“Very nice budget hotel”
Review of Hotel du Simplon

Hotel du Simplon
Ranked #54 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed in this little hotel for 2 evenings and really have no negative remarks about it.
* The hotel staff was very friendly and available 24/7
* The room was small (but how much time do you spend in it anyways) but very clean and newly decorated.
* The location is good as you can easily explore the whole city on foot and go about the main sightings. And if you are unlucky with the weather, there is a metro station within 500m that has stops at the main tourist attractions :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2011

After reading some negative reviews with regard to the size and quality of some rooms, I booked a double room asking for a big and quiet one. Room 49 was lovely: good size, windows to the quieter side of the building, end of hall so no noise from other guests, Reception told me that this was their biggest room and that it had been renovated (I did not see the other rooms).

PROS
- Quiet area
- Situation (next to Perrache station)
- Bedding
- Nice bathroom
- Good value if you get one of the renovated rooms
- Elevator

CONS
- Could not connect to wi-fi in room during entire stay and had to go to reception area (or next-door café which has excellent connection and good coffee)
- Unfortunately breakfast is not optional as it is not great. The baguette bread was of bad quality and I found a bug in it (bakery)
- No lamp above desk in room which makes it impossible to write or read while sitting at desk.
- One reading light bulb at bed-head did not work

Room Tip: This review only applies to room No 49 on 3rd floor, as from reading other reviews I understand that...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I picked this hotel due to the decent price and the fairly positive reviews. I went in with an open mid and wasn't disappointed! This is a gem of a hotel, right next to a lovely park and a mainline station with connections round Lyon and beyond (including the airport with one change). There are loads of restarants and cafes virtually on it's doorstep but a 10 minute stroll wil take you to Place Bellecour and in 20 minutes you'll be in Vieux Lyon.

The hotel itself is a typical Lyonnaise building - Rennaissance style so think high ceilings. Yes the rooms, hallways etc aren't as wide as the might be used to in US or UK but remember we're in a 17th century style town and to be honest, what's the point of going away if you're not prepared to experience foreign living? Having said that, I think I had one of the smaller rooms and it was still perfectly big enough for a single person - double bed (which was absolutely fine, no lumps, bumps, hair in bed etc) which even had a choice of pillows, extra blankets etc, wardrobe, bedside cabinet, desk and TV. (I was nosey and looked at some of the other rooms when they were being cleaned all they all looked suitably bigger, eg for couples, families etc). The bathroom is small but functional and was very clean when I arrived. I found the whole place charming and any minor loose floorboards, chips in paint work etc simply added to the authentic feeling of the place. In my opinion, the slightly antiquey feeling of the place was perfectly in keeping with the city itself. I would never go to Lyon and want to stay in an ultramodern, minimalist hotel. If you're into Radissons etc then don't go to this place. If you like old charm and tradition, then you'll love this place.

The staff were always friendly and helpful to me (although some more so than others) and whatever I wanted was never a problem for them - even down to changing my breakfast request at the last minute. I had an evening flight and although I had to check out by 12 I was allowed to keep my luggage in the hotel until whenever was convenient for me to pick up.

Breakfast - I have to admit, I paid for the first 2 days and then didn't bother the rest of the time. That's not because it was bad, it was perfectly adequate (pastries, fruit, yoghurt, fresh bread, cheese and condiments and hot/cold drinks) but more because if I ate that then I wasn't hungry for lunch and would rather go to a cafe and watch the world go by (with more choice of food!) than sit in the restaurant in the morning.

I would thoroughly recommend staying here (already booked my return flights in Deceber and this was my first port of call but is fully booked!) although hope this place doesn't become too popular which may hike the prices up!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Rachael C
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Nice things start at the reception desk - well trained and polite staff, speaks English and all major languages. Lobby is big for such a small place and looks personable. Books of old prints scattered throughout. Room was good size, recently and tastefully decorated , Flat screen TV with a 1 or 2 English language channels (big deal in France) doubles as a computer monitor that gests are allowed to use for free; also free WiFI in the room. Bathroom clean and contemporary. Didn't take breakfast - used the occasion to try as many Lyon restaurants as we possibly could. The place is within walking distance to everything in Lyon. I you need access to railway, it is less than a quarter of a mile away. Used subway once in 3 days. Yet if you need it, two different stops are around the corner. Paid secure parking (E12 per night) is available in the building across the street. The only minus I can think of is that it was just a little noisy in the morning. Overall this is a very good place to spend a few nights in Lyon.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed just a night here. It's just a couple of block from the train station with number of good restaurants around. Very safe, clean and inexpensive.

TIP: Don't miss the wood fired pizza around the corner. Amazing stuff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Pleasantly surprised how good this 2 star hotel is. Clean, pleasant, nice reception staff, good buffet breakfast. Well-placed at 10 mins walk from river and then another 10 or so to pedestrian bridge to cross over to old town. Take funicular up to Notre Dame church. Private car parking round corner - park in locked garage for 12 Euros/24 hours. If you travel by car, be prepared to have problems finding the hotel as we did - it's situated on the 'presqu'isle' ('almost island') in between the rivers Saone and Rhone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suemoret
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I trusted the reviews here but it was far from the reality. Lobby was nice. Staff was kind of helpful. But the elevator is really small and creepy. The worst part is the dirty and worn beds. We found hairs on the bed and asked to replace it. But the staff (new one) said it is not his job. Hahaha....Anyway he tried to help us. He gave us a new room much smaller than we reserved. AND we found more hairs even much longer than previous one.

The good part is, quality of staff depends on the person who sit in the front. We saw five different people in 2 days.

Wifi is free but you should use ONLY ONE device. When you want to use ipod, you should cut the connection of laptop.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple