“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #14 of 194 Hotels in Lyon
London
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Great central location; charming and helpful staff; clean and pleasant facilities - and all at a great price. It was a pleasure to stay there for 3 nights: if you want something friendly and unpretentious within easy walking distance of many of Lyon's main attractions, I would warmly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YetAnotherLondoner
grandhotel69, Directeur général at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your stay and your comment.

We hope to welcome you for a next trip in Lyon!

Best regards
Julien Schruoffeneger, manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
glos uk
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is a late review see below for reason.Situated in the centre this unpretentous hotel was one of the best hotels we have stayed in including several 5 star ones.Our room was spacious and had a very large and comfortable bed.The shower was hot and strong and everything worked.The breakfast menu was limited but good and after all if you are staying in Lyon you do not want to stuff yourself and miss a lunch or dinner! On the first morning I tripped and fell outside Monoprix and realised that I had broken my wrist.We walked back to the hotel where the receptionist Isabel was great rang for an ambulance and provided ice packs.Two hours later an ambulance turned up(no hurry then!) and I was taken off to hospital with blue light flashing.I draw a veil over the treatment just say I was glad to get back to the N.H.S. where I was operated on(plate and four pins) on the same day and home in the evening.Full marks to Frenchay Hospital Bristol for five star treatment.
If Isobel reads this her Father might be interested to know that the surgeon was female-very rare in orthopedics so I knew she must be good.
In spite of the accident we enjoyed the rest of our stay and it was nice that there were good eating places within about 50 yards of the hotel although my guess is that it is difficult to eat badly in Lyon but easy to eat well,

Room Tip: one of the best hotels we have stayed in
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maccroom
grandhotel69, Responsable réception at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 26 May 2013
Dear Madame,

I am deeply pleased to hear from you. Thank you for your nice comment about your stay in Grand Hôtel de la Paix. I am glad you could enjoy it in spite of the “adversities”.

I hope your wrist is better now and not much painful. (I must say I was very surprised because you did not even complain once about the pain).

It was a pleasure for me and for my colleagues to welcome you in our hotel and we hope to see you back in Lyon soon.

Best regards,

Isabel
Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2013

You cant get a better location and service for the price you pay here. Its in the city center with 5 min walk to Bellacour. The metro station is just one block away. The price includes free breakfast/wifi. I would definitely recommend this place if you are visiting Lyon (and not looking for a 5 star accomodation). The shopping distirct is also around this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
grandhotel69, Responsable réception at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear client,

thank you for your recommendations!

As you said, our location is one of our strenghts. You can find everything within walking distances!

Looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Kind regards,

Isabel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed here during the Fete des Lumieres. The location is right in the centre and excellent for this event - everything I wanted to do could easily be reached on foot or a short ride on the metro or bus.
However when I arrived on the first evening I found that there had been a mix up with my booking (made through laterooms.com) and my reservation had been cancelled. The hotel was full, so the staff gave me a room which they were not intending to use where the radiator was not working, but I had a portable heater instead which was fine. The size of the room was adequate for my purpose.
I found the staff friendly and helpful. I was leaving early on the last day, so Mamadou on reception arranged for me to have breakfast at 6.30am instead of the usual start time of 7am, and rang to tell me that it was ready.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Susan A
grandhotel69, receptionniste at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Susan A,

our event "Fête des Lumières" on the 6th of December during 4 days is wonderful and our central situation affords the contemplation of the lights from the Windows in most of our rooms.

We thank you for expressing your gratitude concerning our capacity to arrange your stay and make it pleasant!

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 December 2012

If you like exploring city centers and are looking for a centrally-based hotel, this place fits the bill. It's an older hotel and feels dated, but it was perfect place to stay given my love of discovering a city on foot. Having said that, this hotel is close to the metro and tram systems and to handy bus routes - all made easy with a three day museum/gallery/transport pass. The hotel and room (although small) were clean and tidy. The breakfast (included in the price) as adequate. In this wonderful city, with so much to offer the traveller, this was a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: The front side of the hotel fronts a main street and, at night (especially with the added Christmas...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Alexander6011
Dear Alexander 6011,

thank you for your comment, it's precisely we first offer:
the greatest central situation to discover by walk numerous museums, activities and so many other visual delight...

The city card/pass ( 1 to 3 days) enables a whole horizon of multy activities! with all city transports included in...

Our hotel is classified history patrimony and with the ligts, surely, the magic of Christmas is at work!

Since December 2013, we start renovation work and we hope to see you a next time.

Corby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I booked this hotel as part of a train trip to Lyon by Eurostar and TGV through Railselect so the hotel came as part of the package so I had little say as to staying there.
The trip was taken as a birthday "jolly" for my wife.We arrived on Nov.22rd 2012 and stayed four nights.The hotel was warm clean and comfortable although there was no air.con,at this time of the year it was not a problem although at night during the summer having to get air into the room via open windows could be a problem as the hotel although ideally situated for sight seeing is on a buisy crossroad with late serving bars adjacent,although noise was not a problem during my stay.
All of the staff were very friendly,polite and efficient.
Breakfast was buffet style and adiquate.
All in all I would recomend the hotel to anyone wanting somewhere to stay to see this wonderfull city,but not maybe during a hot summer.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor or above and facing the street.Use the knowledge of the concierge to...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lynmorris
grandhotel69, Receptionniste at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Lyn Morris,

all the team thank you for spending time on writing you coment.

Indeed, we can easily reach the hotel by Rhone Express, a special shuttle at 14€ per person or by special taxi companies we book for you at 45€ the one way (Airport- Hotel/ Hotel- Airport) for 1 to 8 persons.

The city center situation of the hotel on a lovely place combined the confort of our rooms and the elegant old style of our hotel.

Although the cross road, the noise is absorbed by the double- glazed of our windows that confers calm to our guests.

We open 5 new splendid and modern rooms and renovate part of our hotel to your taste!

With hope to welcome you next time.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I booked this hotel months ago at a decent rate for 3 nights for the start of November. The location is truely excellent. It is right in the heart of the shopping district, near some lovely eateries and a short walk from many of the museums and attractions. The room was basic, but clean, comfortable, and very warm whilst it was cold outside. We were given some welcome soft drinks, and a basic packed lunch every day containing a sandwich, crisps and drink (we took it 2 out of 3 days). The breakfast was simple, with no eggs, and not much fruit. It was mainly bread, croissants, cheese, yougurt and a few other options. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was also free Wifi and a computer to use in the reception area. Overall we had a welcomming, warm experience at the hotel, and recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Izzet G
grandhotel69, Directeur général at Hotel Silky by HappyCulture, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear guests,

The team thanks you for choosing our hotel for your stopover in Lyon and thank you for the comment posted on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that your stay was well.

We would welcome you again.

Best regards