“A dim disappointment, and without the garage we had expected”

Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #18 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 15 September 2011

This hotel is actually a Mercure, although it doesn't advertise itself as such.

Two of the reasons we chose this hotel were that it was in walking distance (or a metro ride) from the restaurant where we planned to eat and it had a garage (according to the Michelin guide), unlike most of the hotels in the area. So when I checked in, I asked how to get to their garage. Have you reserved, I was asked? No, I didn’t know I had to. Well, you had better put it in public parking. (Horrified gasp) We have a new (extremely expensive car). We can’t put it in public parking. And the reply? Well, that’s where we put our cars. They’re in a separate section, but it’s public parking. Interesting!

By the way, to unload and load the car, we had to pull up on the sidewalk on the corner of the hotel. There is no ability to park in front of the hotel for unloading/loading.

Our room was very tiny and very dimly lit for the 173.30 Euros we were paying, including breakfast, but after all, as I was told when I arrived, I was checking in to the best hotel in Lyon!

There were no sheer curtains, so to have any privacy (our view was into a courtyard), we had to keep the heavy draperies closed, keeping the room even dimmer. There was no overhead light, just one small lamp over the desk, two bed lamps that must have had the equivalent of 25 watt bulbs in them, and two tiny spotlights on flexible stems for reading in bed. The comforter was very thick (probably) down and the mattress seemed to have the same down quilting on its top -- probably loved by some guests. We like a firm bed, and this one was fairly firm below the topping.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chandolin
Write a ReviewReviews (1,375)

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I booked a one night stay in March to stay in the hotel during late August. We arrived to check in at 3pm, when check in is midday and the room still wasnt ready. Reception advised us that it wouldnt be ready for another hour. But if you only have that afternoon/evening to see little of Lyon you dont want to wait around a hotel lobby . We eventually had to leave our bags in the lobby and venture out in Lyon the way we were (without freshening up). When I booked the room in March I also ordered the Macarons from Sebastien Bouillet from one of the hotels packages, when we eventually got to our room we had the macarons waiting but not by Sebastien Bouillet. I was so dissapointed becuase I was promised something and it wasnt delivered. Reception told me that Sebastien Bouillet store was closed on Mondays. Since I had this room booked since March I expected that they at least notify me of this, so I told them and they took the macarons away. When I checked out they gave me a 30% discount because of my experience but it still leaves me with a bad experience.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

I have been staying at this elegant Lyon landmark for ten years or so, during which it has been, on balance, sadly neglected by the ACCOR chain. Starting out at first as a top-of the line SOFITEL, it dropped down to the mundane Mercure range, and now is being touted as one of the new MGALLERY (hotels with soul) category. Its location on the Place Bellecour is outstanding, and its public rooms pleasant. Its restaurant (a training operation for the Paul Bocuse hospitality empire) provides an exceptional breakfast. Its staff are mostly but not universally helpful. The main problem: some of the rooms are simply too small for a hotel of this sort, and seriously scuffed as well. Having made a fuss, I was upgraded to something still small but much nicer. However, the bloom was off the rose. Message to ACCOR - get your branding operation in order: either raise your game in the MGALLERY category or drop the range.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Lovely place to stay, great beds, very pleasant staff. And the decoration of this hotel is just fabulous! Someone extremely talented did this, charming, chic and tasteful!! I'd stay again!

Reviewed 31 August 2011

This hotel truly is beautiful! Our room was clean, nicely decorated and very spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. We loved the small touch of getting a note about the next days weather. The only negative would be the staff who seemed a bit snooty. The location is ok, very central - but i would have preferred being closer to the old town. Keep your eye out for the farmers market near the water...amazing!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

If you want to eat great food at reasonable prices, head for this hotel's great chef, Cyril Bosviel. We stayed here and every meal was a delight. We're only sorry we didn't all our meals there. I don't know why he doesn't have a star, but he should. I understand he trains chefs at the cooking school there. The hotel was lovely, and the location good, but the main attraction was the chef.

Stay away from Sud, one of the mid-range restaurants opened by Paul Bocuse--overpriced, terrible food and really bad service.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ceilidhnewyork
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Le Royal Lyon is a wonderfully luxurious hotel perfectly situated on Place Bellecour. Our room, a Royale Luxe, was plenty of space for two and was super-clean. We booked a package that included breakfast (an excellent selection of tastes so beautifully presented) and a glass of champagne in their oft-vacant lounge. The sitting room just off the lobby is a cozy place to wait for a cab or recline after a long day of exploring. This place did not disappoint ~ I could stay here again and again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family