“Serviceable, but not that pleasant”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lyon
Auberge de Jeunesse de Vieux Lyon
Ranked #32 of 57 Speciality Lodging in Lyon
Berkeley
“Serviceable, but not that pleasant”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I stayed here for one night. It was hot (no air conditioning) and the place smelled a bit like sewage. The bathrooms were pretty gross. My dorm room was fine, but cramped and no lockers. The staff was friendly and helpful at least. Bar/terrace has a gorgeous view of the city, especially at night. Right as I got there, the staff was stopping some people from bringing in two twelve packs of beer. It appeared that this used to be a party hostel, but is no more. The place has an unlocked luggage room, which was a convenient, but very unsecured place for leaving stuff.
Getting there is easy. Take the funicular, get off at the roman theater and walk down hill for a few minutes.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My review is very similar to everyone elses. Amazing view, nice, friendly atmosphere with mixed ages of people, good location as it is very close to the most beautiful parts of Lyon. However, as said in many other reviews; the (it has to be said - female) staff were not very concerned to help. They kept telling people they were 'taking a lunch break' so many people were sat about twiddling there thumbs wanting to check in whilst staff members sat outside...One evening I asked for the key to my dorm to which the girl told me 'there are none left, I gave them all away'. This confused me seeing as there should surely be 8 keys for an 8 dorm room?? I had to ask another girl sleeping in the same dorm if i could borrow hers. The dormitory was damp and smelled funny with very small toilet and shower area. I had to pay an extra 7 euros for a hostel card and the card i was given had an already expired date on it!!! It was too late for me to go back before i realised.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mermaid186342
Wurzburg, Germany
Reviewed 14 August 2011

First of all I need to mention that this youth hostel is very inexpensive, that's why I didnt expect too much.
TO ALL TRAVELLERS: You don't need to drag your luggage all the way up the hill- there is a Metro Station up at Monteé du Chemin Neuf! The station is maybe 100m away from the hostel and when you exit the station you only have to walk downhill a little.
I mention this because many travellers don't know this Metro Station and the complain about having to walk up the steep hill.
LOCATION: Very good location, close to the old town center and many impressive sights like notre dame de fourvière. Also, you have an amazing view on the whole city from this hostel.
ROOMS: The rooms are not comfortable. The matresses are not very good and not clean at all-just like the rest of the room. The shower was TINY! I could barely turn around...
Plus you could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in this hostel. Evertime someone gets water from the tab you hear a LOUD and unpleasant noise. The keys for entering the rooms are plastic cards and mine was already broken and fixed with tape when I received it. And it broke again right at the first day. The tables where you can eat your breakfast are very dirty and there was always a CAT! walking over the tables and crawling around in the whole hostel. The BREAKFAST itself was very good though. But be careful: They dont offer you any plates and I recommend you to use a napkin-dont put your baguette on those tables...
The staff was pretty friendly, but if you are not going to party all night and sleep throughout the day I wouldn't stay there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank hinundweg92
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2011

The staff were overall really helpful and friendly. I appreciated that they spoke English pretty well. The co-ed washrooms seemed kind of sketchy. The "shower" room is literally a showerhead in a small room, which was kind of uncomfortable to use because I'd have to keep on pressing the button constantly or the water would stop running. Other than that the overall view of the hostel is amazing; The hostel is located on a steep hill so just be aware you'll be getting a huge workout coming back in the evening. There are lots of restaurants at the bottom of the hill though. An amazing pro was the free wifi that was accessible from my room. Overall a pretty good stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Lyon, France
Reviewed 30 January 2011

The staff is not very welcoming. To access the internet wifi is a nightmare because the passwords are not enough and limited, and they are valid for 24 hours. To get a new password the staff is constantly saying that there are not enough passwords because the people take all the time the papers.

The kitchen is small and the showers are not good. The rooms are noisy because of the bathrooms, that are near the rooms.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cepe78

Travellers are raving about these Lyon hotels

Brisbane - Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2010

ROOMS: Good sized (only 6 people which was good), there are also 2 basins with mirrors in the room we were in which had its good a bad points...The beds were VERY creeky.

BATHROOMS: The showers only went for 5 seconds before needing to push the button again (and again). There was no control of the temperature. Also the floors were completely covered in water with no way of preventing this.

STAFF: Unhelpful, we asked for directions to a restaurant and were told to "walk down the hill and on the left there are lots", when we asked if they could recommend a particular one we were simply told again that there were lots there. Staff were also not very helpful with the best way of getting to and from the hostel and also finding things within the hostel.

INTERNET: The front desk "ran out" of internet codes and anyone who didn't already have a code was unable to use the Wifi.

LOCATION: The location is good, and close to Old Lyon which is great but it is located on a steep hill and we found it better to take the funicular and just walk down the hill a little way instead of walking all the way up from the metro stop.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I spent one night here, refused to shower and went the next morning to book a hotel through the tourist bureau.

The bedroom itself was comfortable enough. Only 6 people to a room is much nicer than the 20 beds to a room hostel I'd been in in Amsterdam. There seemed to be people of all ages here, which I also liked. The "locker" I was promised in the bedroom was only big enough to hold my camera, travel documents and wallet. Otherwise I had a drawer under the bed. My room looked over the patio which has a noisy bar scene until very late. There were sinks in the bedroom and it was reasonably clean. The bathrooms were another story. The toilet rooms smelled heavily of urine, worse than a port o'potty. The showers were filthy and lacked a shelf or hooks of any kind. Um, where exactly do I put my stuff??? I go camping, so I'm fairly liberal about where I do my personal business. I refused to shower here. Also, the reception are had ants. Lots of ants.

Be prepared for a hike up Montee du Chemin Neuf that is akin to summitting Mont Blanc. It's much higher and much more steep than you expect. I'm still recovering from knee surgery and the first walk up this hill wrecked my knee. This was the main reason for switching to a hotel, but the lack of security and the gross bathrooms were definitely a factor. You can take the funicular up and walk down, but it's still a terrific hike. If you put the address into Google Maps, it doesn't show you the accurate location.

Overall, I was not pleased. The bed was mostly clean, the bathrooms were ridiculous, the reception area needs an exterminator. They can make you food and serve you beer. They have a great view. Some people seem happy here, but I won't go back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo