“Photo from the forth floor of the Saone with passing boat ! Nice 50 deg.”
Review of Le Phenix Hotel

Le Phenix Hotel
Ranked #34 of 196 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

Figures I have a photo attached. Enjoy the stay here. I book the hotel via Expedia the last minuite and received a great rate.
The surrounding is nice and has free parking available on Sunday close by.
Took a walk early this morning and found many nice Boulangeries close by, lots of local niceties breads, very unique. I ordered a Figs loaf and had it all myself with double cafe. Fast service and efficient.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Bob W

Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

Inside of the rooms are clean and ok. Atomsphere is nice and room ia in good shape. We were on the fourth floor and the views are tight with slanted windows.
I was thinking, next time perhaps stay outside and commute in?
close to old Lyon is a good advantage!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 28 October 2012

After a 3 night stay we can appreciate why the hotel received a Trip Advisor commendation. It is an old style hotel on the river front and well located for restaurants, shops, etc. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet, with a reasonably sized bathroom, and, the housekeeping was to a high standard. The breakfast was enjoyable (without being extensive) and good value. The staff were excellent: attentive, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. No hesitation in recommending.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We were visiting Lyon and the hotel offered a great location. The rooms are old and small and the beds are also old and not very comfortable. The bathroom was big but not fantastic.... We had comfortable time but the hotel did definitely is just the location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I am writing this part way through a 6 day stay at Le Phenix on day 3.
Similar to other TA comments, the internet is very slow...VERY!
Our executive suite however certainly makes up for it with double insulated hinged windows which completely blocks out the street noise. Our suite looks over the river and is very comfortable, out friends also haven executive suite and are located in another section of the hotel and agree the size is good.
Staff in general can speak reasonable english and are happy to humour me practising my french.

Unfortunately my only disappoints lie with a lack of communication and commitment to patron comfort. last night the entire hotel was woken twice for 2 fire alarms. Fortunately there was no fire, however waking at midnight and again at 1am is not something you desire when you are paying 150 euro primarily for a place to leave your suitcase in the day and a place to rest at night. The 1 staff member working was not sure what was going on and did not provide much reassurance that no more alarms would go off. In addition he was unable to manage the situation, people led themselves outside with no leadership, and otherwise it was mass confusion and frustration. It appears that he just overrided the alarms with no investigation either into why they were activated, no fire trucks turned up either ??Today i asked some questions to a very arrogant receptionist (woman with glasses, other receptionists are good) who advised me that she was not working last night and thinks it was a technical fault. I asked if the fault was fixed and she again said i was not working last night however it should be fine. She did not seem to concerned that we had broken sleep and I also asked her if the hotel had a massage therapist or a person who they could pay to massage a severe neck cramp that i have persisted with all day secondary to poor sleep. No, however i did think it was a long shot and do realise that fire alarms are necessary, however the management of dealing with a fire needs vast improvement, what if there was a fire? The second time the alarm went only 50% of the hotel patrons evacuated!!

In other side notes, breakfast is 13 euros, however there are a lot of bakeries within 100m walk of this hotel for cheaper food.

The hotel is right in the heart of the old town which is delightful place to be positioned. Also a very close walk into the city. However on day 3 I am already wondering why I booked for 6 days, there are limited destinations of interest for a tourist.

I would also suggest that the hotel provide some milk to compliment the coffee and tea sachets provided.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated, sound proofed rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taqueeney
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The hotel has a great location overlooking the river, reasonable rates (for Lyon), parking (at additional cost) and is within walking distance of the old town. But the hotel itself is dated, tired-looking and in need of an update. I would call it a budget hotel and at the low end of what I expect for a 3-star hotel. The photos make it look better than it really is. I rated it as "average" but it really was "below average" although not quite "poor." Calling it a boutique hotel as one reviewer called it, is misleading.

Our room, #203 did not look anything like any of the photos. It had a lovely view of the river, but it also had a very bad smell...musty, sort of like old cabbage. We thought if we aired out the room it would improve, but it did not. Our clothes smelled upon departure. We mentioned the smell at check-out, but the man at reception did not seem concerned. The room was good sized and clean. Our bathroom had not been updated, but needed to be. The lighting in the bathroom and near the closet was very inadequate---dark actually. Standing at the sink, one could not see well enough to comb hair, apply make-up or shave. A liquid soap dispenser was attached to the wall and amenities were basic. The sink drained very slowly and loudly and one of the bath towels smelled like wax.

As others have mentioned, while the wifi was free, it was extremely slow, which was frustrating.

I noticed that the hallways and reception area had air fresheners that spurted every so often tucked behind vases of fake flowers---perhaps to improve the stale air smells.

The breakfast was below average--basic and bland at best--very disappointing. The buffet area was small so it was often crowded. Items were not replenished and staffing was minimal. To me the pastries appeared to have been reheated from frozen. The second day I brought my own bread and tea which was better than what was served. How they can charge 13 euros is very surprising and it is certainly not worth the price. (our rate included breakfast)

So while the price was right, the hotel itself wasn't. It was adequate, but I wouldn't say it was good. Of the 10 hotels we stayed at on our trip, this one was at the bottom. We will select another hotel for our next visit to Lyon.

Room Tip: Room 203 has a very bad smell and poor bathroom lighting.
1  Thank turtlez
Reviewed 27 September 2012

A fairly good 3 star hotel in Lyon and is in a perfect location right in the old town. Lyon is horrific for traffic so make sure you find out about the car parking arrangements in advance. Reasonably friendly staff some more than others - 1 of the check out girls was very helpful another one was a bit more stern faced. Had an issue actually booking this hotel in the first place - the reservations / reception guy emailed me back saying the hotel was completely full during my selected dates yet I could see availability on numerous bed-bank websites and on the hotels own website!! I didn't bother booking with the hotel directly over this as I felt I would have more come back with booking.com if there was any issue with the booking (which there wasn't)

Some negatives, WiFi is painfully slow - its a free service provided by an external company. Its usable for browsing, forget about any uploading / downloading of pictures PDFs etc. A 4mb file will come down in approximately 20 minutes.
I was in the shower one morning and all the water to the hotel stopped. Cold and hot. Lovely. Just what you need. Came back on after about 20 minutes and didn't breakdown again. Not sure what happened - perhaps water shortages?
We were supposed to have a rear facing room but actually got a front facing room on the third floor out to the river with a fairly nice view. Not sure whether this was an upgrade or not as we had a junior rear facing suite booked - not sure if this was a junior suite or not that we got. The room itself had been recently modernised and was fine - the bathroom hadn't been and was functional I guess you'd call it. An orange bath and sink form maybe the 1960's I would say. Also, the shower as others have noted is a joke - its barely hanging onto the wall and at a very low level but the power out of it is fine. I noted rooms 302 and 303 have new modern bathrooms so maybe their getting around to 301. Room was totally soundproofed from street noise which is good, beds were fine and comfortable and a good nights sleep was had.

The breakfast was ok - not a huge choice but enough to get you going. Constantly running out of things like hot water even bread. Very annoying and seems to take a good while before they were refilled. Also, on 1 morning there was nowhere to sit down as they make up approx 15 tables yet there are 36 rooms in the hotel. A very nice girl (same one from reception) quickly made up a table for us in another room.

So there you have it, a few issues no showstoppers though. Would I recommend the hotel and would I stay here again? I probably would as the location is good, the staff are fairly good, and is one of the very few reasonable priced hotels in the old town. Again TA really should have a better scoring system i.e. good rather than average or very good. The hotel was better than average but I would not say very good just good. I think again if you bear in mind this is a 3 star hotel and not 4 you will be ok.. Lyon is lovely give it maybe 3 nights to see it properly.

1  Thank max29
phenix5, Responsable relations clients at Le Phenix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Dear sir,

We are very surprise about your critic, it is such incredible : in general our dear guests find The Phenix Hotel a very lovely place to be in Lyon, for 01 or 02 or 03 nights, or more ! It is really a Boutic Hotel from the label CHATEAU & HOTEL COLLECTION, very demanded.
We can just say you that the second floor view over the river will be renovated at the end of the year, rooms and vestibules.
We hope to see you again in the hotel,
Best regards.