“Beautiful decor, great location”

Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #23 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful decor, great location”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Wanted a hotel that was a bit different from the normal chains and we definitely found that here. The decor of the public rooms and bedrooms was lovely, even down to the framed silk prints on the corridor walls and the silver fobs on the door key.

Staff we dealt with were hepful and welcoming and our room was beautiful - one set of windows and one set of french doors overlooking the square. Huge comfortable bed that was turned down nightly, with chocolates left one night, sweets the next. We were also given a tin of tea and free water.

Corridor lights are activated by movement, so come on as soon as you appear . The front door of the hotel , which opens onto Place Bellecour, is locked at night, which gives a feeling of extra security.

Had no problem finding the hotel. We drove in from Vichy, to the west, and had prebooked parking, as they do not have a car park that is actually at the hotel. We also walked down from Fourviere, the amphitheatre that sits atop of Lyon, at midnight, and felt perfectly safe doing so.(Summer concerts are held in the amphitheatre - we had tickets for Jamie Cullem and can truly say it was one of the best concerts we have ever been to)

All in all, lovely hotel in a great location.

1 Thank Tubster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Excellent location, clean, quiet, and a fantastic conceriege named Habib. He was super helpful. He took lots of time with us and gave us excellent choices on dining, currency exchange and more. Extremely nice and helpful man.

The breakfast was an experience. Everyone needs to do it. It's so France. The food was fantastic, the service incredible, and the ambience of the breakfast room perfect. So what if its 20euros. If you can't do a 20euro breakfast stay home and get the crap at Bob Evans. This is food at its best.

My only criticism is that the women at the front desk were chilly and not helpful at times. I had a phone card and asked if it would work in the hotel room phone. The women working the desk was shaming as if I was doing something bad or illegal. I didn't like that. They seem to need more training in customer service.

I do recommend this hotel and I would return with no hesitation.

Thomas Rush
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I don't know what it was about this hotel but I loved it. It sits right on a corner of a central square in Lyon. Its very clean, rooms are great but there's something else. Its details maybe. I notice little things - mostly because they annoy me. For example the light switch near the bed is too far away - stuff like that. Not a single detail in this hotel annoyed me in the slightest. Someone in this hotel is paying very careful attention to everything and everything that is out of place or not working properly is fixed - at least everything in our rooms was. A wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jayrush
Thailand
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Living overseas but from Geneva, I decided after 40 years to finally visit Lyon... I selected Le Royal based on this website's review, and I was not disappointed. Le Royal is a very pleasant hotel with a homely kind of countryside feeling in the middle of Lyon. Very well located on Place Bellecour. We were kindly assigned a very nice suite in a Rotonde over the square, a very nice first impression of this delightful city, which we were able to enjoy walking through the old part without having to take much taxis and public transportation.
The breakfast and the way it is displayed with fresh local products was a delight. We had the feeling of taking the dishes from kitchen in a private home. I have no point of comparaison in Lyon but can only recommend Le Royal to whoever wants to have a nice breakaway in this city. Thank you.

Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I find France to be a difficult country for hotels, so I was happy to see that Le Royal had quite good reviews on this website. And rightly so! Although it's not sheer luxury, the hotel is well appointed and very well maintained, and occupies a nice building right on the main square of Lyon.

We had a room on the top floor (5) which I believe has lower ceilings than the other floors, but it was absolutely fine. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated, light, and very clean. As another reviewer remarked, the aircon seemed slightly feeble: there is not much cold air coming out, but we kept it on during the entire day and that did the trick (just). The bathroom was usual size, but the bath tub seemed larger than usual. Shower was fine, but the temperature fluctuated a little bit which I think should not be the case in a hotel of this category. Breakfast is madly expensive at 22 euros per person; I think only business travellers are prepared to spend that much (and we didn't think of asking for a cheap continental breakfast as another reviewer suggests - brilliant idea!).

The only drawback to this hotel is that it does not connect very well with the airport bus. The bus only calls at Part-Dieu and Perrache railway stations, the latter being the closest at 10-15 minutes walk or 2 metro stops. But perhaps the best thing to do is to get off the bus at either Grange Blanche or Mermoz-Pinel and change to metro line D there, which runs straight to Bellecourt square. This could easily save you 30 minutes travel time from the airport to the hotel because you avoid the traffic in the centre.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Newton
Reviewed 11 June 2009

My wife, my 4 year daugther and I stayed at this hotel for one night. Proximity to shopping, subway and restaurants made it very convineant for us to get around. Frontdesk was extremely professional and helpful. Deluxe room that we stayed in was big enough and was extremely comfortable. The bed was extremely comfoy that actually made us oversleep. If you are in Lyon for pleasure or business, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
california
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Very nice hotel in a great location. Close to metro and within walking distance to all the interesting places.

Our deluxe room (522) was pretty large. Nicely furnished with in somewhat of a French country style. Flat screen TV (2 English channels : CNN and BBC). Very comfortable king bed. Very large new bath with hand shower attachment. We specifically asked for a high floor, room in the back since some reviews suggested the [Bellecouer] square out front could get loud at night in the weekend. That actually does not seem to be the case and the windows seemed to be double-glazed. All the common areas and the breakfast rooms are very well decorated.

On breakfast, we were not into paying 22 euro each for the standard buffet deal. Besides being expensive, we are generally not into stuffing ourselves in the morning. There are a number of brasseries and cafés right around the hotel for a coffee and baguettes/croissants. However, they were all closed on Sunday morning. So we asked the hotel whether we could have essentially a continental breakfast. No problem. They gave us coffee/tea, juice and a generous amount of bread/pastry for 10 euro each.

All in all, a place we will definitely come back to if we can get the rate we were paying – 140 euros per night (weekend rate) whereas the posted rate is over 300 euros.

Finally, most of the other guests seemed to be well heeled French. Compare with us, they dressed classier and have better luggage – but hi, we are from Silicon Valley …. That reminded me of one more thing. WiFi is not free. It is actually provided by Orange. I paid 15 euro for 10 hours. That sounded steep but I can use the 10 hours over 30 days which actually worked out quite well since (all the Accor hotels in France uses them and I rarely use more than an hour a day anyway - and it did save me a fortune on calls back to the US with Skype.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple