“Fairly run-down hotel in a drab part of Lyon” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Sejours et Affaires Lyon Park Avenue

Residence Sejours et Affaires Lyon Park Avenue
Ranked #159 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
Halifax, Canada
“Fairly run-down hotel in a drab part of Lyon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel caters to longer stays, for example researchers at the university or business trips. The rooms are outfitted with modest kitchen facilities and furniture, in addition to the usual bed and desk. Overall the facilities are pretty run down; stained rugs and furniture, overall somewhat grimy. It's in an industrial part of the city so you're surrounded by banks and blocks of apartments, and lots and lots of traffic noise (it's right by a metro stop).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jzwanzig

Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Mini studio to rent from a day to.... Includes equipped kitchen (microwave, sink, fridge mini freezer). I'm using it for short stays during client's visits to limit my calories intake (no need to go to restaurant at every meal) and lower my food bills. Finding it OK but had minor glitches regarding cleaning and maintenance with some kitchen and decoration tiles gone or on the verge of falling. Also no means to attach the shower to the wall which is a bit useless. Street noise awaking me during the night due to an aeration in the window which cannot be closed - there goes the double glazed window advantage. Price is close to mid-range hotel although there is no daily maid service - yes you need to do your bed and empty the bins. Only incentive to stay there for me is the kitchen.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TonyC4U
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is an apartment type hotel. The apartment we were given on the 5th floor (508 from memory) had a bedroom with double bed and cupboard, bathroom, separate toilet, small kitchen with a confusing door arrangement that conflicts with the bathroom door, and lounge/dining room. We were disappointed. The quality and presentation was poor. The curtains need replacing as they were damaged and looked bad, the bed uncomfortable, the furniture old and tired, the kitchen fit out is tired – the tap on the sink was loose and I feared it would disconnect from the pipe, the bathroom with shower over the bath was basic. The apartment we had could do with a complete renovation to come up to the standard as shown in the photos on their web site. Parking was available for an extra charge in the basement, which we had booked. The one lift was slow. And it was noisy on the Saturday night we stayed. We had the windows open to cool the place, and the yelling from the drunks in the park on the other side of the road went until about 4am. The guy at the desk was helpful, but at times swamped dealing with servicing the enquiries and transactions – he had no backup or support. Breakfast was offered as an extra, but we chose to look after ourselves with a super market across the road. It is next door to the subway which is great for getting into the city. Would we stay here again? Not unless the place has undergone some serious upgrading!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foxey2

Travellers are raving about these Lyon hotels

Staffordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Eight of us shared two apartments at this aparthotel for the weekend, living it up and visiting our son. He lives one stop up the Metro so it was very handy. Talking of handy, and its not obvious on any of bumf I have seen, the aparthotel is, literally, 10ft from the Metro stop so it's great to fall into after a night on the town. The apartments are very well equipped, 9 of us managed to eat and drink combining all the crockery and cutlery, tables and chairs and included corkscrew and coffee filter. We didn't use the cooking facilities but the pots and pans looked adequate. Both the pull-out and main bed were very comfortable, and the various storage facilities were great. Overall, the apartments were clean and fresh and very good value for money. Whilst the hotel is not in a tourist area, there is a market outside on a thursday, bars round the corner and supermarket opposite. It is only two metro stops from Stade Gerland, where Lyon play football and the location of many bars and restaurants, and only a change away from the main tourist areas. I am sure we will return.

On the down side, and a recurrent theme reading other reviews, we had an issue with service. Half our party left on sunday and asked if they could leave their cases somewhere for the day, yes behind the reception desk, and asked to book a taxi for 1345. When they returned at 1345 they discovered that reception was closed and didn't re-open 'til 1500, and they booked the taxi! Fortunately, the taxi driver eventually managed to sort the issue and they caught the plane home. But not impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank superjfromthesouth
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed there for two nights, so didn't really use the kitchen or the amenities that the hotel offered. It's fine for business stay, on top of the subway. My unit had a separate living room/dining plus bedroom. I did not pay for it, and I was busy, I didn't much care. Nothing outrageous to report. But chances are you won't be charmed, either.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Midlands, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

I stayed here for 2 months in February and March 2011. I got a good deal through an arrangement that the hotel has with the university where I was working - 38 euros per night for a 2-roomed apartment with tiny kitchennette area in the main room. At this price it was satisfactory. I would have been disappointed if I'd paid the full rate.

The bedroom had a double bed in but was very small indeed. The kitchenette had a microwave oven, two-ringed hob and a fridge.

The television was the greatest disappointment and one of the main reasons why I shan't stay there again when I return for my next stay. The volume was set at far too low a level. Since I wanted to improve my French it was important for me to watch a lot of French TV, but I could barely hear it. I had a second TV in the bedroom, but although this was audible it was very old and the picture quality was very poor and I could only get about 4 channels.

The staff - as several reviwers have indicated - were below par. They were civil, but have no customer service ethic. No apologies when things went wrong - like the lift breaking down or the wifi not working. The lift broke down 5 times during my 2-month stay, and since there's only one lift it was a real nuisance when it wasn't operating. And the staff never took the trouble to walk up to each floor and stick a notice on the lift doors telling people that it wasn't working, so one stood there for ages, pressing the button, and no lift would arrive, so eventually one would work out that it wasn't working. The cleaners often took over the lift, too, keeping it for ages on the ground floor while they unloaded sack after sack of dirty linen. A second lift is badly needed.

Staff were uninterested in customer service. They responded to requests when asked, but never went out of their way, and were civil, but not what one could call pleasant and helpful. Seldom did they greet guests as they came in and out.

This hotel is just about adequate when the low tarif is considered, but the low tarif meant that I got a tired and shabby room that badly needs a face lift. The lounge is sparsely furnished - just the basic furniture: a small 2-seater bed-settee, a small coffee table, a desk and hard, wooden chair, and a small dining table and two more hard, wooden chairs. An extra arm chair would've been nice and would have fitted in. Lots of details were lacking that wouldn't have cost much to install but which would've made life much easier for guests: a draining rack in the kitchen; coat hooks by the door, etc.

There's often quite a lot of street noise at night - it's quite a rowdy area, and it wasn't unusual to get yobs yelling late at night.

The biggest issue I had was that there's no staff on duty during the night. I don't know what would happen if there were an emergency, or if one accidentally locked oneself out - there was no emergency contact number given.; no one there to quieten noisy neighbours in other rooms.

On the plus side, it's located right next door to the metro, and there's a supermarket right across the road. But it's not the best of areas in Lyon and a metro ride is needed to get into the centre of town.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Smitherson
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

I booked this hotel for 2 nights in January as we were having a short stop in Lyon on our way to Switzerland. This hotel has the potential to be great value as it was only about €90 a night, but unfortunately it is let down. First the bad:
The room was almost vacant of furniture, paint missing on walls, water takes forever to heat up, curtains don't cover the whole window so street lights shine into bedroom, very noisy both from hallways and the street and we were on the 8th floor. But the worst thing was the service. On the day we arrived there were only 2 towels in the room despite being 4 of us. I went down to the front desk and asked for 2 more towels so we could shower the kids. I was told they would be brought straight up. 4 hours later at 8pm I went down to ask again and was by the man that he would bring them up when he isn't the only one on the desk. At 9am the next morning I had to go down to ask AGAIN and the lady at the desk said the cleaning staff would leave extras that day. When i said I wanted to clean the kids before we went out she reached BEHIND THE COUNTER and gave us 2 towels!!!!!! WHY THE 17 HOUR WAIT???
On the good side the room has a small kitchen to prepare your own meals, is spacious (although thats because there is hardly anything in there), there is a supermarket across the street to buy food and groceries and the metro station is on the corner.
Disappointing