“Good value, good location”
Review of Hotel du Simplon

Hotel du Simplon
Ranked #57 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this city centre boutique hotel. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated with a full bathroom. We chose to have breakfast at the hotel and it was lovely. The hotel is renovating and it appears that a bright seating area or cafe area may become part of the new design. We are good walkers so it was easy for us to walk over to the tourist information office, gather pamphlets and then cross over the bridge to the "old town". We discovered many of the hidden traboules and pedestrian alleys of the old town and enjoyed a delicious lunch at a bouchon along rue St. Jean. Lyon is a lovely, historic gem and certainly deserves its UNESCO designation!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kmcclinchey

Reviewed 24 September 2010

we stayed for 3 nights. the lobby was very nice and fancy. the hotel had great decorations with cherrys being the theme. the room was clean and big enough for 2 and luggage. the bathroom however was the smallest thing i have ever used. imagine an airplane bathroom with a shower attached. you could probably use the toilet while showering. it was clean though which is all that matters.

the location was great for walking around, but it would hard to drive as its all one way streets. my old gps unit found it without a problem. there is not really a need to drive anywhere though, as the main shopping strip is about 5 min away. and there was lots of nice restaurants in the immediate area.

there was free wifi but parking was not free(or cheap).
the breakfast was small but enough. it was just baked goods and jam.
the reception staff where very freindly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank random_ninja
Reviewed 14 September 2010

We had a reservation at this hotel, but canceled well withing the terms of service. When asked if we would be reimbursed, we were told yes. Still have not received our money and have since been told that they refuse to do so. Very impolite, as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnpie14
Reviewed 11 July 2010

What a gem! Small rooms, like most 2 stars, but very nicely furnished. Comfy beds, clean as could be. Very quiet and safe at night; a police station is only one block away. Fantastic location - a very short walk to a park/square which connects to the main pedestrian street Victor Hugo. Very close to a freeway entrance, but crazy one-way streets to navigate! We paid for underground parking nearby - fitting our midsized car into a tiny concrete "box" was challenging. Staff were very nice, but some spoke little English. The continental breakfast was rather small for the price; after the first day we went elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2010

spent 3 nights at this hotel. Clean and tidy. Only fault there was no tea/coffee facilities in room, which we missed. English speaking receptionists, very friendly. Would stay here again and recommend this hotel. near Metro but quite easy to walk about and explore Lyon from here. Take the Grand Tour bus and see Lyon, then explore on foot. Plenty of restaurants and excellent food.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mas5
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We stayed here for five nights in April on the basis of other reviewers and were not disappointed. The hotel owns some parking spots nearby and our car was left undercover for a competitive price. A small but well maintained room with what appeared to be a recently renovated bathroom, friendly and efficient service, good advice on local restaurants and an excellent location. Easy access to public transport and an interesting part of town. I left an Australian/French power point adaptor in the room so with luck if you are from Australia and have left yours at home you will be able to get one on loan. A good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I have just returned to London after spending 3 nights in Lyon at the Hotel du Simplon and I was very pleased with everything. All staff, without exception, were very friendly and went out of their way to assist. I had already done research and selected the hotel based on previous Trip Advisor reviews which were mainly positive and I was not disappointed.

I was a solo female traveller but I felt safe in the hotel at all times. It's close proximity to Lyon-Perrache station was a huge bonus - I was in my hotel room 5 minutes after exiting the station! The hotel is close to Old Lyon and other attractions and is open all the time, well lit at night.

The room was tiny and my room didn't have a particularly great view but it was more than adequate for a 3 night stay. The room was also very neat and well laid out.

Another slight negative was the size of the shower - I'm a UK size 16-18 and could just about fit in the shower (although I couldn't avoid banging my arms on the walls). If someone is very large (ie UK size 20+) then they might struggle to fit in the shower.

The breakfast was €6.20 for filter coffee, glass of orange juice and selection of breads (baguette, croissant, brioche) with butter and selection of jams and honey and you could get a refill on the coffee. Just the type of breakfast I like but may not suit all tastes. Loads of eating establishments around and supermarkets so you don't have to opt for the breakfast supplied by the hotel. I'm not sure but I don't think lunch and dinner were catered for but why would you want to spend time in the hotel for lunch or dinner when you have great restaurants and cafes all around!

I would however not hesitate to recommend the hotel and would definitely stay there again if I visit Lyon. It's great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo