“Creme de la creme in Lyon”
Review of La Chambre d'Hugo

La Chambre d'Hugo
Ranked #5 of 58 Lyon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a 3 night stay in Christine and Christophe's lovely apartment last month. The location of the apartment is perfect, a short walk to a metro stop and within easy walking distance of the rivers that surround this area. From beginning to end the experience was just wonderful. The room with private bath is large, very comfortable and extremely quiet. There is even a large closet to store your clothes and luggage. Even though this accommodation is a room and bath within a private residence I never felt like I was intruding on my hosts or that my privacy was affected. The way that the apartment is set up you walk from the front entry door, down a hallway and enter your private wing of the apartment which you can then close off so that you have your own space. The breakfast that Christine provides is just perfect! Homemade jams, fresh fruit, yogurt, bread and croissants, fruit juice, coffee, sliced cheese and more, all presented in her beautiful dining room on a table set like a fine restaurant. Christine is Lyon's Martha Stewart, no doubt!! Christine suggested places for us to visit, made dinner reservations for us and even gave me directions to an unbelievable small antique shop owned by a woman who has small, unique items from all over the world. I was able to find an antique cameo pendant there that will make the perfect birthday gift for my mother in law. Even if you don't buy anything at this shop, it is worth a stop simply for it's uniqueness. I believe the shop owners name is Marilee. Christine went out of her way to answer any questions we had and she even provided us with metro tickets on our first morning there. When it was time for us to leave and pick up our rental car, Christine and her husband Christophe insisted on driving us to the car office when we discovered that it was not near a train or metro stop. I can not say enough about how willing both of these lovely people were to help us out in any way they could...they are the perfect hosts!! I would stay in this room again in a heartbeat and I highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Lorik57

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We enjoyed two nights at La Chambre d'Hugo in mid April. The location in Lyon is perfect for access to all the city has to offer and Christine was generous with assistance and advice. As others have reported, the breakfasts were quite memorable. Christine is obviously a foodie who uses and promotes local products. Highly recommended. Oh, and if arriving by train, we learnt (the hard way) that it is much closer to walk from Perrache than from Gare Part-Dieu!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pietroposso
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Christine and Christophe were the perfect hosts. Our three days in Lyon were idyllic with a perfect home base, so well located and beautifully presented. Madame...your breakfasts are sublime.
The service included assistance on every level including dinner reservations, suggesting specialist shops and thoughts on what not to miss. Directions were always helpful.
Discovered that they have a B&B in Burgundy also.
We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Rael10
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Stayed three nights at La Chambre d'Hugo in late April. Christine and Christophe were extremely charming hosts. Nothing was a trouble. They were very kind and helpful but not at all intrusive. I particularly appreciated that they got up on my final morning to give me a very early breakfast before I caught the train. Another day I came home cold and wet and Christine bought me a lovely tray with tea and several bakery treats to warm me up.

The B&B is in a lovely old building on a pedestrian mall in the centre of Lyon close to the metro, tourist office, main sights, shopping, restaurants. Their apartment is very stylish with high ceilings, tall windows and parquetry floors. You have a separate pleasant area in the apartment comprising a bedroom with sitting area, bathroom and walkin luggage/ clothes cupboard. This is well appointed and the bed was very comfortable with lovely linen.

The breakfasts were wonderful and very generous. Fresh fruit, cereal, yoghurt, breads, cheeses, treats baked by Christine and the most wonderful homemade jams/ preserves that we're some of the best I have ever eaten. All this was set out looking like something from a magazine and served in their beautiful dining room. Each morning the settings were different - just another special touch.

It was a real pleasure to stay with Christine and Christophe in their lovely home. They are wonderful hosts.

Room Tip: Only one room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Rhonda G
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We loved Lyon and we loved staying with Christine and Christophe. Central location in the middle of great shops and an easy walk from the station. This was a five star experience - rarely have we experienced such a level of service and attentiveness from B & B hosts.Our hosts recommended restaurants and booked them for us, recommended places to visit, as well as organising a taxi when we needed it. Everything was made easy for us. They were absolutely wonderful when my husband fell suddenly ill, bringing herbal remedies, tea and going above and beyond in their care. Luckily the illness was short lived and we were both able to enjoy what was one of the best breakfast feasts we have experienced on our travels.
The room was very spacious, absolutely quiet and very well supplied with lots of travel magazines, writing desk and materials, very comfortable bed, walk-inwardrobe and a beautiful and efficient bathroom. Very private also, given that we were in our hosts apartment. We never felt anything other than welcome guests.
Thankyou M and Mme Branche, and we look forward to staying with you again and enjoying lovely Lyon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 57sydneytraveller55
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My wife and I stayed with Christine and Christophe Branche for five nights, starting March 30th through April 4th, 2013 at 21 Rue Victor Hugo. This private third story home is located in an old Napoleonic-era bulding in a wonderful location...literally minutes from everything in Lyon. It has double glass windows so while centrally located, it's absolutely quiet to the surroundings. Both owners were surperb hosts and anticipated everfything a guest would want. Christophe even drove us to church on Easter Sunday as he was going to visit his Mom and offered us a ride so we didn't have to walk to the local cathedral. Breakfast servings were wonderful, filling and healthy...with great "decafeine" for the non-caffeine guest. Absolutely charming hosts, very friendly and eager to please. Christine noticed that we had an interest in old cars and directed us to an old car museum outside of Srasbourg as this was our next destination. This B&B has got to be the number one location in Lyon if you seek a great downtown location with easy access to everything, super hosts and little conveniences to make a graceful transtition to local lifestyles. It's very easy to agree with all the other excellent reviews...they are spot on. We had a great time...THANK YOU CHRISTINE AND CHRISTOPHE, come see us in South Carolina!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carboguy
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights. The apartment is on the 3rd floor of an 1814 building located two short blocks south of Place Bellecourt, Lyon's largest public space. It is convenient to shopping, the rivers, Vieux Lyon, and the cultural/restaurant area north of Place Bellecourt. The apartment was lovely -- beautiful parquet floors, elegant ceiling moldings, big windows -- and Mme. Blanche's exquisite taste -- subdued colors, handsome antique furniture, gorgeous linens -- was evident everywhere. Breakfast was a particular visual delight with many small containers of jams, cheese, breads, grains, all of which tasted good too. Our bedroom was quiet and private with a well equipped bath. The Branches gave excellent advice about local attractions and about places to visit on our way back to Paris. We also had an interesting conversation over tea with M. Branche about current conditions in France. We had a car and rented the Branche's space for 20 euros per night, expensive but probably cheaper than any alternative. Getting the car into the garage was hair raising for us, and we were grateful when M. Branche agreed to back it out onto the street. One piece of advice for a tourist in Lyon: avoid Mondays; almost everything is closed.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple