“Fantastic hotel”

Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection
Ranked #4 of 196 Hotels in Lyon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. Great room, great staff, great location. Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in too!

It was right near some wonderful restaurants and a short stroll to the river where we were able to have a lovely picnic in the sun.

The staff were really friendly and helpful even though we spoke no French.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sharon K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Had a great one nights stay in this hotel and wished we had more time in Lyon and at The Hotel Carlton Lyon! Stayed in room 223 which was big and lovely...great bed as well and fantastic Breaky.Great staff and location. Loved Lyon, Loved this hotel and can wait to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mfoundas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My sister and I stayed here for 3 nights in July. This hotel was perfectly suited for us. It is modern, very clean, and within walking distance to many restaurants/attractions. The rooms were very large (by European standards), beds were comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good, but served in a small room with limited seating. Just beware this could be an issue when it gets crowded on the weekend.

There was one minor mishap with one of the restaurant reservations that the hotel had made for me. Although the hotel had successfully confirmed my reservation, when we arrived at the restaurant, it was closed! It turns out that they weren’t open on Saturday. I am not sure how this mix-up could have occurred but when I brought it to the hotel’s attention, they offered to make an alternative reservation. Since there were many alternative options nearby, we just decided to take the opportunity to venture out and were happy with where we ended up anyway.

While this was just one negative occurrence, it did not detract from the great overall experience that we had at this hotel and I would certainly come back to stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank demonpanda
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was lovely and well furbished. We enjoyed the two nights we stayed there. Staff were helpful and very friendly. The hotel is so central with lots of shopping and eateries around. It was also close to the tourist information centre and other tourist sites. We even walked from the train station to the hotel took about 25 mins and wasn't to rough on the suitcases we were wheeling.

1  Thank jude w
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Overall, this hotel is a good choice when staying in Lyon. It is well located, nicely decorated (the glass elevator is a nice touch), and comfortable. The standard rooms are actually a very comfortable size for France, with large bathrooms. However, the service did not quite match the standards this hotel seems to be striving for. While the front desk employees were all extremely nice, they were a bit young and didn't seem to be able to offer the breadth and depth of recommendations or guidance with respect to restaurants or attractions that I usually depend on a front desk for. I first noticed this when I contacted the hotel via email for room availability - while the hotel offers online booking, I like to ask if they can provide a room on a particular side of the hotel, on a higher floor, ect. The woman who corresponded with me did not initially provide me with all room options that I saw on the website and with the corresponding prices. Once I was provided with the appropriate room and rate information, I specifically requested rooms facing Place de la Republique; while our rooms were very nice, they did not face Place de la Republique. (I should note that all of my correspondence was written in French, so I don't think my request could have been 'lost in translation.') I was also not very impressed with the restaurant recommendations offered. Again, the front desk staff were extremely pleasant, but I got the sense that the hotel had hired them more for their looks, youth, and demeanor than their experience and familiarity with the city.

Room Tip: Book online
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LucieLM
corinne d, Directeur général at Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience in the Carlton hotel.
I am pleased to read that you liked the hotel, its decoration, the historical lift...
However I am very surprised to read your comments about the staff, who is really one of our assets with a good knowledge of the best spots for visits and restaurants.
For the summer period, we did hire young efficient people who still need to improve their knowledge.
I hope to welcome you again in the future,
Yours faithfully,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

It's really interesting to see the range of views amongst the reviewers of this hotel. I've come out in the middle as some of it was good, but there were lots of glitches with service that you just don't expect in a hotel like this. Good things first - it is in a fantastic location near Place de la Republique and is walkable to pretty much everywhere visitors might want to go. It is part of Accor's M Gallery chain - very boutiquey and heavily designed with red the predominant colour. The design and art are very distinctive - I had a bow and arrow in a glass case in my room! There is a lovely 1930s era caged lift and in terms of facilities there is a spa and small bar but no restaurant (although they clearly have an arrangement with Le Centre next door). Breakfast is in a small room on the first floor which got very crowded at weekends. There are a few things missing that you would expect in a hotel of this category - only a very small lobby area, with not much space to sit, and no business centre. The real problems we had, despite well-meaning and polite staff, were lots of small slips in service that added up to a general feeling of annoyance by the end of our stay. On several days the rooms weren't made up before 2.30 (not good enough for what claims to be a 5 star hotel), our key card stopped working every single day of our trip (no explanation about why) and our attempts to get the complementary newspaper delivered to our room (as they promise) failed every day. So overall it scores highly on location but the other issues mean it's only 3 stars for me.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rue Grolee side of the hotel overlook a building site for the new Boscolo Hotel.
6  Thank Susan8552
corinne d, Directeur général at Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Carlton Hotel in lyon.
I am glad that you really liked our hotel with the location, our historical lift, the design of the hotel, the red stylish colour ...
However, I apologize for the key card problem which is very unsual.
We do receive international newpaper every day available in the lobby, and room service breakfast.
I really look forward to welcome you back in our 4 star hotel (not 5) and I personally remain at your entire disposal for your next stay which will sure be a Memorable Moment.

My mail is : h2950-rd@accor.com

Yours faithfully

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Everything about the hotel was top-notch from check-in to check-out. All the staff was very friendly (desk, car valet, housekeeping). During the whole week we were there, I don't believe I met a staff member who did not say hello. One event which stood out was when we drove in front of the hotel in the pouring rain. When the car valet saw us stuck in the car, he rushed to meet us with an umbrella along with one of his colleagues carrying another umbrella so we got into the hotel without getting wet.
The room itself was nice with very tall windows which opened and we found it very comfortable. The bathroom was especially large, newly renovated and with brand new fixtures. We also had a balcony overlooking Place de la Republique with a carrousel and a lot of foot traffic. We also really liked the location as it was right between the Rhone and the Saone rivers. We had tons of restaurants and shopping nearby and we were within walking distance to the Fourviere and Croix-Rousse hills and the large outdoor market along the Saone. All in all we had a very enjoyable week and we were sorry to leave!

Room Tip: We had a room facing Place de la Republique and we liked it because it was quiet at night and becaus...
2  Thank SergeOttawa