony.

The breakfast was typical from French hotels, i.e. not very good. We had breakfast at the hotel the first morning, but the others days we chose to buy food elsewhere.

I can definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen UK
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I had a bad experience with British Airways who decided that I couldn't have my original hotel a few weeks before departure. After turning down a number of alternatives I accepted a booking at the Boscolo Grand. Once i had read the reviews on TA, I must admit to being a bit apprehensive.
The hotel proved to be much better than expected, on arrival we received a warm reception and were given a room on the third floor. The room was large by French city standards but very clean and pleasantly decorated. The beds were comfortable enough and the bathroom was huge. the room was equipped with mini-bar / fridge( as usual for any hotel the prices were high) there was however plenty of room to buy goods outside and use the refrigerator to keep them cool. There were no notices against this ( I have seen this elsewhere). The only complaint I had on our first night was a lack of A/C, it didn't trouble us until after bedtime so didn't raise the issue until morning. The young lady on reception did apologise and advised that there were engineers working on it that day and if we had any problem then let them know and they would find us an alternative room that night. On our return though the room was perfect after a very hot day out!
I know that there are areas in the hotel, such as carpeting, that could do with replacing but on the whole it is very welcoming and is in an excellent location.
As far as parking goes, you can park along the river from 7pm until 9am free. I discovered on the first morning that I could park right outside the front door 24 hours a day free. I originally thought that this was a drop off area only, space is very limited but if you can park here.
Breakfast was perfectly adequate buffet style breakfast with extras available on request. They have scrambled eggs and hot dog style sausages available from the buffet too so you do have that option as well as croissants and pastries, cold meats, fruit and cereals available.
After the initial hiccup with the A/C everything else was fine. If you do have a problem bring it to their attention and I'm sure it will be remedied for you.
One final word, the double glazing was excellent as the amount of noise it kept out was amazing. It was only when I opened the patio doors that I realised how much city noise was being reduced.

Room Tip: We were in room 315 and I have no complaints, overlooked the side street but is near the river and i...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank royzee28
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We visited Grand Hotel Boscolo in July. We enjoyed our stay. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Beds and linen were good quality and staff very nice. Breakfast was good. Parking was in public parking and quite expensive. Hotel parking has only a few spaces and is expensive as well; Best to visit Lyon without a car. It is a very walkable city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mary_gregoire
stourbridge
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent, dont forget to email the hotel to book a parking space in the basement car park (limited space available).

Great rooms and breakfast is available next morning.

The hotel is not cheap but centrally located. Would suggest that extra`s like Wi-Fi should be included in the room price

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The location of the hotel is excellent. First night - after we've d unpacked everything, we realized that there was something wrong with water on ceiling - we had to move; that was still understandable - something like that can happen. But there is no free wi-fi in hotel, you have to pay 7 euro for 30 min on internet. I payed the 7 euros to check myself in on flight from London - Jhb, but was unable to print my boardingpass. The hotelstaff was also unable to print my boardingpass. Heathrow was very busy during this time, therefore it was very convenient to have a boardingpass. They did not give my money back! I ve paid 7 euros for nothing! This hotel is not cheap! I was very unhappy - a hotel should have free access to internet, and staff should be better trained.

Room Tip: Every morning there was a terrible noise outside our room in the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elnavermaak

Travellers are raving about these Lyon hotels