“Best Budget Hotel”

Ranked #27 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Australia
“Best Budget Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed on a Sunday and the promotional rate is incredibly low.

The breakfast had all the basic, but the baquettes was better than a lot of 4 or 5 star hotels I've stayed.

The room was very clean and compact, except for 2 cigarette burns on the floor. Smokers out there, can't you be more careful!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Wilmo12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I had to pay double because nowhere in Lyon you can find rooms for single people. So that is why I chose a budget hotel. It gets too expensive.

I was pleasantly surprised at the high tech rooms with flt screen TV and nice lights. Clean shower, clean towels every day. I also liked that they used single use plastic cups instead of glass cups. There is no safe in the room, and there is little space near the sink for makeup and other toiletries. There is a mirror at the sink and a tall one too. So it is budget, but it is spotless and very comfortable. The breakfast was a self serve cafeteria style with croissants, breads, butter and jam, cheeses, yogurt, fruit salad, coffee, milk and cereals, and I may be missing something... But it was inexpensive, which was nice. I didn't have to leave every morning in starvation mode looking for a breakfast place.

The location was so-so. It's in a newer part of the city and it looks a little like a North American neighborhood with a giant shopping mall that I got lost into once.The hotel is in a building situated on the quieter side of the train station. Most of the beggars and other nuisances were on the other exit near the subway station. I liked less that I had to go through the train station everyday to take the subway. Groups of girls or boys would sometimes try sell you stuff or try to ask you to sign some sort of petitions; nuisances. I was a solo female traveler and I usually am afraid to walk alone at night in train stations, but I didn't feel unsafe at all there. Quite the opposite.

The daytime receptionist was really kind and helpful. They have 24 hour reception and your room key is also the key for the elevator for added protection.

In conclusion, I really liked the hotel. I would return and I would strongly recommend it.

Room Tip: Nu room safe, so if you freak out over stuff being stolen from your room, come prepared with Pacsafe...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lia_Edmee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Was giving a free night here when my train was late so I missed my connection. The guy who checked us in around midnight was super friendly, normally the serve breakfast at 6, but put it out at 5.30 as we were getting on an extremely early bus. Decent rooms, great hot shower.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emily G
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Very basic, but ideal Standard for such a short Trip. Easy CheckIn and the Staff there did speak english. Room was very basic, butin the usual Standard this Hotels have mostly and we could sleep well there. There was a small choice of Breakfast, but we did not make use of it, due it had to be paid extra. We can recommend this, for short Stay. For longer Stay, maybe it will be too basic and boring.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Alameda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here twice in a 1-week span - once before departing France for a quick visit to Barcelona; then upon returning before a train ride to Tours the next morning. Both times the hotel delivered perfectly on its purpose.

The first visit was me and my nearly 18-year-old son. The tiny room was exactly what we expected, so it seemed perfectly adequate (i.e., people accustomed to and expecting a larger, American-sized room might feel cramped). The unusual bunkbed arrangement was comfortable, and we could not hear even the tiniest sound from anywhere, so we slept great.

We had a mid-morning flight the next day, and the hotel's location at the train station where the Rhone Express train to the airport is located was very convenient.

The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Each staff member wears a nametag indicating which languages they speak, so if you are not comfortable speaking French, they can help you. Since we spoke some French (and enjoy trying to communicate in a country's native language), they helped us using French, but spoke especially clearly just for us.

When we returned a week later upon returning from Barcelona, we also had my wife with us. She was amused by the tiny room, but expressed the same satisfaction with the hotel.

We did eat the breakfast offered by the hotel. It was very good and very reasonably priced compared to most hotels.

The only downside of our visit (which has nothing to do with the hotel) was our inability to find a restaurant for dinner with decent food and reasonable prices. We should have asked the front desk staff for advice, as I'm certain they would have steered us to a good choice.

This is a perfect hotel for someone connecting to travel through the train station and/or airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family