“Good value for Money”

Hotel Lyon Metropole
Ranked #19 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 5 September 2012

There are some hotels which pose and boast too much but offer almost nothing and there are some like this one which quietly provide all the things a guest needs to make his stay comfortable. Metropole is one such place and finds high rating in my books. Well maintained rooms clean and tidy and had King sized Balinese bed, sleeping on these was very gratifying. Awesome swimming pool and recreational area, sauna, spa and Jacuzzi were magnificent and very refreshing indeed. Staff was intimate and polite and gave high quality services with absolute professionalism. Location of the hotel is not bad either, surroundings are quite and peaceful, overall wonderful place to stay and suited for all types of visitors.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We recently travelled through France and chose Lyon as a good 'stopover' to break up the journey back to Calais. We arrived at around 5pm to be greeted by the 'voiturier' who promptly took our suitcase and then parked the car in the underground car park. Checking in was wonderful with the most pleasant receptionists; The customer service was fantastic. The room was very big with a lovely bathroom. Attention to detail could be seen everywhere. There were 'male' and 'female' bath robes and slippers on hangers; I immediately changed and headed to the Wellness Spa for a well-earned massage whislt the rest of my family enjoyed the Olympic-size swimming pool. The evening meal and breakfast that were served were fabulous. There is not one bad comment that I can make about this hotel. It deserves its 4 stars and more. We are definitely going back to stay again but for longer this time!! One night at this hotel was not enough!!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the pool which was lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We have just arrived back from a romantic 5-day visit to Lyon. We chose Metropole because it had a discount offer and because we saw pictures of the pool. My overall opinion is very positive and I can recommend this hotel to families with kids all ages, couples, friends and solo travellers but not for business travellers.

Let's start with the only slightly negative thing. This hotel was built around the 60s and was renovated several times. But the building itself is very 60s-like, so don't expect any architectural esthetic orgasm. While I was sitting at the pool seeing the facade of the hotel I could imagine the young Alain Delon and Godard having party in the suite.

The hotel is a bit far from the city centre but it is situated on the bank of River Saone. Very calm and green neighborhood.

The rooms are more 3-star than 4 except that there is LCD tv in the rooms - but no minibar! You can feel the 60s in the bathroom and the toilet.Otherwise the rooms are very clean, comfortably sized and have view either on the pool or the river Saone. But who cares about the room when you have so many things to see in the city and you just come back for a sleep? Plus you have free wifi everywhere in the hotel.

The real suprise comes when you enter the wellness area, which is fabulous! It has a huge - and I mean HUGE - outdoor pool, a 25-meter indoor pool, an amazing fittness room, a separate gym for kids and all kinds of massage things. The wellness area is über 5-star!

The breakfast selection is not wide, but enough. The croissant is perfect as it is everywhere in France. And I had the best scrambled eggs ever in this hotel. I don't know how they make but it is just perfect. Just like the restaurant. The dishes are very tasty, well-prepared and the staff takes themselves and the guests very seriously. Prices are like everywhere in Lyon.

The staff was very kind and helpful and laughed a lot at my French. They helped us with all kinds of requests though not extraordinary ones.

So overall this hotel was a good choice and especially cost-effective.

Some practical suggestions.

1. Lyon is one of the most beautiful historical, romantic cities I have ever visited. A Paris without the Eiffel tower. The public transportation is exellent, so don't waste money on taxis. The bus No. 40 stops in front of the hotel and takes you right into the city center. Buy a day pass which is valid for all buses, trams, metro, trolley and even the funiculaire that takes you up to the cathedral. It costs EUR 5 for a day. You can buy it from vending machines or travel officies (at Place Bellecour, the end station of the bus 40). Single ticjets cost EUR 1,60 or 2 on the bus so the day pass is a bargain.

2. The best way to get to the hotel from the airport is taking the Rhone Express train. It goes every 15 minutes or half hour. Go to the end station Gare Part-Dieu, where there is a taxi station. Take the cab there. The train ticket costs EUR 24 (via online at www.rhonexpress.fr), the taxi costs EUR 20 from the train station. From the airport to the hotel you may pay up to EUR 80 but at least EUR 56.

3. If you come with kids, take them to the Parc de la Tete d'Or. It is fantastic! There is the zoo, a lake with boats, a small train, ducks walking freely, botanic garden, rose gardens - everything to entertain them. And it's huge. We spent 4 hours walking around. Then eat at the Le Pavillon restaurant! Nice French food.

4. All tourists go to the Old Town for dinner. You may try the bouchons there but don't expect a culinary experience. They cook for tourists. Instead I can recommend the Zinc Zinc restaurant for fine dining near the Centre du Commerce.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KrisztianSzabados
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Not a bad place. Until our last moments there we very much enjoyed our stay. Here is what happened:

We had a rental car and needed to return it with the tank full. Unfortuantely, all of the late hours gas stations now require credit cards with smart chips. As technologically backwards (and arrogant Americans) we seem to be slow to this game.

The front desk graciously offered to have someone fill the tank for us on their card if we paid cash, and would bring a reciept. All seemed to go well; although, 13L seemed a bit much for 1/8 tank on a little Peugeot. All in all 20 EUR.

The next morning we had a very early train. When I went to the car, which had been moved, I found that NO GAS had been added to it. Apparently, whoever was sent to fill the tank, filled their own, not ours and left us without any ability to fill our tank the next morning before turning the car in...in addition to stealing our money.

I explained to the front deks what happened. Of course, he wanted to document everything, copies of receipts, etc. Nice offer, but I had a train to make. Now I'm waiting to see how much Hertz is going to ding me at 8.00 EUR/L (adding insult to injury).

Although Metropole has my name and my complaint, no one has bothered to contact me. Not even an apology. Had they done that, I would have kept this private.

If it weren't for this, I'd give the place 3 1/2 to 4 stars for what it is. The pool is nice, but it is open to the public as a swim center. Definitely ask for one of the few rooms with a "balcon."

The location is away from the city. Be prepared for a 20 EUR cab fee to get anywhere if you don't have a car.

One note, they (like many French hotels) will add breakfast to your room charge even if you don't have it. Just ask for it to be removed.

Except for the theif, the staff could not have been nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a "balcon" (balcony).
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family and would say that I have no complaints as such, but yes, I could not find anything which would make this place memorable even. Staff was nice, very polite and of course professional. Rooms were of good size with nice bed and modern bathroom, the lobby was really eye-catching though most of us would reject it calling old-fashioned but it was soothing to my eyes. No internet connections in the room were a setback but kids were very happy thanks to large sized swimming pool. Overall not a bad place to stay, good value for money and provides enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel was very good. The room size was the biggest i have ever been to. Very clean. The pool and the spa facilities were great. I managed to find a very good deal for the room, but to eat or drink anything in the hotel costs very high. 18 euro for breakfast did not worth it.
It is not close to the city, you have to take the public transport and there is only one bus which went to the city. To come back late you had to take the tube and than do a 20min walk.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel from 22nd May to 25th May 2012. Hotel is good but price performance ration is not good. The room service has very limited menu and i had to call several times to clear off my table

Quality & quantity of food served are average and nothing oustanding. Recently I visited turkey and the i learned what is hospitality. This hotel is just opposite what I received the warmth at turkey.

If I am to mention any one great thing about the hotel , I do not have any thing to mention

Room Tip: Room facing the river
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business