“Heaven for a day!”

Plum Lyon Teaching Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 14 Classes & Workshops in Lyon
More attraction details
Owner description: The Plum Lyon kitchen welcomes you to come for cooking lessons in the city center of Lyon, the gastronomic capital of France. Located in the ancient silk-worker's district on the hill of the Croix Rousse, a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Plum Lyon Teaching Kitchen is offering seasonal market classes, classic French cooking, children's workshops in English, and single subject ateliers that cover a chosen technique or theme in French cuisine. We accommodate 6-8 students per class. There is plenty of opportunity for hands-on learning in our classes.
Morwell, Australia
“Heaven for a day!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was absolutely privileged to attend Lucy's cooking class in July this year, she was so lovely and is a wonderful teacher! The class is designed for cooks of all levels, and as a chef myself I still had an amazing day! We started off by heading up the hill to the local market to gather our produce for the day (which was brilliant on its own) then spent the remainder of the day cooking..it was fantastic! I highly, highly recommend booking yourself into one...or 3...of Lucy's classes as you will not be disappointed. For the full description of the day and some more pics feel free to visit my web page http://lvlarder.com/?p=330

Visited July 2014

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The Best Reason to Visit Lyon”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent almost a month in Lyon, exploring its food and taking cooking courses. Lucy Vanel's courses at Plum Lyon were by far the most fun things we did in town. We had originally signed up for one class but immediately added two more after we took the first. They are that much fun! Her courses are one of the best things to do in Lyon.

Our favorite was the market classes (we took two), where you start the day with a trip through the market and choose a menu based on what is freshest/looks the best. Lucy shared wonderful details on how to shop at a French outdoor market, how to spot freshness in various ingredients, and introduced us to amazing suppliers of produce, cheeses, and breads.

Lucy does a first pass through the market stalls and then suggests some ideas for the menu based on what looks good that day. As a student, you have lots of opportunity for input, so this is your chance to ask about making something you really want to understand.

The cooking itself is delightful. The groups are very small and the kitchen is designed to be approachable and easy to manage. Lucy talks you through the whats and the whys of cooking each dish and gives you lots of hands-on experience. If you want more hands-on or to practice a specific task yourself, just say so. She is responsive and works to meet the needs of each student.

Lucy is a certified French pastry chef and an experienced chef of French cuisine. She is also a superb natural teacher who is passionate about what she does. That passion comes through in her teaching and in the dishes themselves. We took a half day pate choux course as well and I will never again be intimidated by an eclair.

The course includes lots of advice on what to do and see in Lyon and where to buy all kinds of great cooking tools and foods. Lucy herself is a warm and friendly person who helped us personally in so many ways. We came to feel like family and miss her already. My only regret was not having a chance to cook duck with Lucy. I think we will have to go back for that.

If you like wine as well as food, I suggest you also check out Shannon at http://www.fromvinetowinelyon.com/. A similar fun experience.

If you have time for one thing in Lyon, make it a course at Plum. If you have more time, then take two.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Greg G
Blacksburg, VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Top Notch!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have done many cooking classes and my day long Saturday class rates at the top. The small class size made it highly personal and hands on. The pace was smooth, but we managed to cook a full meal from start to finish. A very unusual feature was the market start where after a visual tour of what was available, Lucy crafted the menu to fit our appetites. That means you could return many times and never have the same meal twice. Some parts of the menu are repeatable in the home kitchen. A very good value and time with a well informed cook.

1 Thank WomnWrtr
Seoul, South Korea
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Lucy's class was interesting and informative. She explained about the various cuisines of the region and shared her culinary skills with us. We tried snails, stuffed courgettes, various fromages and finished off the meal with a delicious red fruit tart. I would give 5 stars if we could have had more personal hands-on experience, rather than working in one large group.

1 Thank Ruth S
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We so enjoyed this class. Lucy Vanel is a master teacher and taught us a lot while at the same time made us feel welcome, like old friends. First, there was a discussion of our food preferences and allergies, then we headed off in the market where we had choices about the things we would cook and eat that day. My husband and I wanted to learn about chicken with morel mushrooms in a cream sauce and that was one of the dishes Lucy helped us make. She took us to the best cheese store and the best bread store in addition to the market. She let us choose many different cheeses to try and were they delicious!

Then we went back to her kitchen where she had recipes printed for us and showed us smart ways to do the various recipes. She is not rigid, but very flexible, although also very organized.
Her relaxed attitude but true food knowledge `made the day for me (an experienced home cook) and for my husband (who hasn't done that much cooking, but has been my sous chef).

The fact that the choice of menu is dependent upon preferences and allergies of the participants made it so usable and pleasurable. Lucy Vanel is worth meeting and if we were in Lyon longer we would have taken several of her classes. We both can't say enough about what a valuable and enjoyable experience this was and how lovely Lucy is.

2 Thank Blini