“Great hotel in the heart of Lyon.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Lyon Centre Saxe Lafayette

Mercure Lyon Centre Saxe Lafayette
Ranked #30 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Miami
“Great hotel in the heart of Lyon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

We were a group of seven couples traveling and arrived to the hotel April 22 for one night. The hotel was in a upscale commercial neighborhood in the center of Lyon. Trafalger Tours booked our stay and made check in quick and painless. The staff was very helpfull and the rooms were roomy and very modern for European standards. You are walking distance to most everything and very close to the old town. If you are staying on business or just visiting, this is the best bet for quality and price. Overall we were all happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank chebolu2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I had made a reservation in this hotel with my mother's credit card for 4 nights with a prepaid rate, using booking.com. Even though I wasnt informed by anyone that I couldnt make a reservation by not being the owner of the card, the hotel charged the card and later wanted 100 extra euros to make the rate flexible, as my mother wasnt meant to be with me on the trip, Even though upon arrival I would go to pay cash and they would return the amount of money in the card. I had like 50 phone calls with booking.com and the hotel to solve this issue. I unterstand that they are protective with stolen cards, but I was not imformed about that, I told them I could bring a warranty, a signed declaration etc. They accepted nothing, and insisted on the flexible 100 euros more rate, even though i had prepaid. I was calling the hotel many days, and they gave me different opinion every time, cause the manage was not there and i dont know, maybe they could not take a decition. I called in the central customer service of Mercure for France and there was a lady speaking only french(!!!! customer service, thank god i know some french) and stated she can do nothing and I had to call again the hotel. I have stayed again some times in Mercure hotels and I was satisfied, but after all that I m pretty sure I will stay away from any Mercure hotel in the world. They made me be several hours over the phone for many days before my trip. I would like to thank booking.com though because they did a good job to reaccomodate me in an other hotel after i refused to pay the extra 100 euros, because i hadnt done anything wrong during my booking(they agreed with that), and even pay the difference with the second hotel. After the pressure of booking.com, thank god I was not alone on that, the Mercure hotel finaly refund my first ''prepay rate'' money. Advise to travellers, be carefoul while booking.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GiannisDr
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Perfect 5 stars hotel,not 4 as clasified, as prices.All we liked:luxury atmosphere, hudge,well equipped and luxury rooms, high speed free wireless internet, indoor pool, private valet parking.
The staff is very kind (maybe not enough reception personal).Location is very good, easy walking distance to all touristic points of interes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mihnea_11
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

My partner and I spent three nights at this hotel recently and were happy with most aspects of our stay. The staff were friendly, the room fine, the breakfast varied. The hotel is in walking distance of the old town and other tourist hot spots.

If you travel by car, like we did, and want to use the parking facilities at the hotel, do check beforehand that they have space available. We didn't and had to find somewhere to park nearby for the first two nights.

One minor thing: I was surprised at how thin and small the towels were - I always look forward to using thick luxurious ones when I visit hotels, but had to go without this time around.

The free wi-fi was incredibly unreliable and we had to continually log in after having lost our connection.

I would probably try out a different hotel in Lyon, should we come back, due to the above issues, but this is not a bad hotel at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Karen L
Hampton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

This hotel is in a great location to get anywhere you need to in this fantastic city. I was in Lyon on business and arrived at the hotel late in the evening minus my luggage which was still in London. The staff couldn't have been more helpful - providing a few bits of a wash kit to get me through till the morning. The facilities in the room are good - comfortable bed; fantastic shower and free wi-fi. I ate in the restaurant one night and the food and choice of wine was good.

I was most impressed with the staff - reception, restaurant and those cleaning bedrooms all were friendly, efficient and a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

Very well surpriesed by the mercure. Greatbrooms, excellent service, vallet parking and a very nice restaurante, le garage. It is not in the best location, probably 15 min walk to the old town, but very convinient.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mpremoli
Clémence G, Responsable relations clients at Mercure Lyon Centre Saxe Lafayette, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear client,
Thanks for sharing the experience of your stay in our hotel!
We hope to welcome you again in the end of 2013, we keep in touch for your reservation.
See you soon,
Clémence Guelton
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Took the Privilege Double Room, was big and comfortable, mini-bar and espresso coffee machine (with 3 capsules) were included in the room, and updated everyday. Good service, and they speak good English (not a typical thing for French :-P )... Overall, very good and worth the money!

Room Tip: Privilege Double Room vs Double Room: * size, first is a bit bigger than the normal double room...