“Well located”

Ranked #80 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Well located”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Located on the Place Bellecour but with no on site parking. We booked parking via the hotel at one of their recommended sites but we couldn't find it so ended up parking at the underground parking on the Place Bellecour which is only 5 minutes away & ended up being cheaper at about 20 euros. We had a room overlooking the Place which I thought may have been noisy but actually it was fine. The room was OK & I thought the breakfast was good (included in our price) - the lady cooked crepes for us without being asked. Wifi was free. The reception & hotel entrance is up a flight of stairs & is nicely quirky. The man on reception spoke good english & was helpful. Very well located for the Tourist Information & for visiting the Old Town & River trips.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Annie,

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on our hotel.
Indeed, our hotel is not standardized and that's what makes its charm! Each room is different in style, his view ...
We are delighted that breakfast you liked and we thank you for appreciating our smile and our home!

Hope to see you again,

L. SERPOL and the entire team of the Hotel Bayard Bellecour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Fantastic location, could not have asked for better. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was basic however there was plenty of space, it was nice and quite during the night and had a nice comfy bed. We did have a room next to the breakfast room which made it a little noisy in the morning, but that was to be expected and did not cause us any disruption. There is no air conditioning, but there was a fan in the room and the windows opened. We had a lovely stay and will certainly be choosing this hotel again!

Room Tip: Due to stairs leading up to this hotel (albeit a short flight) this may not be ideal for travellers...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Customer,

We sincerely thank you for the comment left on this site. Thank you for your support and hope to see you at an upcoming stay.

Soon,

L. SERPOL et toute l'équipe de l'Hôtel BAYARD BELLECOUR
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel was in the perfect location. All sites are within walking distance or a short trip on the metro. We got the most basic room and it was okay. The window opened onto the courtyard but was right across from where the receptionist sits so we didn't feel like we had much privacy. The toilet made awful noises. After flushing it, it made these loud obnoxious sounds for 2 whole minutes! Next time, I would probably opt for a nicer room. The service was great and the staff was helpful. I'm giving them a 4 star rating mainly on location and quality of service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Erika,

We are pleased to read that your stay in our hotel was of the quality you expected. Thank you for all the positive remarks you formulated about our service. For us, it is the best reward of all.

We'll be pleased to welcome you again in our hotel.

Best regards,

Hotel BAYARD BELLECOUR Team
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As everyone notes, the location of this small hotel couldn't be better, right across from Tourist Bureau, various means of transportation, good restaurants, main stop for tourist bus. On the other side of Place Bellecour, the shopping is a bit like Madison Ave, with luxury brand names mixed with other shops. The staff couldn't be more helpful, calling to make reservations, etc. This is a small hotel and there are many room configurations I think. Room 12 has a sitting room from a glass enclosed porch overlooking a small, utilitarian courtyard. My friends stayed in room 6, which had no sitting area.
The hotel is not air conditioned, but each room has a fan and you can open the windows, as we did when I was small. The down side to that is you hear whatever is going on in other rooms with open windows, but if the windows are closed, it is quiet. All of this means in really hot weather, you might not be happy, but the other elements might make up for that.
The $12. breakfast buffet is good, though if all you're looking for is a continental breakfast, you can go around the corner for that. I wanted to support the hotel in every way possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Guillaume61
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Customer,

We thank you for the time spent writing this review.
Every opinion is important to us because they allow us to improve quality.
Our team is young and dynamic, trying to offer every day friendly and professional time to give you complete satisfaction.

Looking forward to welcoming you on a next visit to Lyon,

United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The positives: the hotel is in a good location on rue Bellecour with underground public parking located right across the street. It's also within easy access to great restaurants. The area felt safe. We were in the Deluxe Bellecour. The room is nicely decorated with a large potted live palm tree. It has retained its charm from the past with its nice parquet wood floors, high ceilings and windows, paneling, decor, and marble fireplace. The bed was also very comfortable. The price is very good for being in the city at 118 euros/ night.

The negatives: the room being on the street side, is noisy at all hours on rue Bellecour. The bathroom does not fit in with the decor of the room. It seems to be put in on the cheap as an after thought. The industrial painted door with a safety window inserted in it is definitely out of place. The bathroom is very pokey with a small ugly shower. There are a lot of stains around the room which could use some fresh paint or scrubbing. The corridor is old and smelly with old carpeting. The continental breakfast was disappointingly average with packaged foods and nothing fresh.

I didn't mind the hotel and our room for one night but would find something nicer in Lyon next time. Lyon is a beautiful city and I highly recommend it for a visit.

Room Tip: If you can stand the noise, I would recommend the deluxe Bellecour rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank greenladybourne
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on this site.
We are delighted that your stay in our beautiful city of Lyon you liked.

We have noted your comments about the bathroom and hallways and we pass on to our management that will take them into account in future renovations. Note that the common hallways just been renovated: new carpet has been laid and the ceiling has also been refreshed with new lights.

Soon you soon,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My mom and I stayed 2 nights at the Bayard in May of 2014. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a short climb to the reception area of the hotel where you check in and no elevator/lift. When we arrived at receptions we were greeted by Orlando, a friendly young student who showed us to our room at the very end of the hallway to the back of the hotel. After seeing all of the photos of the rooms at the Bayard we were frankly disappointed with our room. The size was fine as there was only two of us, however there was only one small double bed for the two of us and we had requested two beds. My mom mentioned this to the staff at the front desk as we could already foresee that we would not be getting a good nights sleep in the room assigned to us. It was evident that there were open rooms at the front of the hotel but we were informed that these were reserved for locals. Although this could have been an interpretation error, it was too bad to hear that we were second in line for a good quality room because we came from abroad.

The wifi did not work the first day we were there, but being a short distance from Starbucks we used theres to check in with family at home. We also noticed that there was only one plug in to charge things in the room and this was the one that the television was plugged into (this was fine for us as we had no intention of watching tv during our stay so unplugged it to charge electronics.)

The bathroom was raised a small step up from the room and the shower, very small, had a large step into it (almost a foot high). Neither my mother nor I have mobility issues so this was not a problem for us, however, the lights in the bathroom kept going out while I was in the shower (not sure if they were motion sensored or shorting out) Regardless, it was a bit of a safety hazard being in the shower in pitch black and having to step out to flick the light switch back on.

I don't intend to make this a completely negative review, as the staff at the Bayard were exceedingly kind and the hotel felt very safe and secure. Additionally, the hotel is in a perfect location for sightseeing in beautiful Lyon. You can also easily walk to Perrache train station if you do not have too much luggage.

Had we been reassigned to one of the larger rooms I imagine my review would be a 5 out of 5. I would certainly recommend the Bayard based on its location and price point, just be sure to know which room you will be assigned to!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment on our establishment. Located in full center of Lyon, on the Bellecour Place, you can stroll indeed in our beautiful city on foot or with public transport since our hotel. Forget your vehicle!

Each room has a different decoration what makes the charm of our hotel! With each stay a new environment.

You booked a classic room from EXPEDIA or HOTELBEDS. Our classic rooms are all on courtyard and with one large bed (queen size) or twin beds. This other rooms you have seen are other categories. We never assign rooms based on clients and their nationalities! We assign rooms based on what guests have booked.

When booking, we never had the information that you want a twin room. Since September 2013 you made ​​the booking, you could send us an email to emphasize your request.
Reservations via the internet sites should not prevent direct contact with hotels.

With the pleasure of receiving you at the time of a forthcoming stay!

Cordially,

L SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR team
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am behind with my review...
This hotel is great! I on two separate occasions in December, 2013 and then again in January, 2014 and both stays were great. The rooms were large and comfortable. The first room I stayed in was towards the back of the hotel and I had to travel a little bit of a maze to get there through the kitchen, but the room was spacious, clean and a good size by European standards. My tv was not working the first night I stayed, but they let me know and had it up and running for me the next day. The second room that they gave me was the blue room that they show on their website and I loved it! Pretty large, kind of quirky and very near the front desk. The bed was comfy, there was plenty of room for my luggage!

The staff could not have been more helpful and courteous. They greeted me by name every time they saw me and always asked me how my day was and if there was anything that they could do for me. The staff allowed me to store my luggage during the break in my stay and when I returned, they had put it in my new room! That was a wonderful surprise for me! They provided good restaurant recommendations, pointed me in the right direction every time for sightseeing and made sure that my stay in Lyon was the best it could be. Based on thei attentiveness of the staff alone, the hotel deserves an excellent review!

But the location of the hotel pushed it over the top for me! The hotel faces Place Bellecour and there is a metro stop right across the street that will take you to all of your connections and get you to anywhere in Lyon. Near shopping, restaurants, in between the rivers, with easy access to the bridges, near so much within walking distance...for the price, I am not sure you could find a better location.

The hotel does not have a lift and you do have to bring your luggage up a flight of stairs to get to the front desk, but because of the service and location I didn't mind at all...

Room Tip: Just be prepared for the flight of stairs to get to the front desk...there is no lift and you don...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
HOTEL-BAYARD, Responsable réception at Hotel Bayard Bellecour, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Carole,

It is with great pleasure that we read your comments and we are delighted to read your satisfaction!
It's nice to get compliments: your entire team is enthusiastic and well rewarded!

See you soon perhaps during a future stay!

L. SERPOL and all BAYARD BELLECOUR team