“If you are in Lyon on a Sunday in this area, this may be your only option, but don't bother otherwise.”
Review of Le Damier Des Brotteaux - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Le Damier Des Brotteaux
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marechal Lyautey - Vitton
Reviewed 17 October 2012

After trawling the Brotteaux area of Lyon on a quiet October Sunday evening, this seemed to be the only restaurant open apart from various kebab houses and Pizza Hut, so was quite pleased to find a fairly traditional looking restaurant. I was served by a polite waiter and was looking forward to a nice meal. I ordered in my best broken French and to be fair to the waiting staff, they were very helpful. Then about 45 minutes passed and I was getting through my basket of bread. Eventually two very apologetic waiters appeared and informed me that the ordering terminal didn't seem to have displayed the order in the kitchen, so they never received the order. As they gave me a large beer and the entree was very nice- Parma ham and melon, I was ready to forgive this. After about another 20 minutes, one of the waiters said would you like a coffee, assuming as it was about 10:30 by then that I was finished. I still had not had my main. This arrived eventually, rump steak with vegetables and mashed potatoes. The rump steak was like a piece of wood, but by this point after a long journey I was beyond caring, so made my way through it. I noted that a couple across from me were having similar problems with the steak while I was waiting. The staff were clearly a bit embarrassed by the whole thing as they offered me a drink as I left - without leaving a tip obviously. This place clearly could do a lot better. The restaurant is a nice environment- nice decor and in a good location, also open when most of Lyon seems to be a ghost town. The management need to get their computer system sorted out and get a chef that can cook rump steak that is more tender than wood, and this place may be worth visiting. Until then, I would avoid.

Reviewed 30 September 2012

We arrived in Lyon late in the afternoon after a long journey and wanted a restaurant close by for a meal. Lyon has a reputation as a centre of gastronomy but this restaurant served the worst main course imaginable. And the one at the adjoining table looked little better.

When we ordered the waiter asked if we wanted the 'menu' or per plate. Without considering my husband said 'menu'. Then it turned out that many of the entrees were no longer available but we had a quite nice carpaccio each, one of beef and one of salmon. We had ordered chicken brochettes for mains and they arrived lukewarm, charred and dry, seemingly having been precooked and partially reheated. The cindered outside was about a third thick before arriving at the dry centre. The vegetables accompanying it were also reheated, a mashed hash of an overcooked 'Mediterranean' type mix. The sauce was a sticky mix tasting of honey and soy but little else. It was just as well the potato dauphinoise was hot and edible.

When the waiter removed the plates I complained, he apologised asked if we wanted anything else, which I refused as I didn't want to risk it and asked for the bill. The waiter went and spoke to a manager who came to ask what the problem was. He asked if we would have dessert which we again declined, he then offered an aperitif. Again we refused but he went and got a bottle and poured 2 glasses. I do not drink this type of liquor but my husband accepted and drank. The manager said that he would not charge for the wine which were 2 small pitches of the house wine. When the bill arrived we were charged for two, 3 course menus even though we had only 2 courses and I had left more than 70% of my main.

I would advise anyone to think carefully before eating at this restaurant, especially on a Sunday night. I have been feeling unwell for the rest of the evening.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We ate here our very first night in Lyon after traveling all day. It was one of the few places that was open on the May Day Holiday. Very good food and waitstaff. Our waiter spoke English very well, which though not a necessity, was very helpful. Be brave and get the Beef Tartar. You won't regret it!

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I've been walking past this brasserie for weeks now, thinking it had a really lovely atmosphere and I should try it. Happened to be passing again with a friend, both a bit hungry but with my dog. Would they let her in? Looks a bit smarter than your average cafe.... We'll ask.
They couldn't have been sweeter! Of course we could come in, despite it being a busy lunchtime. We both just had salads, and I can say that the Damier, with mimolette and avocado, was delicious, as was the Lyonnaise. It wasn't really about the food for us, although next time it will be; but the friendliness of the waiting staff was exceptional.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lyon, France
Reviewed 24 November 2007

too expensive. Awful service. Nice setting, though.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook