“Despicable”

Appart'City Lyon Part-Dieu Garibaldi
Ranked #38 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Lyon
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The worst thing you can do when visiting Lyon France is to book or stay at Appart' City. Firstly the customer service is poor and deceptive. The rooms leave a lot to be desired, portable air condition units, old decapitated couch beds, the staff leaves at 6pm so if you come in after that as I did, you have to find your own keys and room. The rooms are in desperately in need of renovation and look nothing like the online adds. Breakfast is not included and the make shift restaurant is train station standard at best. I had to switched hotels and I was still charged for staying half night which was scary because there were no hotel staff to welcome me and I was also charge an exorbitant cancellation fee. So please do yourself huge favor and stay at a reputable establishment because clearly Appart City is not!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Michael K
There are newer reviews for Appart'City Lyon Part-Dieu Garibaldi

Reviewed 19 June 2013

The service was rahter unfriendly. The hotel closed during the day, i called a help line posted at the door where no-one spoke any English.

When they finally showed up, it appeared the internet was not working and they could not tell me when it would. That was a problem since I was there for work. When I asked to cancel the rest of the stay, they became completely uncooperative.

The room are not terribly tidy although the bed seemed clean. No airco, and still expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank m m
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Stayed here for one night in February for a football match (Lyon v Spurs).

Firstly they will not allow you check in under any circumstances until 1500. However you have to have collected your keys by 20:00 as the reception closes. If you dont then you will not get your key and wont have access to your room - late flights etc may cause an issue.

There is a facility to leave your bag until check in but this is unsecure.

The main reason for our total dislike of the place was the rudeness and unhelpful nature of the male working at reception. He had no interest in accommodating us and trying to ensure we had a nice stay.

The rooms are extremely basic and small. The twin room is hardly a twin room -Two single beds pushed together . There is no room to have them any further apart and It would be better off having a double bed. Our room was also freezing cold all night.

There are no vending machines or other facilities to get a drink in the hotel and no shops nearby. In terms of location its a long way from anything of note and a 10 min walk to the tube.

For the money that they charge to stay here I would look at alternative options. This was not value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rob158
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I made the mistake of visiting Lyon during a conference which saw almost every hotel in the area fully booked, and those remaining with hugely inflated prices. As a result, I ended up paying more than twice the advertised rate to stay here.

The apartment itself is small and functional; small enough that I'm glad to be alone, as two people would feel very cramped in here. It is smaller than most hotel rooms.

The decor is basic and dated. This looks to be to reduce costs and withstand a bit of punishment, but unfortunately those are the same objectives as a detention centre, which is what I feel like I'm staying in. The thick exterior blinds are reminiscent of a garage door closing and do nothing to dispel the detention centre image.

The free WiFi works as advertised, though for the first 4 hours of my stay here it was broken, leading me to believe that I just couldn't figure out how to connect - the problem eventually resolved itself, and the signal seems to be fine through the room (though given the size of the room, perhaps not much of a challenge.)

Check-in after 8pm when reception closes was tricky but not impossible; I was sent two codes via SMS with no instructions, so it was up to me to decipher them in the rain. One is for entering the building, and the other to open the safe that contains your room key... and everyone else's, which is a bit of a risky move (even if it did keep my warm and dry).

There's no restaurant, but there's a vending machine that sells some basic food if you're not fussy, including quiche and pizza during my stay - cold, of course, but there's a microwave in the room. I can't comment on the breakfast as I didn't stay for it. There are also plenty of restaurants and coffee shops around, with a shopping centre a 10 minute walk away.

Other than the problems with the apartment itself, the other guests I found to be quiet and considerate and I had no problems during my stay beyond the WiFi issues. Staff were pleasant (when present), but the price I was charged to stay here is just not at all in touch with the quality of the accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank havanarepublic
Reviewed 11 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank jestemjula
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed one night en route from the channel to the south of France. The room was not air-conditioned and it felt unsafe to leave the windows open at night so it was very hot. Clean enough room, basic but adequate for 4 of us, though a longer stay would not have been fun; the staff were very helpful both when we were booking and on reception. Well-situated for exploring Lyon on foot. Our car parking space was not accessible and on-street parking was limited.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We booked this apartment as it has parking and is quite close to town. However it is very small, with NO decor, tiny rooms and very little light. We did ask to change our room from the first one which was a studio with a sofa bed and very little else. The walls are bare, the balcony is filthy and there is no kettle (however there is a very fancy coffee machine.) This is definitely the most basic of accommodation.
We could have had 2 nights in the Hilton for the same price with a much more comfortable night

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple