“Outstanding location, property, and service”
Review of Villa Florentine

Villa Florentine
Ranked #14 of 196 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 4 December 2011

All the positive things other reviewers have said are true, so I wont repeat them, other than to add my praise for the staff, particularly Anne Christiansen and the rest of the front desk/bell staff. We liked our stay so much that we checked out of another luxury hotel later that week a day early, so we could come back and spend another night at Villa Florentine. You know, I think they were as happy to see us as we were to see them; at least, that is how they made us feel. When I commented on arrival that when I had called the day before, there had been both a suite and a deluxe room available, but I had opted for the room, we were upgraded (I am sorry, I did not catch the young lady's name, but she was very nice) to an outstanding suite -- comfortable, great view, spacious --at no extra charge.

Room Tip: Junior suite was particularly great.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shutterlab

Reviewed 21 November 2011

This place is perfect... the view from the rooms are worth the trip here alone...

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stayed in the Villa Florentine for one night but wish we could have stayed much longer. The hotel was perfect. The service was outstanding and the staff was welcoming and helpful. The room was spacious and elegant, the bed was extremely comfortable. The view from the hotel was amazing and I was pleased with it's close proximity to Old Town.

The hotel and staff are first rate and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Lyon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I'll start off with the bad, but keep in mind that I did give it 5 stars and would urge you to try this beautiful, elegant hotel.

The room was beautiful, spacious and had a fabulous view of the city. It also had a fabulous, direct facing view of the the people sitting on the terrace off the reception area. They were literally 20 feet away on the same level. I felt like they were in the room with us. We could pull the heavy drapes (no sheers!), but then we were paying for the view.

After some back & forth with the manager, they did move us to another deluxe room a few floors higher. We could still see the people on the terrace but at least we were looking down at them instead of face to face. Room was slightly smaller but still considered "deluxe".

Second glitch, the bar is woefully understaffed. They have all this fabulous champagne, aged scotch (16 year old Abelour if you're into that) and brandy but no one to sell it. Even after asking the desk clerk to get someone, it was more than 10 minutes before anyone came. (The desk clerk can't pour a drink?)This was 2 nights in a row. Several couples came and left. I'm glad we stuck it out because it is a beautiful bar and the drinks fabulous.

Everything else was divine. The restaurant was incredible and we had the most perfect table, right near the edge of the balcony with fabulous views. The food and service was just perfect. We will definately go back but will avoid the rooms on the same level as reception.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms adjacent to the reception terrace.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marylou431
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Jerome Montanteme and his staff did an outstanding job of making my husband and my stay a very memorable experience. From the moment we entered the lobby until we left 3 days later, the staff was courteous, attentive and professional which when added to the beauty of the hotel and its views made for a get-away that we have not stopped talking about yet! Lyon is a wonderful stop if you want to escape Paris or other big cities but still enjoy exceptional accommodations and hospitality. Jerome is a delight and believe me when I say he is ready for you to visit!

1  Thank Pamela C
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Hotel Villa Florentine is a beautiful relais chateau above the city of Lyon. We were greeted at check in with an offer of a non alcoholic beverage to have on the terrace. We utilized their beautiful swimming pool after a very hot day and just relaxed. They also offer many spa packages. Our room was very attracive and quiet facing east with a view of old Lyon below, however, we did not realize that there would be a spiral staircase in the room leading to where our bed was! We did find this awkward and even dangerous during the night if one had to use the toliet downstairs. When we were checking out, Jerome, the manager assured us that we could have gotten a room all on one floor. We know now for the next time!
Breakfast on the terrace was delicious and so relaxing. Dinner was not on the terrace, and we realised that the terrace was mainly reserved for smokers. The attractive gardens below were full of roses and a fountain with fish. The bar is decorated beautfully and comfortable. This is a very secluded hotel for a romantic get a way, but not near any metro or public transportation.If you want to explore, you can walk down a large staircase nearby which brings you to lots of charming cafes, markets and the river below. (This staircase was filled with garbage , broken bottles and cigarette butts from the night before, of which we informed the hotel manager.) After walking around the lower section of Lyon and the river, a funicular can bring you to the top , and you can walk down to your hotel from there. I definately will come back, just to enjoy the peace and quiet of this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: avoid a room with a spiral staircase leading to the bedroom above. Try to get a room overlooking ol...
1  Thank jocar99
Reviewed 30 September 2011

As a hotel owner and professor of customer service, I have a very critical eye when it comes to being a guest rather than sitting on the other side of the desk. This hotel does a GREAT job when it comes to personnel, and frankly, I learned from watching them in action. It was absolutely flawless.

The managers, Anne Christensen and Jerome Montanteme were completely available to us, friendly, not the least bit patronizing - they were warm, personable, and made every effort to make our stay truly exceptional.

Other positives: location (terrific, perched on a hillside with great view of the city and easy walk in), housekeepers (spotless), parking (easy) and food (delicious).

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation, and look forward to another stay soon.

Jim Braude