“Restaurant étoilé, solid delivery but without the expected "je ne sais quoi"”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Mere Brazier

La Mere Brazier
Reserve with
La Mere Brazier is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,224 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Griffon - Royale
London
“Restaurant étoilé, solid delivery but without the expected "je ne sais quoi"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

There are a few things that make a real difference in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant. For sure not the courtesy of staff (tick), the impeccability of the décor (tick), the number of amuse-bouches, the home made paninis or exotic butters that can already fill you up in a blink of an eye (all ticks). The thing that should really make you "wow" is, in our opinion, the food, in particular the main courses. We enjoyed our lunch at La Mere Brazier, but really lacked that wow factor. The roasted lamb was good, obviously perfectly cooked, but very, very, very tasty (we don't expect lamb to taste like chicken, but this one was surprisingly intense in flavour despite its size), and the accompaniment was to our horror so greasy it was inedible. The waiter cleared the dish and did not even ask why the accompaniment was left untouched. The chasse again was balanced in flavour with its sauce and accompaniments (although the mix of polenta and gnocchi is something we would not characterise as extremely successful), but something that faded from our memory in just a few hours. The wine list is extremely rich, but with very few options under 50 euros, which is a share given the repertoire of excellent but affordable wines in the region.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Londonsense

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“fabulous lyon michelin meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Opening Remarks:
-Currently Two Michelin Stars (had previously received three in 1922)
-The restaurant was founded in 1921 by Eugenier Brazier at the age of 26 (wow)- over the years, the restaurant attracted politicians and celebrities, and as a result has since become a culinary institution.
-The restaurant had closed down for a while between Brazier and current Executive Chef Mathieu Viannay, and reopened it’s doors in 2008

Ambiance:
-We were sat in the front room on the main floor but there are also small dining rooms upstairs to accommodate a total of 70 guests at a time
-The room is bright, spacious and simply adorned. When you walk into the massive wooden doors through the old wooden hallway, you feel as though you are being invited into someone’s grandiose home.
-A glass showcase cabinet displays various awards and accolades including the prestigious Michelin man
-The dress code is chic- you don’t need to wear a jacket, but you also probably shouldn’t wear shorts or flip flops. A peak around our dining room revealed a pretty vast demographic- from an older well-dressed French couple, to a younger more casual tourist pair. Overall, I would say it’s largely a date-night destination, but may also be appropriate for high end business meetings.

Service:
-At the beginning of our meal, Chef Viannay (who is gorgeous, by the way) popped by our table to greet us and wish us a fabulous evening – I do appreciate when they make that effort as it helps put a face to what’s on my plate.
- Our main server was very helpful at translating the menu for us and providing descriptions when asked. We did have one assistant server who was unable to answer any questions but he did admit it was his first week so I can certainly excuse him for struggling.

Drink:
-Sommelier Denis Verneau has composed a fairly elaborate yet affordable French wine list with a number of wines available by glass, Demi bottle (31- 132€), full bottle (30-4600€), and even magnum (74-2050€)
-We both started with glasses of Moet Cru. At the recommendation of our server, we then moved onto a wonderful ½ bottle of Meursault, while I later tried a white port. I had told him I tend to like somewhat sweeter wines, which he apparently interpreted quite liberally indeed. Thankfully, it was so delicious, I didn’t mind drinking it with my meal. My partner tried it and liked it so much, he finished his dessert with a glass of his own.

Food:
-Best described as traditional cuisine updated with modern techniques, presentation and seasonal ingredients
-The menu can be ordered a la carte divided into appetizers (35-55€ ), fish (55-80€), meat (50-60€), and desserts (20€). There are also a number of tasting menus from which to choose ranging in length and price - 70€ for 3 courses, 95€ for 4, 115€ for 5, and 140€ for 6. Having battled through a lengthy meal just the night before and coming to appreciate that 3 courses in Lyon is enough to feed a family of four, we opted to just go with that and share each course. In the end, with all the extra small courses and amuses, it ended up being far more than just 3 dishes each.

Ham & Herb Loaf with Herbed Sour Cream

Delicious moist savoury cake that was absolutely delicious dipped into the tangy rich cream.

Salmon Tartar in Cauliflower Cream

A surprisingly light bite- the sweetness of the salmon complemented the mild cauliflower which also served to brighten up the cream. Fabulous.

Pigeon Pate, Rillettes and Poached Fig

I loved the mild sweetness and nutty flavour of the pigeon, which was quite different in the two preparations. I think I ended up preferring the rillettes ,which had a more defined meaty texture than the well-set pate. I also would have liked some more fruit or compote to pair with the pate, which was a very rich to eat all on its own.

Foie Gras and Bresse Chicken Pate en Croute with Black Cherry Jelly

With the pastry and the extra cherry on the plate, this dish solved the minute problems I found with the former dish. The foie gras in there also added an extra level of sumptuous satiny texture that was absolutely divine.

Red Mullet with Stuffed Zucchini Flower, Eggplant and Tomato with Espelette Chili Butter Sauce

Deliciously moist and meaty, I think mullet may be one of my new favourite fish. I really liked the combination of the mild white fish with the spicy butter adding richness but not weighing it down.

Ballotine of Rabbit Stuffed with Raw Almonds and Dried Fruit, with Rabbit Croquettes, Girolle Mushrooms, Pea Puree and Savory Jus

With all the crunchy nuts and chewy raisins inside, the texture the ballotine was simply divine. I did find the dish as a whole a bit overseasoned and taxing on the palate, however. Having said that- those croquettes – so addictive.

Fresh Cheese Ice Cream with Almond Madeline

Mmm… such a nice palate cleanser and surprisingly light. It essentially tasted a bit like a light buttermilk sorbet because the mild tanginess of the cheese cut the richness of the cream.

Lemon Meringue Tart, Pistachio Financier, Praline Tart and Tiramisu

An adorable little selection. My favourite of the bunch was the lemon meringue, which was creamy, toasty and tart all at once in the most delicate shell of pastry.

Paris Brest with Praline Cream and Caramelized Hazelnut Ice Cream

They must have been reading my food-focused mind because on my walk over to the restaurant that night I was thinking about how I regretted not seeking out Paris Brest whilst in Paris. Well, let me tell you. I fell in love. The pastry was crackly on the surface and fluffy inside with a silky angelic nutty cream and a slightly bitter ice cream to offset the sweetness. I’m officially obsessed with Paris Brest.

Apple Tarte Tatin with Beer Ice Cream

Tarte tatin has always been a favourite dessert, and this was a fabulous example. Here the pastry was super delicate and allowed the deeply caramelized apple to shine. The ice cream on the side had this unmistakable hoppy note to really offset the sugar. Another solid dessert.

Closing Remarks:
-For two 3 course pre-fixe meals, a half bottle of Meursault, 2 glasses of port, 2 glasses of Moet and a few large bottles of still water, the bill came to 270€ ($370 Canadian). Not cheap, no, but for a 2 Michelin Star with excellent food and solid service, I felt it was a fair price.
-I would definitely recommend Mere Brazier to those looking for a more special meal in Lyon. I would certainly return to try one of the more elaborate tasting menus on a night I’m a bit more hungry and don’t mind investing in a more lengthy meal.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Abbey S
Brisbane, Australia
“Stunning!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stumbled across this gem by chance. Greeted by a range of staff who were attentive and able to speak English - then seated in a beautiful, elegant yet retro setting. The Chef himself came out to say hello and the experience began.
Prices are inline with a 2 michelin star feed, but the meal we ordered was divine. From memory it was the Seasonal dinner menu ... and the entree (bone marrow something) was DIVINE. Best. enteree. ever.
Food was amazing - works of art and tasted great. Wine expensive but lovely. Service was hilarious ... so many staff per table! English wasnt fabulous, but still very good. We really enjoyed ourselves.

• Visited January 2014
Derby, United Kingdom
“Best food in France's capital of food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Despite only one waiter speaking English the service was very special. The lunch menu at this 2 michelin star restaurant was exceptional, not at all traditional French but a huge twist on classic dishes, The desserts (as you'd expect in France) were very very good and the highlight of the meal. The atmosphere was excellent - this was our first fine dining in France and we expected it to be quite stuffy but it wasn't - very light hearted but very very professional. A real treat

• Visited February 2013
Colombo
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

This place could be so much better. We went for the prix fixe lunch and maybe dinner is much better. That would explain the many good reviews. The bread, wine, starter and the amuse-bouche was gorgeous. If the main course and dessert was even average, this would have got 4 or even 5 stars. The service was a little pretentious but the sommelier was really good and chose some really nice wines.

Visited March 2013