“Hit and Miss”

Hotel Bayard Bellecour
Ranked #95 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The positives: the hotel is in a good location on rue Bellecour with underground public parking located right across the street. It's also within easy access to great restaurants. The area felt safe. We were in the Deluxe Bellecour. The room is nicely decorated with a large potted live palm tree. It has retained its charm from the past with its nice parquet wood floors, high ceilings and windows, paneling, decor, and marble fireplace. The bed was also very comfortable. The price is very good for being in the city at 118 euros/ night.

The negatives: the room being on the street side, is noisy at all hours on rue Bellecour. The bathroom does not fit in with the decor of the room. It seems to be put in on the cheap as an after thought. The industrial painted door with a safety window inserted in it is definitely out of place. The bathroom is very pokey with a small ugly shower. There are a lot of stains around the room which could use some fresh paint or scrubbing. The corridor is old and smelly with old carpeting. The continental breakfast was disappointingly average with packaged foods and nothing fresh.

I didn't mind the hotel and our room for one night but would find something nicer in Lyon next time. Lyon is a beautiful city and I highly recommend it for a visit.

Room Tip: If you can stand the noise, I would recommend the deluxe Bellecour rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank greenladybourne
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on this site.
We are delighted that your stay in our beautiful city of Lyon you liked.

We have noted your comments about the bathroom and hallways and we pass on to our management that will take them into account in future renovations. Note that the common hallways just been renovated: new carpet has been laid and the ceiling has also been refreshed with new lights.

Soon you soon,

L. SERPOL and the entire team of the Hotel Bayard Bellecour

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My mom and I stayed 2 nights at the Bayard in May of 2014. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a short climb to the reception area of the hotel where you check in and no elevator/lift. When we arrived at receptions we were greeted by Orlando, a friendly young student who showed us to our room at the very end of the hallway to the back of the hotel. After seeing all of the photos of the rooms at the Bayard we were frankly disappointed with our room. The size was fine as there was only two of us, however there was only one small double bed for the two of us and we had requested two beds. My mom mentioned this to the staff at the front desk as we could already foresee that we would not be getting a good nights sleep in the room assigned to us. It was evident that there were open rooms at the front of the hotel but we were informed that these were reserved for locals. Although this could have been an interpretation error, it was too bad to hear that we were second in line for a good quality room because we came from abroad.

The wifi did not work the first day we were there, but being a short distance from Starbucks we used theres to check in with family at home. We also noticed that there was only one plug in to charge things in the room and this was the one that the television was plugged into (this was fine for us as we had no intention of watching tv during our stay so unplugged it to charge electronics.)

The bathroom was raised a small step up from the room and the shower, very small, had a large step into it (almost a foot high). Neither my mother nor I have mobility issues so this was not a problem for us, however, the lights in the bathroom kept going out while I was in the shower (not sure if they were motion sensored or shorting out) Regardless, it was a bit of a safety hazard being in the shower in pitch black and having to step out to flick the light switch back on.

I don't intend to make this a completely negative review, as the staff at the Bayard were exceedingly kind and the hotel felt very safe and secure. Additionally, the hotel is in a perfect location for sightseeing in beautiful Lyon. You can also easily walk to Perrache train station if you do not have too much luggage.

Had we been reassigned to one of the larger rooms I imagine my review would be a 5 out of 5. I would certainly recommend the Bayard based on its location and price point, just be sure to know which room you will be assigned to!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment on our establishment. Located in full center of Lyon, on the Bellecour Place, you can stroll indeed in our beautiful city on foot or with public transport since our hotel. Forget your vehicle!

Each room has a different decoration what makes the charm of our hotel! With each stay a new environment.

You booked a classic room from EXPEDIA or HOTELBEDS. Our classic rooms are all on courtyard and with one large bed (queen size) or twin beds. This other rooms you have seen are other categories. We never assign rooms based on clients and their nationalities! We assign rooms based on what guests have booked.

When booking, we never had the information that you want a twin room. Since September 2013 you made ​​the booking, you could send us an email to emphasize your request.
Reservations via the internet sites should not prevent direct contact with hotels.

With the pleasure of receiving you at the time of a forthcoming stay!

Cordially,

L SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR team

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am behind with my review...
This hotel is great! I on two separate occasions in December, 2013 and then again in January, 2014 and both stays were great. The rooms were large and comfortable. The first room I stayed in was towards the back of the hotel and I had to travel a little bit of a maze to get there through the kitchen, but the room was spacious, clean and a good size by European standards. My tv was not working the first night I stayed, but they let me know and had it up and running for me the next day. The second room that they gave me was the blue room that they show on their website and I loved it! Pretty large, kind of quirky and very near the front desk. The bed was comfy, there was plenty of room for my luggage!

The staff could not have been more helpful and courteous. They greeted me by name every time they saw me and always asked me how my day was and if there was anything that they could do for me. The staff allowed me to store my luggage during the break in my stay and when I returned, they had put it in my new room! That was a wonderful surprise for me! They provided good restaurant recommendations, pointed me in the right direction every time for sightseeing and made sure that my stay in Lyon was the best it could be. Based on thei attentiveness of the staff alone, the hotel deserves an excellent review!

But the location of the hotel pushed it over the top for me! The hotel faces Place Bellecour and there is a metro stop right across the street that will take you to all of your connections and get you to anywhere in Lyon. Near shopping, restaurants, in between the rivers, with easy access to the bridges, near so much within walking distance...for the price, I am not sure you could find a better location.

The hotel does not have a lift and you do have to bring your luggage up a flight of stairs to get to the front desk, but because of the service and location I didn't mind at all...

Room Tip: Just be prepared for the flight of stairs to get to the front desk...there is no lift and you don...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Carole,

It is with great pleasure that we read your comments and we are delighted to read your satisfaction!
It's nice to get compliments: your entire team is enthusiastic and well rewarded!

See you soon perhaps during a future stay!

L. SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR team

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Hotel Bayard is located on the Bellecour square, with easy access by Rhone Express and metro from the airport and to the sites in Lyon. It is an older hotel. Be ready to carry your luggage up at least one flight of stairs. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. The room was ok - comfortable bed, spacious with lots of storage, but the decor is worn. Looking old-worldly is different than just looking old. The shower was great, but the bathroom had no storage except a small glass shelf, and there was a dangerous step up to go into the bathroom that we found ourselves having to remember upon exiting.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Sir,

With the pleasure of receiving you at the time of a forthcoming stay!

Cordially,

.L SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR team

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here with 3 other ladies in late May 2014. Rooms were nice, quiet; the location is superb, right off a big plaza area. The location is near the old area which is very pleasant to walk through. The hotel is not on the ground level, so if you have mobility problems you might want to skip this hotel. We went to Les Halles Bocuse for a nice meal and pretty displays of cheese and pastries of all sorts. Very photogenic! We splurged and took the Hop On Hop Off bus which is worth the price. Lyon is a very nice city to visit for 4 days, lots to do and see; also good food with lots of bottles of Rose. Had a very nice taxi driver from the airport to the hotel too; in fact we used him for the return trip. Go to Lyon for a long weekend, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: The rooms in the front of the hotel were surprisingly very quiet when you closed the windows.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Customer,

We sincerely thank you for the comment left on this site. Thank you for your support and hope to see you at an upcoming stay.

Soon,

L. SERPOL et toute l'équipe de l'Hôtel BAYARD BELLECOUR

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were upgraded, hence my 'excellent' overall rating of the property. Our room was massive and the bed seemed larger than a king size. We had two lovely floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Place Bellecour, a desk, cupboard, table and chairs and bathroom. The parquetry floor squeaked with authenticity and the old fireplace and lovely wallpaper gave the room an almost 'museum' feel. We absolutely loved this room. Breakfast was perfect, with good choices, and the desk staff were helpful when we asked questions about cathedrals, shopping and murals. We caught the train from Paris and it was easy to navigate the local underground train system to find ourselves within 50 metres of the front door of the Hotel. The information centre is right across the road and you can buy metro tickets, and get brochures there. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rockbourne
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,

It is with great pleasure that we read your comments about your stay at our hotel. We are touched by your positive and enthusiastic comments and we are pleased that you liked your room AUTHENTIC DELUXE BELLECOUR.

See you soon,

L. SERPOL and BAYARD BELLECOUR team

Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in January. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to the old town and major sights. There are plenty of places to eat and drink close to the hotel. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. The double bed was comfortable ensuring a good night sleep. The staff were friendly and spoke English. I cannot comment on breakfast as I we did not eat at the hotel. There is a branch of La Brioche Doree close by which does excellent coffee and croissants. I would definitely stay here again when visiting Lyon.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the courtyard at the back as this is off the street which might be quite...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear customer,

The team joins me to thank you warmly for your feedback, we are humbled to know that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

With thanks,

L. SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR HOTEL team.