“Worst hotel experience ever”

Hotel Le Royal Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #22 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
“Worst hotel experience ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

I stayed at Le Royal for 6 nights and it was one of my worst hotel experiences:
- upon arriving late on Sunday night the receptionist claimed there was no record of my booking and basically told me I was not welcome. I had to find the file for the corporate booking on her desk for her and point out my name. Not great after a long journey
- during my stay I asked concierge for restaurant recommendations (the hotel claims in their brochures that staff specialise in this). Upon arriving at the restaurants I found them closed!
- breakfast was Paul Bocouse food but minute portions and service very unprofessional - it is a training facility and when staff pour your coffee, they shake and stammer as if it is the first time they are doing so. Experience is deeply lacking. Also, on my 5th morning I was told I was too late for breakfast and rudely ordered to sit in the lounge ... Yet the staff took 2 hours to clean the restaurant because they were so slow. While serving me in the lounge, they forgot utensils, ran back and forth and were generally useless.
- when checking out there were gross errors in my bill the check-out process took over 30 mintes and I nearly missed my train as a result.
- in terms of location, there are far more charming places in Lyon. The Bellecour town square is being renovated so looks like a dry wasteland and is a disappointing sight to wake up to every morning.

• Stayed November 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

Beautiful hotel. Comfy bed, nice large bathroom. Great service. Loved the breakfast and dinner. The staff is so nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

Location
Hotel is located centrally at Bellecour (just above Bellecour metro) and is situated beside the "giant clock tower" (there is also a giant sign "Hotel Royal" but is visible only from the front angle).

Nearby places of interest
After exiting the main hotel entrance...
- If you turn left and head straight about 100m and you will reach an intersection / crossing. Turn left again to navigate a mini shopping street (carrefour can be found on the left side of this 800m stretch, you can find Paul (a nice bread shop) as well).
- If you turn right and cross at the nearest junction and head towards the horseman statue, there is another stretch of shopping street direct north of the horseman nose. This will lead you to another shopping street (printemps etc). Check out a funky shop (selling electronic knick knacks etc) on the left during the start of the shopping street.
- If you turn right and cross towards the "giant clock tower", and then walk parallel to the giant building (Le Postal Banque), you can reach the river as well (or make a crossing via the many bridges to other side of town).

Fantastic room
We stayed at the royal luxe room (rm 207), overlooking the busy intersection and with view to the "giant clock tower". The room was very spacious (more than ample space for our 2 large luggage) and there was a complimentary bottle of water as well turn down service, with update via card of next day's weather forecast (small but nice touches). The highlight for our stay there was, surprisingly, the bed (Royal Cocoon) and it was not only large enough for both of us (we are serial turners in bed) but it was so comfortable that my wife and i could not help gushing when we tried the bed eventually at night. There was good number of clothes hangers and presence of free wifi made it more sweet. The only downside was the rather "awkward" shower facility, which is just a bathtub with a built in partial shower screen. Obviously, the shower screen was not really going to work that well to block the water from splashing onto the floor.

The staff is conversant in English, and we had no problems with check in. The hotel staff was also helpful in making taxi arrangements to Paul Bocuse restaurant (ard EUR 29 for one way trip, running on taxi meter).

All in all, we wld recommend this place to travellers looking for a unique and convenient location with which to access Lyon.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

Arrived in midst of riots with burning cars, looted stores, etc. But the hotel staff was professional, quickly secured my car and drove it to a safe garage. They gave us updates daily as to the strike and whether the trains were running. Pleasant and knowledgeable staff.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Our one-night stay at the Hotel Le Royal was wonderful. There was an insane amount of traffic in downtown Lyon but the hotel had us pull right in front, unload our luggage and then they parked our car for us in the garage (cheaper than the public garage) while we were able to settle in.

The design of the hotel is beautiful, very french/modern. Even little things, like free water in the room, made our stay incredibly pleasant. Great location, wonderful staff (thanks Sebastian!) and a great city to visit.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank csc1818
CHERTSEY SURREY KT16 8LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

This is an excellent hotel situate on a large square in central Lyon-withih easy reach of all the attractions.
Our circular room on the second floor overlooked the sqare and was well appointed.
We had a splendid lunch in the restaurant run by The Institute Paul Bocuse.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Royal in Lyon for just one night, but I was very impressed with it. The things I liked best were the relative value, free wi-fi, high-quality room, and the excellent location. The room I booked did not have a view, nor was it extremely large, but it did have two small closets to hang up clothes, a unique desk set up, wonderfully comfortable bed and linens, and very nice bathroom (good size and modern fixtures).

While I didn't get more than 5 or 6 tv channels in the room, I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of free wi-fi in the room.

I honestly would go back to the Hotel Royal if I traveled back to Lyon in the future. I didn't get to experience the restaurant(s), but now I wish I had!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo