“Past glories two minutes off the motorway yet in central Lyon”

Mercure Lyon Centre Chateau Perrache
Ranked #36 of 195 Hotels in Lyon
Devon, United Kingdom
“Past glories two minutes off the motorway yet in central Lyon”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Picking up on some of the other reviews, this is an old building right next to the station now modernised albeit having retained many original features. We booked last minute (2 days) and got two double rooms for just over £60 each. there are two entrances, we chose the lower one thinking it was the only way in - ignore this and head for the hire car area, drive through this across the front of the station and there is free parking at the main reception.

Bar is Ok if a little small, but the 'piece de resisitance' is the dining room - a real throw back to past glories and as ever, the Accor breakfast was ideal and in great surroundings. In the evening, we walked out of the hotel, over the station concourse towards Lyon centre where we found a park with restaurants - ideal. The rooms were a little austentatious for my liking but bathrooms good and air con worked well. The wide corridors and rather antique feel to the common parts complimented the modern renovated rooms.

To cap it all, it was two minutes off the motorway albeit a bit tricky to find - the satnav came in very useful! - and two minutes to get back on..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
Dijon
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Our stay in the hotel was great. The bedroom was spacious and very comfortable with luxuries such as bathrobes or LCD TV. Very calm environment. Just a walk away from the town centre. Great food. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Possible safe car parking. Coach straight to the airport from the station just behind the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 26 July 2009

The location is excellent, the staff is very friendly and helpful, except the tall middle aged brunet man, who didn’t want to speak English. I’ve written “didn’t want” because I won’t believe that a 4 stars could hire people for its front desk who don’t speak English.
The exterior of the hotel is pretty good and well conserved, but I wouldn’t say the same about the interiors, even though the rooms were repaired recently. This reparation didn’t touch the corridors, neither door nor bathrooms were repaired. The water closet was a bit smelly, the balcony –there was a very nice view to the Basilica, by the way- hasn’t been cleaned for ages: it was full of spiders with theirs webs. There were several international channels on the TV, a minibar full of snacks and soft drinks, and a kettle with tea and coffee facilities.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohannaGuerrero
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed in the hotel for a weekend in July with my boyfriend. I had booked a superior room but got a luxury room, the next higher category. I think the main difference between superior and luxury is that the luxury rooms have some antique furniture inside (We had a nice wooden cupboard and writing desk). The room was on a corner with two windows, so it had a lot of light and the room was of big size. When I looked on the floor map of the hotel, I could see that many rooms were much smaller than mine was - so be careful which room you get when you need space. The room (#109) also had a large
bathroom with bathtub and a seperate toilet.
As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is located between a motorway and the railway tracks. My room was facing the motorway (but at a reasonable distance), so when I opened the windows I could hear the cars passing by. But when the windows were shut it was totally quit. I guess that the amount of noice you get from outside depends very much on the location of the room you get, so if you need a quite room, it is probably a good idea to ask for it at the reception.
The breakfast buffet didn't have a very large variety but it was good enough and the quality of the food was fine. There were eggs and regional cheeses and sausages. There was also a Nespresso machine for coffee. What was missing was freshly squeezed juices and fresh fruit salad.
Service was always friendly and efficient during my stay. The location is good, directly at gare Perrache, so very central. The old town can be reached within 15 minutes by foot or 2 stops with the metro (which is clean, efficient and runs frequently). The area directly around the hotel and the station is not very nice but we felt safe. There are some homeless people around during the day but I couldn't see them at night, maybe the station security doesn't tolerate them at night.
Overall I would recommend the hotel for a stay in Lyon.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reisetiger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Beautiful Art Deco Hotel. Fortunately we paid a reduced price which made our 1 night stay fair. The full price would have been excessive given the size of the room and the position of the hotel. We were overcharged at the bar, and despite staff efforts to rectify our bill, the extra charges did not disappear fully. Bar breakfast was good value!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Egypt
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I travel quite a lot for my job, being myself in Hotel business, and everytime I end up in Lyon, I just check in in this Hotel.. Location is the b est, but also this old building retains some old Victorian reminiscence, a bit like a London last century club. lot of charm. Also, I found there something lacking in most new places, a Manager who remembers me by name, my preferences, and needs. We don't have this anymore in corporate places, surely with bigger, brighter, newer rooms, but again, this is a owner's problem, certainly not a manager's one, who tries desperatly to make our stay worth every bit.
I would not recommend this hotel for the bathroom sizes, but definitly for the warmth of the people who make it a living place!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business