My husband and I work in Paris and wanted a three day break from our busy schedules, so we decided to stay at the Lyon Metropole Hotel. Upon arrival, we noticed construction work on the facade of the building and were a bit annoyed. Once we entered the hotel, however, we were wonderfully welcomed by a charming receptionist, who told us that we had the great fortune of being placed next to the elevator with direct access to the pool. When we got to our room, we noticed that our wonderful "view" was temporarily blocked, and we were eye to eye with construction workers on our individual patio. Of course, the windows/door were locked to prevent us from going outside (for our safety). However, that meant that 1. We had to keep our curtains closed the entire trip and could never see the sun, or walk around half naked and 2. We could never air our the room if desired. That was just one horrible incident of the trip. Here are the others:
1. The decoration at this hotel isn't the greatest. They were pretty much stuck in the 60s or 70s (especially at the pool area), but that's not even the worst part. The plants at this 4 star hotel are plastic!!! I'm a sucker for design and plants, so this really got to me.
2. We had no coffee or tea machine in our room. The hotel is far from the center (by foot), so you're practically obliged to buy their $18 breakfast. We brought pain au lait and other snacks as well as bottled water, so we didn't have to buy breakfast at the hotel.
3. Maitre D at the restaurant totally ignored us, and catered to the older (and obviously well off) clientele, as well as the "regulars". As soon as they left, his smile left, and he hardly spoke to us. There was no "hello" "how was your meal" or "goodbye". Fortunately, the waiter made up for this and was hospitable.
4. Going back to the construction work, my hubby and I never got to sleep past 7:50 AM, when our whole goal was to sleep in and rest...So we spent our days walking around town, or by the pool...So very aggravating. We asked for another room, and were told that there was a company event taking place on the other side of the hotel, and that they'd be making noise all night long (the DJ), so it was best to stay where we were. I felt as if they should have at least offered us breakfast or some other gesture given the amount of money we were paying.
Now, for the good points, because, despite all of this, there are some.
1. They have a marvelous pool outside and inside, as well as heated sauna "trail" outside. We took advantage of this every day.
2. The food at the restaurant was wonderful.
3. The massages are great, although expensive for the length given. The ladies who work at the spa are wonderful, in particular Claire.
There you have it. I would never go back to this hotel...again.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Lyon Metropole reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Metropole Hotel Lyon
- Lyon Metropole Hotel