“Lunch in Lyon”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I came to Lyon on a Whit day, so most restaurants are closed. My friend recommended me to go for Le Mussee if i spell correctly, but it was obviously not available on this day. I begin to look for an alternative dining venue for the next day prior to my trip to Paris. I found Le Poivron Blue through TA, and it was rated top at that time. Although my trip here is to sampling fine cuisine in Lyon, i find it too risky to travel further apart. Considering my hotel location, i decided to give Le Poivron Blue a try and it did not dissappoint me. It all started with the charming personality of the server and chef, which i believe are the owners of the restaurant. I had a salmon soup for starter. I thought the cold salmon soup is a pefect idea for a hot day; what a cool dish to start off! For the plat or main course, i go for the amazingly tender beef fillet with creme and rosemary sauce. The chef and server always took their time to check my satisfaction, which make you feel important. I did not do dessert as i was rushing for my train to Paris. Overall, i think all you get is an excellent value in return for your money. I just came from Switzerland, so it was a bargain to me. As this is not a michelin rated restaurant or fine dining, don't expect sky and you will enjoy every moment! Bon Appetite!

1  Thank Kentkien2
There are newer reviews for Le Poivron Bleu

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Honestly I'm not sure what I was expecting, but its very low key, the chef who's in and out checking you're happy and his maître d', the menu is up on the blackboard and if you go for all three courses the its €20, which for the quality of the food is a bargain. The terrine de volaille was gorgeous and the dressing on the salad leaves so delicate. The ballotine was beautiful the flavours blend so carefully and subtly. Dessert was great but I had a taste of my husbands panacotta and it was divine!

1  Thank Harry95
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I agree with the other reviewers, this restaurant is magnificent, especially for the price. I ate there for lunch today and had a fried squash blossom stuffed with ricotta, a pork/cabbage roll wrapped in phillo and a chocolate cake with strawberries.

My best meal in Lyon so far.

1  Thank ExChefsWife
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My friend and I ate dinner here this evening. It is a tiny(seats about 30 people) restaurant that is as close as can be to home cooking. The chef/owner is a brilliant and creative young chef. Our first course was beignet du courgette stuffed with ricotta: out of this world!! I had a Ballantine of chicken ( poulet) farcii (stuffed) with herbs or a pesto on potatoes lyonnaise in a wonderful sauce. My friend had salmon prepared medium rare on a bed of risotto and leeks and aubergines. The desserts were profiteroles with pear sorbet ( that really tasted like a pear) and chocolate fondant and strawberries. There were 2 appetizer choices, 3 main courses( salmon, chicken and duck) and 3 desserts. The wine list was about 5 red local wines: ours was a wonderful Berthet Rayne, Cairanne, 2012 for 28 euros.. The meal was far superior to the high end restaurants I have been eating at in Paris. The young chef came out and talked for a while with us ( we were the last to leave). If you want an outstanding food experience with no pretense then eat at Le Poivron Bleu!!

4  Thank Jane G
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We went for lunch yesterday because of the Tripadvisor reviews , and had an excellent meal. It's a small restaurant ( 30 covers ) , with a very short menu . The food and wine were excellent , the service very friendly and professional , and the prices incredibly good value. This is an intimate and local neighbourhood restaurant in a quiet side street , and for us that made it all the more attractive and atmospheric. Nearly all the food is genuinely ' home made ' , and assembled with a lot of thought - and of much higher quality than you would expect at the price.
If you're visiting Lyon and want a gastronomic experience , this restaurant is highly recommended. It's also a short walk from the Parc de la Tete d'Or , a large park in the city which felt very French and has an interesting and free zoo , which is well worth looking at.
We loved it and wished there were lots of similar places where we live .

2  Thank TonyAllanLondon