Mercure Lyon Centre Chateau Perrache
US$134
Hotwire.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,129 results
All reviewstrain stationsecure garageold buildinggrand hotelrooms are spaciousnice hotelhotel barprivilege roomsuperior roomlyon centreon footbeautiful roombreakfast was deliciousmain shoppingrue victorthe location is perfectmotorway
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed in the hotel for a weekend in July with my boyfriend. I had booked a superior room but got a luxury room, the next higher category. I think the main difference between superior and luxury is that the luxury rooms have some antique furniture inside (We had a nice wooden cupboard and writing desk). The room was on a corner with two windows, so it had a lot of light and the room was of big size. When I looked on the floor map of the hotel, I could see that many rooms were much smaller than mine was - so be careful which room you get when you need space. The room (#109) also had a large
bathroom with bathtub and a seperate toilet.
As other reviewers have noted, the hotel is located between a motorway and the railway tracks. My room was facing the motorway (but at a reasonable distance), so when I opened the windows I could hear the cars passing by. But when the windows were shut it was totally quit. I guess that the amount of noice you get from outside depends very much on the location of the room you get, so if you need a quite room, it is probably a good idea to ask for it at the reception.
The breakfast buffet didn't have a very large variety but it was good enough and the quality of the food was fine. There were eggs and regional cheeses and sausages. There was also a Nespresso machine for coffee. What was missing was freshly squeezed juices and fresh fruit salad.
Service was always friendly and efficient during my stay. The location is good, directly at gare Perrache, so very central. The old town can be reached within 15 minutes by foot or 2 stops with the metro (which is clean, efficient and runs frequently). The area directly around the hotel and the station is not very nice but we felt safe. There are some homeless people around during the day but I couldn't see them at night, maybe the station security doesn't tolerate them at night.
Overall I would recommend the hotel for a stay in Lyon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reisetiger
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Beautiful Art Deco Hotel. Fortunately we paid a reduced price which made our 1 night stay fair. The full price would have been excessive given the size of the room and the position of the hotel. We were overcharged at the bar, and despite staff efforts to rectify our bill, the extra charges did not disappear fully. Bar breakfast was good value!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I travel quite a lot for my job, being myself in Hotel business, and everytime I end up in Lyon, I just check in in this Hotel.. Location is the b est, but also this old building retains some old Victorian reminiscence, a bit like a London last century club. lot of charm. Also, I found there something lacking in most new places, a Manager who remembers me by name, my preferences, and needs. We don't have this anymore in corporate places, surely with bigger, brighter, newer rooms, but again, this is a owner's problem, certainly not a manager's one, who tries desperatly to make our stay worth every bit.
I would not recommend this hotel for the bathroom sizes, but definitly for the warmth of the people who make it a living place!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank HighGlider
Reviewed 3 March 2009

what a disillusion entering in a "de luxe room" in which only antique forniture,bathrobe,TV colour,complimentary nescafè and toiletries offered were the "luxe".
WC (little and short) in a little separed narrow room,no bidet,not working fountains,obstructed basin and bathtube,concierge with always busy phone,employees absent and no care for the customer....these are the real peculiarities of this hotel, central but.....just beside railway.
A real offence for a customer that immediately finds out to have overpaid a bad organized and managed low level and only appearingly refurbished extra old "hotel".
it Is so easy,in the Country of best hotels tradition, to conquest 4 stars just with antique forniture and complimentary creams and instant coffee?
This accomodation is suitable for whom?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MEXTRATENDER
Reviewed 19 February 2008

We stayed in this hotel as part of a package deal for 3 nights. We arrived by TGV at Lyon Part Dieu and then took a train across town to Gare Perrache which is 2 minutes walk from the hotel. The station also has a metro stop for the A line which goes into the city centre (change at Bellecourt for the line to Vieux Lyons) and 2 tramway lines. The hotel is hemmed in by the station one side and a dual carriageway the other. Inside it was quiet though. We found the staff friendly and helpful and most spoke English. The room was well appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was somewhat cramped and although perfectly clean needed some updating. It had a bath,though, which is often lacking in many hotels. Breakfast is taken in a very beautiful dining room and was expansive with breads, croissants, cheeses, scrambled eggs, juices etc. The hotel also does evening meals, although we did not sample them, opting to go out t instead to Lyons' many restaurants. Overall we were perfectly content happy with our stay here.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple