“Fine Hotel - Best Location”

Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #22 of 196 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A classic European 5 star hotel that has recently been updated and redecorated. We enjoyed two nights in a large, lovely room with good service and premium bath amenities. Located on the small island between the Rhone and the Soane rivers, the hotel is in easy walking distance of the old city (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) and Lyon's best shopping. Many excellent restaurants are close by and Le Royal is the home of the Paul Beaucuse cooking school. If travel brought us back to Lyon, this is where we'd stay - for sure.

Room Tip: If this is important to you, be sure to check if the bathroom has hand rails in the tub. Tubs are ne...
1  Thank SaloneeToronto
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Great location if you want to explore Lyon. Stylish entry and bar. My room had a good size, however some others in our party had very small rooms for the price they paid. However we were rather disppointed by some of the service we received: bar closed exactly at midnight, no exception despite us being with good dozen people celebrating a birthday. When we came home on saturday post dinner at 11:30, again refused to serve us any drinks (even though officially it only closes at midnight). Reception could not get us any drinks to the room either, minibar is a joke (3 soft drinks and a funny dort of beer no one liked). When we inquired about a bar, any bar to go to, we draw a blank from reception. Good breakfast though. Would stay again but make sure i have my own drinks with me.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank looondooon
Patrick G, General Manager at Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry that you have had to endure this unpleasant experience in our lounge "Coté Bellecour". On purpose, our minibars provide only soft drinks and a very specific beer made in Lyon, and I'm sorry if you did not appreciate this service.
I would like to thank you for your nice comment on our breakfast and our great location and
would be really pleased to welcome you on your next stay in Lyon, so do not hesitate to contact me.

Patrick Gainnier

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Basically, I chose this hotel because the rating is pretty high and I was hoping I am paying this good price for a perfect stay. Overall it was not bad but there were too many unpleasant surprises:
- a maid dropped the bottle with water and my book which was near the bed was all wet. she didn't even bother to put the bottle back like it was.
- there was a noise from the pipes (I guess) all night long and I was lucky I took my ear plugs
- the view from the room was absolutely terrible - some dirty roof and no light at all
- also in my bathrobe I found a used razor with someone's hair! it was very unpleasant.
I stayed several times in different hotel in Lyon and this one was the most expensive one and the worst, sorry.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Patrick G, Directeur général at Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

I apologize that your experience was unsatisfactory and will address your comments with the relevant satff. You may contact me at H2952-GM@accor.com if you wish to provide further details so we can provide better service on your next stay.

Patrick Gainnier

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel. Just the place we needed for a good nights sleep after a long flight from Australia. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. There is free parking and wifi and it's right across the road from the tourist office. We could walk easily to all the sights and lovely restaurants.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My friends booked into this hotel for one night recently after leaving the Loire Valley a day early. All seven of us were totally wowed by this hotel. We were able to get a reasonable price through Expedia though it is an expensive hotel, even with a deal. Having said that, it is a delightful hotel with all the amenities and extras you would expect in a five star hotel. Rooms are charming and comfortable. Bedding and bath linens are luxurious. Everything is spotless. The location, right on Bellecour, is terrific.

The staff is really wonderful - attentive, helpful and they go that extra little to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Hotel Le Royal was truly high in quality in all respects. Indeed, it was exceptional. The room was extremely spacious with a fantastic bed, Lighting was excellent, and we had a splendid view from our window. This classy accommodation provided a massive bathroom with shower and a large bath. A lift provided access to the rooms.
The staff were friendly, exceedingly helpful and blessed with a sense of humour.
Lyon was a city that we had not visited before, and this hotel was conveniently located adjacent to the historical older part of the city, between two rivers, with public transport, restaurants and shopping all close handy.
The old town was stunningly beautiful in architecture, and full of character and charm. The city of Lyon was maybe a more spacious, slower version of Paris in some ways.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Just perfect for us, situated in the lovely Bellecour, gorgeous views from our elegant round suite, deliciously comfortable beds, discreet friendly staff. Would go again in a heartbeat. Close to the riverside markets on the weekend. A jug would be a nice addition to the rooms and if i was being picky i'd say the furniture is not as beautiful as the room and bed are but not a problem at all. The other thing is that the restaurant is wonderful but if all you want for breakfast is a croissant and a cafe au lait then it is a little expensive to eat there.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to the round suite then do. the doors and windows open onto the square but the do...