Premiere Classe Lyon Centre - Gare Part Dieu
  • Bar/Lounge
US$377
US$294
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I booked this hotel last minute and it was one of the few inexpensive options close to Gare Part Dieu, but I found it to be perfect for my purposes.

I arrived at the Lyon airport late at night and took the 12AM express train to Gare Part Dieu (a life-saving service that I highly recommend to anyone coming from the airport to Lyon). It was no more than a 7-minute walk from the train station to the hotel (about 4 blocks). I did not feel unsafe walking there late at night.

This is definitely not the closest hotel to the train station. On the walk to the Premiere Classe, we passed dozens of other hotels.

The hotel lobby is nonexistent. There is no where to sit. There is just a front desk, snack machine, spiral staircase to the breakfast room and elevators. The hallways of the hotel are always dark (in an effort to conserve electricity I suppose). The problem is that the lights are not motion activated (so that they would turn on when you enter), instead you have to walk in the dark to the elevator. It wasn't a big deal for me, but I can imagine that this wouldn't be the proper hotel from someone who is elderly or has poor eyesight and/or balance.

I booked a triple room, which had two twin beds laid out normally and then a third single bunk bed over top of them. We only used the two twin beds. The room is plain and sparsely decorated but the beds are clean and comfortable. The bathroom is small and reminds me of a stateroom bathroom on a cruise ship. There is also a step-up into the bathroom.

I didn't eat breakfast, but I walked through the breakfast room to see if breakfast was worth the money. The only thing that I saw available for breakfast was: plain croissants, baguettes, yogurt, orange juice, tea and coffee. All of the FREE breakfasts I had at hotels in Europe were better than that, so I decided it wasn't worth the money.

Overall, this hotel was worth the 68 Euros/night that I paid for it. It is located a short walk from Gare Part Dieu. It is nothing special, but it is clean and comfortable and really that is all that matters.

The front desk was able to store our luggage for us while we explored the very nice shopping mall across from Gare Part Dieu and had lunch.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank anfdiva25
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stayed here for a week in December. Very disappointed with the size of our double room, particularly the bathroom, which was far too small. One 'all in' cubicle room with shower (where you cannot turn around without flooding the floor with water!) and toilet and sink all in one tiny room. I understand that this hotel is more of a chain often for business use, similar to Holiday and Premier Inn's etc, but the size of this bathroom was only comparable with a basic B&B by UK standards.

I would stress that the room and bathroom were perfectly clean. The bed was very comfortable and good quality.

Breakfast is 4.80 euros and was not included in my deal. We tried it on the first morning and it was just ok - baguette, sliced bread, croissant, yogurts, hot drinks and juice. Good value if your alternative is buying breakfast outside, but we had a travel kettle so decided to buy breakfast pastries (of a nicer and wider choice) from the Monoprix in the big shopping mall along the same road as the hotel.

The location is excellent for onward travel from Part Dieu station. Metro, trams and buses are very close. A walk to the main tourist areas of Bellecour, the old town, river etc is around 30 mins. The shopping mall is under 10 mins away. For anyone arriving late evening as we did, there is a takeaway pizza place opposite the hotel and other fast food outlets further down rue Paul Bert, which runs close to the hotel.

Overall, this hotel is fine for a short stay, although the room should have been bigger even for a reasonable/avergage priced hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Three of us stayed for just one night. We travelled from London by Eurostar to Paris then by TGV onwards to Lyon. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly young lady who spoke good English who quickly checked us in. We were given room 103 which was at the rear of the hotel on the first floor facing the railway lines. The room had three beds, two singles and a bunk bed that went over the two them. The beds were quite firm but comfortable. The room came with air conditioning and T.V. everything was very clean. As mentioned by other reviewers, the toilet/shower room was the tiniest I have ever seen being constructed of pre-formed plastic. The shower area was very small and once you got the water set just right you had to make sure you didn’t lean back and shut the water off!! That said, the water was hot and powerful. As mentioned before, our room faced the railway lines and we have to sleep with the window open a bit but we didn’t find the noise from the trains that intrusive.
The only thing we found a bit disappointing was the €4.80 buffet breakfast that we opted for. Very basic consisting of French bread, croissants, toast, jams plus yoghurts, tea, coffee and fruit juice. Some cereals would have been nice plus some cheese and ham slices for the bread wouldn’t have gone amiss.

The Premiere Classe Lyon Centre hotel is very close to the Gare Part Dieu roughly a five minute walk away. We paid just €57 for our triple room which was great value for money. If you are on a budget and just want somewhere comfortable to sleep you can’t go far wrong with this hotel. We would certainly use this hotel again if we are ever back in Lyon.

The Part Dieu area is the business area of Lyon but it does have the largest shopping mall in France. Getting to the old areas of the city is very simple using Lyon’s excellent transport system. Just one tip – buy a one day travel card for €4.80 called ‘Ticket Liberte’ available from the Metro stations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank finkfloydman
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The hotel is reasonably priced, has a great location within easy walking distance of the train station, and is a good place if all you need is a place to lay your head at night (and have earplugs to stifle the sound of trains running all night nearby).

We generally had a good experience, but one thing really spoiled it for us. We needed some directions to an important historical site we wanted to visit, and we tried numerous times over a 24-hour period to get online. We concluded the hotel's wi-fi was not working. When I went to check with the desk staff on this, the girl barely let me finish asking my question before rudely saying "It's broken."

"Okay," I said, preparing to finish my sentence before being interrupted again and being told the problem was not going to be fixed. Since I was clearly not going to make any headway with this individual in working out a possible solution (including questions on any other place nearby within walking distance where I could get online), I simply left.

This was on the evening of November 19, around 9:00 p.m. and so I hope if management bothers reading reviews, they will know which staff person to speak to about this. Fortunately, the staff each morning was both friendly and helpful. It was, however, this one person who spoiled our trip because we were not able to visit the important site we had specifically come to Lyon to see and were treated so poorly.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Perfect if you are arriving on the TGV at Part Dieu, only a short walk along Boulevard Marius Vivier Merle. Before we arrived I was a bit apprehensive about what the neighbourhood would be like. It's described as the business district so I was worried it would be deserted or seedy after dark, but it is fine and we felt safe walking back to the hotel at night. In fact, the hotel is very well-placed for walking into the centre of Lyon for sightseeing. We walked to Place Bellecour along Rue Paul Bert which is a pleasant 20-minute walk through an interesting residential neighbourhood. The hotel is also close to metro and tram lines. The transport system in Lyon is excellent.

Our room was very clean. Twin rooms fairly small. Bathroom small but perfectly adequate. Excellent shower. No hair dryers: bring your own.

Breakfast very good value indeed. Basic but adequate fare: cereals, toast, juice, hot drinks, baguettes, jams, honey, yogurt. As long as you aren't expecting freshly baked croissants it's fine. In the breakfast room there is a television with news programme on, plus daily newspapers provided. The breakfast staff were very friendly to us during our stay too. Reception staff friendly and helpful too.

Only thing against it is its proximity to the train lines so if you want to sleep with the window open and are a light sleeper you may be disturbed by the noise from the night freight trains. We were there during an unseasonal heat wave and unfortunately the air con broke during our stay so we did need the window open. No dramas though, these things happen.

Room Tip: Twins are a bit small. Choose a triple, these have a double bed, are the same price and are more spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple