Sofitel Lyon Bellecour
US$377
US$294
  • Pool
2,116 results
All reviewstop floorthe riverfloor restaurantcomplimentary mini barjunior suitewalk in closetold townfive star hotelplace bellecourwonderful cityper dayconvenient locationnespresso machinewonderful hotelstayed one nightcomfortable hotelbuffet breakfast
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The newly renovated rooms are well layed out and the beds and linens extremely comfortable. Our RiverView Junior Suite was perfect and the location terrific for walking around to all the sites. We ate at the Brasserie which was quite good and heard they also have a Michelin star restaurant for those up for a refined multicourse meal.
The unrenovated room are really long in the tooth. We asked to be moved to renovated room which was so much better! Our renovated room still had a slightly smoky smell to it and in fact there was an ashtray and matches provided in room. The other big thing was none of the TV's are HDMI which one would think given the remodel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RCL94027
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Great stay and good location.
Nice restaurant with beautiful overview over Lyon and excellent breakfast.
Nice decoration and really like the services & facilites.
High technology in room which is a plus.
Best regards,
Gilles

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a Eurostar deal - even then it was not by an means cheap. But as it was my mother's birthday we decided to treat ourselves.
We got a taxi ride from the station to the hotel: from the outside it looks rather ugly and concretey: but inside the lobby was modern and clean, like many of the refurbished Sofitels. The reception staff were excellent - we had a smooth check in and were shown to our room, on one of the more modern non-smoking floors.
Once we were in, however, I noticed something a bit strange - the toilet in the bathroom was really high, and the shower rather odd - no tray and just a curtain. I then realised we were in a room for handicapped access. This in itself did not bother, me, however my mother (who is very short) found it almost impossible to use the toilet (her feet didnt touch the ground!!!)
I asked downstairs if there was another room available, but was told, not on our floor. However one of the traditional rooms was available, upstairs on a smoking floor. We decided to have a look. I have to say, I was pretty horrified: the room was tired, carpet old and worn, there was a smell of stale cigarette smoke, the furniture was chipped. The bathroom was bigger (which my mother liked) but was a tired off white colour. I just COULD NOT believe that that was the same hotel as the clean boutique-y room downstairs.
The staff were helpful in saying we could move to another, modern refurbished room the next day. However what I did notice was that there were many business travellers in the hotel, men on their own, at conferences. It might have made more sense if they had been assigned the handicapped access room. I know that on my own work trips, I rarely care so much about small additions, as spend so little time in the room. One woman in particular (Karine, I think ) who was in charge of customer services, was really good and smoothed things over when my mother looked upset. Her main gripe was that the man who checked us in should have told us that the room was such (we think its great there ARE disabled access rooms) and then we would have minded less. We were moved the next day and the next room was lovely.
The downside of Sofitels is that even if you pay tonnes, breakfast is often an additional extra. So we didnt have it there, but ventured out. For UK tourists, France is pretty expensive at the moment, with the euro-pound exchange rate. So in fact most of Lyon seemed pricey including restaurants, patisseries and clothes and shoes. The restaurant in the hotel seemed very expensive - there was 3 Michelin starred dining, but we didn't go, as it was so expensive (I think about 60 euros per person for even the cheapest menu).

However with a wealth of good restaurants on our doorstep (Lyon boasts the highest number of Michelin starred restaurants in one city, in the world, I think) we had no problem eating out. This is where our excellent concierges excelled. They booked us into a local (and very popular) bouchon. I had also also read about a restaurant - Mere Brazier - and it was no problem for the concierge to book us in (and also later amend the reservation). We were very impressed. with his service. Although I speak fluent French, it was so nice having someone able to organise this sort of thing for you, I often feel mid-range hotels often miss this, whereas local family run hotels are helpful or high end ones.
Other nice extras were:
a really good band who sang in the lobby in the evenings; the staff - the doorman gave us bottled water for our journey when we left, the cleaner was brilliant, the aforementioned concierge exceptional;
the divine Hermes bath products;
the open bar for soft drinks.

On a more personal level, I didn't like the decor in the modern rooms (felt like it was verging on lower end Accor hotels...) but overall, it was a good stay. The beds were excellent, the room quiet and the location very good. I cant remember if there was a kettle in the room, but the endless supply of soft drinks was one of those extras that might not cost much, but really makes a difference.
I would recommend it and stay there again even if, at about 175 pounds/night without breakfast, it wasn't really a bargain.

Room Tip: ask for a modern refurbished room (although by now the older rooms may have been redone)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank traveller2007
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Nice comfortable hotel near river and Ballecour Square. The staff were really excellent, concierge desk staff a credit. I was surprised by the number of clipped and leashed dogs in the hotel staying as guests, I guess they use the bathroom facilities as well! Was hoping to see a dog fight in the lobby but missed out.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

i've been in the hotel in 15 june 2012 i enjoyed the hotel , great experience and excelent service , i've been in room 503 for one night only and it was wonderfull night with a great river view and room service . i advice you to have breakfast at the 8th floor looking over te river .

• Stayed: May 2012