“Struck it Lucky in a Great Hotel”
Review of Le Phenix Hotel

Le Phenix Hotel
Ranked #34 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were upgraded so the room we had was much better than we expected. It was spacious with a bathtub with a spa! Location wise it was across the river and walking distance to everywhere. We were there for Bastille Day ceebrations and got a seat across from the BonParte Bridge where we had dinner and watched the fireworks. We walked back to the hotel afterwards.staff were friendly and. Helpful. Breakfast was included and was substantial. All in all faultless and suited our purposes

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2012

For everyone who needs to us the internet, forget about this hotel. It takes 5 min. to load a simple google street map on my laptop or iPhone or iPad. I needed to urgently send and receive files from my office, well no chance. This task would take an entire day. Only thing is, just as you're almost done, the connection will interrupt, so that you'll have to start from the top. I asked the front desk, but they'll just tell you that everything is normal and that I should check my computer. Grrrrr.

If you're in Lyon during the month of June and July, then you must go to see the performances at the Roman Theaters. The festival is called "Les Nuits de Fourvière"

Room Tip: In the summer, don't take room 402, as this is located just under the roof and therefore very ho...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We arrived atthis hotel after having completed a 14 day cycling trip. It was heaven. Spotlessly clean rooms and they were big rooms and big bathrooms. I had a room overlooking the river on the 4th floor. The windows opened and even though it was street side, I didnt find it too noisy

Staff ere friendly and helpful. It was possible to take public transport to get home. We came from Lyon airport by train although there was a 20 minute walk from the train station.

The location is good, lots of restaurants and snooping near by. Sunday markets across the road as is the embarkation point for the river boat cruise.

Wifi is free and works in the room which is great. Breakfast is expensive and we didnt have it. there is a bakery just around the corner

Initially we we worried because there appears to be nightclubs in the same block but even though we were he on Bastille day, they weren't open of,if they were, I didn't hear anything.

I would thoroughlyf recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river had a nice outlook and opening windows
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A perfectly nice hotel in a great location for sightseeing - right on the Saone River in the Old Town, a short walk from everything in both Vieux Lyon and the Presque'ile section (where the better restaurants are). The room, while small, was clean and adequately furnished. The bathroom was recently renovated with good toiletries. The lobby was charming and had a bar that was open most of the day where one could get snacks. Normally, given the reasonable price, I would give it a "4" rating, but it gets only a "3" for 3 missteps. (1) The breakfast is very plain, considering they charge 13 euros; (2) the windows in our room faced an alley and were not soundproofed, so each morning we were awakened at 5 a.m. by the sound of people putting out trash cans; and (3), most unforgivably, the desk forgot to give us a scheduled wake-up call one morning, resulting in a one-hour delay in our day. Luckily, we were not catching a train or plane that day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Stayed here recently for 2 nights as the starting point for a group wine trip. We found the hotel accomodations to be quite adequate and surprisingly quiet at night. It is convenient to walk to the old parts of Lyon. The hotel staff was variable as other reviewers noted. Some were extremely helpful and others could not communicate at all in English. The breakfast buffet was very nice.

Having traveled extensively in Europe over the years, I would say this is a fairly typical local hotel. If location to the local sites and shopping is important to you then I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights mid June. Well located in the old city by the river. Our room faced the river, was quiet and tastefully decorated.
Staff varied in their friendliness some were great and others were pretty indifferent.
One negative was that I left behind 2 leather jackets in the wardrobe. I was back in Lyon 2 weeks later when it dawned on me that I had forgotten them, so went directly to the hotel. I don't know what effort they had gone to to contact me but I wasn't aware of any. Anyway the girl on the counter discovered that yes they were there and went out the back and presented me with a plastic bag. The jackets hadn't even been folded up they were completely crushed into the bag.
While pleased to have retrieved my property I was completely unimpressed with the lack of care.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2012 via mobile

Wow!!!! This picturesc little hotel is so nice and comfortable. The outside appearance is nothing to what it really is inside. The rooms are super clean and the products offered are a green line.

The colors and contrast in the room, and the flat screen tv's make the room look refreshing and spacious. Attention is great too, although we hardly found people who speak English around the town, the staff at the hotel did and gave us great directions.

• Stayed: June 2012