“Excellent, authentic Japanese food”
Review of Tomo

Tomo
Ranked #162 of 3,268 Restaurants in Lyon
Price range: US$20 - US$65
Cuisines: French, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent, authentic Japanese food”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Superb, authetic (read: not French-fied) Japanese food, prepared thoughtfully and sensitively. Fabulous sake selection. Dinner here is an experience. Lunch is a steal. The staff is shockingly friendly and helpful, and one non-Japanese lady speaks excellent English. I can't recomment it highly enough.

Visited June 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Japanese food”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Food was fantastic and the staff were lovely. We ordered off the a la carte menu but you could also order set menus as other reviewers have mentioned. Service was prompt. There were a number of Japanese people eating at the restaurant which is always a good sign to judge the quality of the Japanese food. The chef intermittently came out to meet diners which was a nice touch.
I would have to say that the highlight of the meal was the tea smoked creme brûlée. It was amazing - if I could have eaten two, I would have!

• Visited May 2012
Bern, Switzerland
“Lovely cooking from Chef Tomo”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Situated just two blocks from the Rhone River, Restaurant Tomo is a great choice for the diner looking for well prepared French food or for a twist, traditional Japanese food. Being that we were in Lyon for one night, we decided to go with the French menu. There were perhaps 12 diners having the Japanese menu, but only 2 couples had the French. We decided to go with the full four-course menu, and ordered a bottle of, what would in the end be a little too sweet, 2011 Viognier. For the amuse, the chef presented mango w Spanish ham, a single cherry tomato stuffed with olive tapenade, and a perfect piece of tuna with cucumber and caviar (surely a sign that the chef COULD prepare some amazing sushi if he wanted to). Our starter was Foie gras with sesame, lemon, strawberry & black pepper, I was really impressed with the cleanliness of this dish and it may well be my favorite. Fish course was White fish, pine nuts, asparagus, and yellow squash which was my wife's favorite on the evening. Another hit was the lobster tail with saffron gnocchi. Perhaps the only 'miss' on the night was the Lamb with tomato and peppers, which was just flat undercooked. I really enjoyed what was edible, but my wife left a fair bit of meat on the plate. For dessert, a fine panna cotta w grapefruit and champagne jelly- while I'm a lover of chocolate, and typically thing a meal isnt a meal without some chocolate, this refreshing dish was a great finale.

All in all this place was a hit. I would absolutely recommend it, and the staff were phenomenal and spoke perfect english to help us through a few local veggies we didnt know.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank RoamingJerome
Lyon, France
“perfect quality”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This restaurants provides either Fench or Japanese cuisine. We went to the Japanese "side" with a "degustation memu",:perfect execution, very fresh produces, very creative combinations. Obviously the chef masters techniques at the hightest levels,even for the most simple outstanding silky tastefull rice. Service is absolutely charming.

• Visited January 2012