“My favorite hotel to stay at while traveling in France” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection

Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #22 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Boston, Massachusetts
“My favorite hotel to stay at while traveling in France”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

The room was excellent with a lovely quality down bedding and the room size was large, modern, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was large and modern as well. Yes, the shower could be quirky but I arrived from Paris where the shower flooded the bathroom, so this was heaven! The location was excellent with several restaurants and a very good wine & cheese shop on the square (Maison Pignol).
The hotel has a restaurant as well but was not open on the day of my arrival. I chose to go the 2nd evening and was not dissapointed! My dinner was excellent!
The only things that bothered me were the following and would have rated a top review. The hotel staff/reception periodically voiced with body language and verbal that "you are stupid and don't know the french way". It was annoying. When I decided to go the the hotel restaurant l I was asked if I had a reservation. I was a single women traveling alone, do I really need one? My reply was I am staying in your hotel, do I really need one? I was seated promptly. The last bit of advice if you are coming in from Paris via the high speed train, get a cab to the hotel, your feet will thank you. Lyon is a beautiful city with 2 rivers on each side, I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank badsaltydog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel Le Royal in Lyon on a one-day business trip to the region. The hotel is in a great location, friendly staff, and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. The only downside was that upon my arrival from a 14 hour flight, I needed a quick shower and change before a meeting - and was informed that there was no hot water at the time. Given it was 5C and raining, I was a bit annoyed as a cold shower is not what I had in mind after my long trip. The staff was very apologetic and the hot water issue fixed before evening. However, this did leave an overall negative feeling about my stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank peakinmotion
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

We spent only one night in Le Royal but wish we could have stayed longer. The hotel sent an English version email following our stay asking for our review. I did so, and was candid. (The only flaw was a non-functioning hair dryer and a misunderstanding about the breakfast.) They were quick to respond and explain how they had handled these minor problems. But I would rather emphasize the good service, the very nice and very large (especially by French standards) corner room that overlooked the Bellecour Square. The hotel's dining room is very welcoming and comfortable. Do make dinner reservations as it appears that locals like to dine here too. I would say that I think the breakfast, at 20 Euros (with or without eggs, I am still unsure how it is priced) was pricey. WiFi is free but disallows the use of Skype. Otherwise, we loved this hotel and would absolutely return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the junior suite, which is really just a very large room with good lounge chairs.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MarELor
Woodbridge, ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

WE are leaving tomorrow and we were very pleased with the hotel. Although the room was a bit on the small side it was very clean and attractive. Every thing looked new and stylish. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It is in a very good location, in front of Place Bellacour(under renovation) and just 10 minute walk to old town. We got a good deal on Booking.com and would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have stayed at the Hotel Royal several times and have always enjoyed our visits. The service is consistently professional. The rooms and bath have several nice luxury touches. The desk staff is professional and helpful but not particularly inviting. The location overlooking Bellecour Square is lovely and convenient. I recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Danville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed here for two nights during our month long trip to France celebrating our 25th anniversary, so we splurged on a Suite Royale Bellecour room. Our check-in was very smooth, and the bellman took special care of our bicycles. However, we couldn't get the key to our room to work; neither could the bellman. One of the maids had to let us in; the bellman said that someone would be right up to fix it- it worked afterwards, but only with much jiggling and tugging. The suite was indeed beautiful- lovely decor, separate sitting room, TWO bathrooms, and bedroom with a supremely comfortable bed. Unfortunately, the Place Bellecour was being torn up, so our anticipated view was a bust. Also, neither of the bathroom sinks would hold water (one was missing the pull-up knob), and the floor lamp in the sitting area flickered like a strobe light when turned on- these problems remained unfixed even after bringing them to the attention of the front desk. Breakfast on both mornings was strange- an ocean of unbussed tables, and so many students in the small kitchen space where the buffet was that it was almost impossible to make selections without getting bowled over by one of them. However, everything was very good once you ran the gauntlet. The location of the hotel is great, but I'll never understand how the Place Bellecour is described as one of the most beautiful in France, regardless of renovations underway- if you go for rust colored cement, this is the Place for you! Get a room with a different view!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Le Royal Lyon for three nights. My room was satisfactory, if on the small side..pretty typical of a large city hotel. My room faced the main street and thanks to the double glass was very quiet. I was surprised that the staff did not turn down the beds at night. The breakfast was adequate but was served in an interior room with no windows. The cocktail lounge where afternoon tea is supposedly served was minimalist and I did not see a waitperson at any time. All in all, it was clean and convenient but for the price, you might take a look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo