“State of the art cocktails in the heart of Lyon”
Review of The Monkey Club

The Monkey Club
Ranked #677 of 3,913 Restaurants in Lyon
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in full center of Lyon, The Monkey Club is an atypical place, between victorian boudoir and cabinet of curiosities. Restoring at noon with a kitchen of the market, fresh and creative, it moved in the evening in a cocktail bar mixing sharp prescriptions and spirit old school.
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

The Monkey Club is a a beautiful cocktail bar nested on the Presqu'île of Lyon, a few steps away from the Lyon Opera House. The setting is very cosy and eccentric with its peculiar interior decor made of end-of-the-century "curiosities", old photographs and a colorful jungle wallpaper. The "club" denomination owes to its laid back atmosphere and comfortable seating.

The place focuses on cocktails although one can easily order a beer or a glass of wine. The cocktail list is extensive and there is no reason to believe that you won't find one that matches your personal taste. Worst gets to worse, do not hesitate to ask the bar tenders to prepare a customized formula for you! Snacks are also proposed and are quite different than the usual ham and cheese planchette that you will find in most wine bars around town. Do not miss out on the truffle-flavored toast!

The service is attentive and welcoming and the bar tenders extremely professional. This is a trendy place that does not require any particular attire and the crowd spotting is part of the purpose to sit down there and enjoy your drink. The Monkey Club also proposes a small terrace but do not expect a particularly nice view. This is probably the only weak point.

The club can get really crowded on week-ends and somewhat noisy on when the DJ does his stuff and wants you to notice that he is there.

A great place to enjoy state of the art cocktails with your friends or your date of the day!

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 31 March 2017

One of the best night bars in Lyon. Barmans are very kind and prices are reasonable compared to similar places.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 15 June 2016

I chanced upon this bar after a long walk around the old town and steps high up over Lyon where I was ready to return to the hotel for a drink and dinner. The weather had been good but a storm that had been threatening suddenly came down with a vengeance. I stepped under the cover of a parasol outside with people at the table encouraging me to get further under. Then as it became worse, I dived inside and thought I may as well stop for a glass of rose wine.
Well, I loved the decor! It had a real Boho feel and the music was great. I was on my own inside so watched the barman make up the cocktails. I sipped my wine and questioned him each time he made something. He told me about each drink and did every one with a great flourish even though I was the only one there. When I left to return to the hotel when the rain had cleared, the outside seating was full and buzzing - obviously a popular place. Would love to go again when I am in town next and have more time, taking some colleagues with me.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

We stayed in an air B&B near here for two nights. Both nights on returning to the area we stopped at The Monkey Club for a night cap. We really enjoyed the place. It has a great atmosphere and very laid back feel despite the very high quality cocktails on offer. The mixologists really knew their stuff and all the cocktails had great attention to detail with little touches. This is the kind of place quite common in London but we've not seen before in France so very interesting.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 5 February 2016 via mobile

It's rare to find cocktail bars in Lyon, and generally in France; it seems it's not part of the culture. But luckily I found this one, which is cozy, interesting decorated, and got some pretty original cocktails and very tasty too. I really recommend it.

Date of visit: February 2016