“Very well rounded meal”
Review of Guy Lassausaie

Guy Lassausaie
Ranked #14 of 3,442 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Had the 6 course tasting menu and left very full. The service is good, but expected a little more from a relais & chateaux level restaurant. The food is very good. Nothing that I tasted would be considered ground breaking or inventive, but solid and full of flavor. The staff was a little pushy with wine, but that could just be my lack of translation and experience with French service. I recommend this restaurant if you have a car and GPS if you don't, then you should probably stay in the Lyon city center area.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

It is hard to achieve 2 Michelin stars and it is even harder to be Maitre de France. The Owners couple definitely deserves to harvest on their hard work no doubt. The trouble with 2 stars Michelin is that the air becomes thin and the expectations are high. I have eaten in many 2 and even 3 star restaurants - and even many more NO Star restaurants so plainly speaking, my criteria somehow do not match the hype around this restaurant.
To make it simple and fair:
The atmosphere is excellent and worthy 5 points
The service is flawless and simply perfect - worthy any 5 points or even more if you like.
The presentation of the food is perfect, sometimes a little bit too over the top but by all standards excellent, so also 5 points.
Now to the food. Here my verdict is mixed - We had 2 of their more expensive menus (76 and 88 Euro). The starters were a bit plain, only one was really interesting, followed by a few main courses - the fish was great but very little - some of the sauces which were served with the main courses were very good and perfectly balanced, refined and top class - other main courses were rather plain and pretty average and somehow lacking taste. The trouble came with the desserts. They served an intermediate dessert - kind of a chocolate milk cream - which i can find in any office cantine, served with a almond sugar crusty cake - embarrassing low to delivery this, for such a high class restaurant. A 2star MIchelin does NOT serve something like this. More mistakes happened as we had a sorbet in-between meals - very good b.t.w. - but then they repeated that sorbet as part of one dessert, why ??? I have never seen a Michelin restaurant doing such simple mistakes. Apart from that - the other dessert had a coconut cake - terrible taste and some ananas carpaccio that was below any understandable standard. It was soaked in sugar and all ananas taste was gone - I am sorry - if this chef would go into a competition with such a collection of food - he would not make a great impression. The cheese was excellent, but that is the minimum one can expect from such a restaurant.
So overall - with interesting starters that had refined and high class taste, to rather plain and average main courses and below standard desserts - i can only think of a 3 for the food.

I almost have the impression that for the pressure of this 2 Michelin stars this restaurant is trying everything maybe a bit too much and over the top. Their food is not their strong point - the service is outstanding and I would recommend this restaurant for sure to everybody to try for himself - but I am sorry, given the choices there are - i won't come back - I have eaten too many times much better before, we go 70% for the taste, so sorry though that it did not make it overall.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The reviews of this 2 Michelin star restaurant are spot on - the food is amazing!

The restaurant is quite far out of town and does cost around 60 euro each way in a taxi.

We chose the 88 euro 6 course degustation option. One of our group does not eat seafood and the staff were very accommodating. Each of the courses were just spectacular, everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food.

At times the service was a little lacking; our water glasses remained empty occasionally and when we asked for the desert menu in English (spoken in French) one of the staff replied (in French) that we didn't need the English menu as the deserts were the same. We persevered and another staff member provided the menu in English.

Apart from that this is an outstanding restaurant and deserves the Michelin rating.

We would travel to this restaurant again.

1  Thank Nikki T
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Best meal in Lyon! Every dish was delicious and portions are big! Also includes many extra dishes compliments of the chef including amuse and large selection of desserts. They even have a kids menu which includes salmon appetizer, roasted chicken with potatoes and gelato/fruit. Beautiful decor and impeccable service. I can see why Guy Lassausaie has two Michelin stars. Amazing experience and a must try.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband took me here as a surprise and we had the menu degustation, allowing the sommelier to choose the wines between courses. The service here was just right, with very helpful staff that knew everything about what they were serving, responsive, friendly with just enough of that fabulous French preciseness to the service we have come to love. The other people in the dining room that day were couples like us, business meetings, and groups of friends all having a good time. The tables were spaced well apart and we never got the impression that we were in a room full of people, it was like we were each in our own little private dining room. The tasting menu was gorgeous, plate after plate, and balanced just right. Each dish had a little something that inspired me whether it was a flavor combination or texture. I saw some Japanese influence in some dishes with use of tempura, but at the same time the plates were solidly French. I particularly loved the spider crab chaud-froid with its gorgeous layer of gelatin hidden under a gorgeous creamy langoustine rich whipped sauce, and the prefect lamb chops with a visually jarring and velvety-tasting lamb shoulder cromesquis. After ample cheeses I made the decision not to order dessert, but did enjoy the pre-dessert very much with coffee, which was a verbena infused bavarois with chocolate underneath and tuiles. The little raspberry macarons and mini tarte aux pralines lyonnaise were both simple perfection as well. The coffee could be improved but I am not going to remove my perfect score because, well, lets just say I have only had good coffee in one restaurant in France, ever. I think if they started using locally roasted artisanal coffee like Cafe Mokxa (Lyon) coffee it would just take this place from excellent to simply heavenly.

1  Thank Lucy V