“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here as part of my 2.5 weeks Europe trip where I had booked into 5 lodgings in total. This was hotel number 5, and I had just checked out of Ibis Budget Berlin. I must say, for the huge price difference, Ibis Budget was a no-frills, no surprise place that exceeded expectations. Comparatively, there was some sort of expectation from this hotel, and sadly none were met.

Where can I start. Maybe from the moment I emailed for directions from the airport. The instructions were to take the Rhone express, then the bus ‘until the hotel’. However, the bus did not stop at the hotel. There was 2 blocks to walk. This miscommunication was an example of the lack of English skills of the staff. Which was evident again when I requested a cheese platter of brie, camembert and blue cheese. The platter came with everything but those. A huge disappointment for me, as I was in the land of cheese after all!

Then the cleaning ladies threw away my perfectly edible peach. And bread. The next time they came in, I did not leave Euro coins for them. And my towels and amenities (cotton wool, shower cap) were not replaced. Oh and you have to ask for toothpaste and toothbrush. Pretty shocking for a place charging 300 euros. The last night, my obviously stained bedding was not replaced. Minimal space for toiletries storage in the bathrooms.

Hot breakfast was cold. The three mornings I was there, I finished up what was left of the bacon (3 short strips) but it was never refilled. Staff did not understand ‘sunny side up’ or ‘over and easy’. Or room numbers.

Then came check out. I was asked to pay 40+ euros for city tax (already paid) and various room service (they wanted to double charge me for the cheese platter error) and bar items (water that was complimentary).

No concierge service. Internet was down when I requested information. Was asked to go back 15 minutes later for follow up. They never got back to me.

Location was good and the bed was very comfortable. But does not make up for lack of attention to details. The Sofitel nearby would be a better bet, at a lower cost.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Lyn N
corinne d, Directeur général at Hotel Carlton Lyon - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear guest,
First I would like to thank you for your comment.
However I would like to add some informations about your stay.

For the room service, we did serve a plate of specific cheese not normaly available, that we provided on request.

Also, as a reminder, thoothpaste and toothbrush are always on request in the majority of hotels worldwide, and we have some at the reception of our hotel, you just have to ask for it.

However we did make a mistake that we resolved before your departure about the double charge and the local taxes, sorry for that.

And finally the cost of 300 euros was for 2 nights and not for 1 night, in fact we had promotional rates during summer.

I hope I will welcome you again in the future and that you will have a great stay as well as so many of our guests and tripadvisor contributors.

Yours faithfully

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed two nights at Hotel Carlton during our honeymoon and it was a real pleasure. The staff was really welcoming and helpful, and the design of the hotel has a lot of character including an old world style elevator. The room was nice and spacious. The location of the hotel is within easy walking distance from the main sites in the center of Lyon. We also tried the spa in the hotel and they get a top rating from us too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We enjoyed a lovely 3 night break in Lyon. First time visitors to this city. We were there for the food and the bouchon's and both were excellent.

The hotel is just off the main street but very quiet. It's 5 mins to the main restaurant areas, 5 mins to the shops and 12 mins to the old town. Very very convenient. The staff were very polite and attentive. Just one gripe that the breakfast was a bit hit and miss. There is enormous variety but they kept running out of things. but overall quality was good.

Tip, go for the valey parking, just pull up outside and they will do the rest. 40 euro from memory but same price as if you had parked the car yourself.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gandegg
San Francisco
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Beyond being situated in a central location, the staff at the front desk here has been amazing. From Coralie to Aurelien, they not only helped us with a series of bookings (and some cacellations) but often anticipated our needs and questions, and always with a Gallic smile. They were patient with our comme-ci comme-sa French and offered to switch gears into English for the sake of expediency. Can't say enough about this elegant hotel,from its well-appointed and often spacious rooms (complete with Nespresso pods and machines!) to its cozy bar, not to mention its easy access - especially via the city's small army of City Bikes - to some of the more amazing sights of the new and vieux Lyon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cdellacava
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The staff at the hotel is very friendly and the hotel itself is very clean. We had a room facing the square with the carousel which was nice but very small. For me what was lacking was in the details. Although every thing was clean and well kept we only had 1 towel in our room and there was no lotion in the bathroom either. Breakfast was crowded and not that great to be honest and although you can opt to have it in your room I am not sure where you would actually eat it at unless you have a large room. We also arranged a late checkout and the front desk but of course our cards didn't work to let us in the room. Also service in the bar is very slow, which was something my father in law warned me about. So although my experience wasn't horrible it was just average. We only stayed here because my in-laws were staying here for work and made it rather convenient to stay in the same place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeattleMeimei
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

A colleague and I spent 8 nights here on a business trip. It was more than we even hoped for. Our room faced the lovely Place de la Republique, and we could faintly hear the very French accordion music emanating from the charming old carousel. So atmospheric. Our bathroom was extra large - who expects a hotel bathroom to have floor to ceiling French windows that open onto a balcony overlooking a square? The service was great, the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. The lounge does a wonderful lime rose cocktail. The details everywhere were a joy to behold - the art nouveau lift, the stained glass, the chandeliers... The free wifi was a blessing, as was the AC, and the beds were very comfortable. The locale is hard to beat. We avoided having breakfast in the busy dining room, opting instead to sit at various cafés in the squares nearby. There is room in the fridge for your own juice and milk. A suggestion (many have mentioned the limited storage) would be to add a couple of hooks behind the bathroom door - a small change that would make a huge difference. Two of us on an 8 day business trip meant storage was a little challenging. But with all the positives this is a very minor issue. I will definitely come back here if in Lyon. Superbe!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Trakette
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Whether you are in Lyon for pleasure or business, this hotel is great. You can walk everywhere or just a short bus ride to places such as Convention Center. Great breakfasts and a helpful barman! In fact all the staff were terrific. The only disappointing thing was no iron/ironing board in the room and took 16 hours to get one and it wasn't great when it arrived! I think a hotel of this standard should include these items in each room. I did find the air conditioner rattled when I first got there but that issue was dealt with swiftly which I really appreciated. Thank you to all the staff at Hotel Carlton.

Room Tip: I chose a superior room for that extra space.