“Not great”
Review of Hotel du Theatre

Hotel du Theatre
Ranked #56 of 195 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 27 July 2007

The hotel staff were great! The breakfast was only 6 euros each and was very nice. The hotel was in a great location close to downtown and lots of great restaurants! The hotel has no parking lot and you must use an underground lot behind the building...3 days cost 66 euros and no in /out priviledges. The hotel has no elevator and reception is on the second floors (60 steps up...yes I counted them). Our room was on the second floor another 23 steps up. We stayed 3 nights and to be truthful grew tired of the climb! The hotel has no A/C (it was 35C) and you couldn't keep the windows open because of the mosiqutos (they were terrible and ate us alive!). The bed was very uncomfortable. It was a misserable stay in the hotel. Lyon was great and I would return in a second just not at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CanadaJeff

Reviewed 24 July 2007

We spent 6 peaceful nights in this Hotel. It is as near to all of Lyon as you could want. The room was clean and bright with a view of the Place de le Celestines. Petit dejeuner at 6 euros would be hard to beat elsewhere. Staff are very friendly and dealt with my e-mail enquiry promptly. I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank 2Scotsabroad
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I spent 3 nights here on my own (woman traveling alone). I loved this hotel's location on the Place de Celestins in central Lyon. This 2-star hotel does not have an elevator or AC, but I didn't find this to be a problem. (I did have a fairly large suitcase, but I stayed on the reception level, which they described as "a l'etage" but was more like the 2eme etage or the 3rd floor in the USA.) A room for one person cost 51 euros per night. My room on the reception level was fine - but if you like absolute quiet, I would recommend a room upstairs. There was occassionally noise at night when other guests came in, and in the morning when breakfast was served. The hotel's free WiFi was excellent. I really appreciated the location of this hotel -- just across the bridge from Old Lyon, convenient to the metro, close to lots of shopping, and there are a lot of nice little restaurants in and around the Place. One reviewer mentioned that she wouldn't feel safe alone at night on the rue de Savoie, where the hotel entrance is located. I can understand what she is saying, as the rue de Savoie is a relatively narrow street/alley way. But it is very short (with relatively busy corners at either end) and all the restaurants back onto the street,usually with their doors open - so it was never completely black and silent. I never felt unsafe. (I was usually back to the hotel before 11 pm.) I would definitely stay at the Hotel du Theatre again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank srudy1780
Reviewed 7 June 2007

I booked this hotel for our last night in France as we were flying out of Lyon the next morning. We had been in Provence during our trip and booking a hotel with no elevator was not the best choice for us as we had to drag our heavy suitcase up two flights of stairs just to the reception and then another two flights to our room. We confirmed a superior room overlooking the square which was nice however the room is very basic. The hotel is in the process of renovating though they had not gotten to our floor yet so not sure what the improvements are. If you have a car, you have to park in the underground lot close by which will cost appr.$20 Euro for the overnight. The location is good and as two women, we did not feel unsafe.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank Cinemachine
Reviewed 3 June 2007

We were a bit worried about this hotel, due to the cheap rate, but we were not disappointed. The location is great (right by the river, across to the old part of town; it is about 2km to the Part-Dieu train station). The rooms were simple but spatious. We took the "Superior" room, which was only 6 euros more, but I think it was worth it--we got a lovely view of the theatre & the plaza behind the hotel. The staff was friendly enough. We would definitely stay there again on our next visit to Lyon.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2007

At first we where a little worried since the price of this hotel was so affordable but we where not disappointed. Our room with two beds was comfortable and was in good condition.

The location is really a plus. It is minutes away from the metro line and right near the river to walk over to the older section of town.

Our stayed at the end of September was good and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank sVT_traveler
Reviewed 28 October 2006

great quaint hotel. super location and wonderful rooms. Some rooms have great views onto a nice quiet square and theatre but unfortunately ours looked onto a side street. Really friendly and helpful staff. would definitely recommend this hotel, and would stay there again myself.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple