“Excellent location and helpful staff”

Hotel des Celestins
Ranked #15 of 193 Hotels in Lyon
France
“Excellent location and helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

I stayed here for one night on my own when passing through Lyon, and then booked for the following week for one night with my husband and son rather than an airport hotel as I found the location ideal for both sightseeing and shopping, the rooms were clean, the price very reasonable and the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms are small but well furnished with ensuite. It is like an apartment building so you get a key to a certain floor and enter that part of the corridor with your key where there are then about four rooms. I found it reasonably quiet except when the people in the room next door came in/went out - no street noise that I was aware of but I do sleep soundly! You need to be prepared to walk up and down the stairs - the lift is a small, traditional French apartment lift and was broken on our second stay. The breakfast is ok - a bit pricey but you can eat what you want and there is enough choice for anyone - plus it is optional. Wifi is unreliable though. There is no kettle/bar in the room but you can get soft or hot drinks at reception. Nothing I asked for was too much trouble for the reception staff and they gave me an excellent restaurant recommendation. Parking in the streets is very difficult so I parked in the nearby car park (there are several nearby) which was expensive but very convenient. I will definitely stay here again when I next visit Lyon - overall great value as long as you don't intend to spend too long in the room as there isn't much space.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

This hotel is conveniently situated in a quiet part of central Lyon. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful. We particularly appreciated their advice on restaurants,bars and shops.Our stay here was most enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

We stayed there last summer, was a pleasant experience. The rooms are decent but what we really liked was the more than functional A/C which some of the other hotels did not have - and I'm glad we got this as it was REALLY HOT last summer.
Also, we forgot a small folder in our room, the staff were kind enough to call our cell and then mailed it to us in Zurich.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

I spent 3 days at this hotel.EXcellent location ,central and in a good neighborhood.easily accessible by bus #99 from gare part dieu.What made the stay special is the help and warmth of personnel at reception,Emilie and Alexandra.They went out of their way to find places one is seeking, and to make restaurant reservation. all for 91 euros / night ( room overlooking the theatre)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

I booked this hotel for 3 nights after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. The staff dealt promptly with my initial email enquiries and when I called with my credit card details to finalise the booking (they don't have a secure online booking system and I didn't want to send them via email) the English speaking staff were friendly and efficient. Although our room was small it was very comfortable and the refurbished bathroom was lovely. We didn't have the breakfast but the breakfast room is available during the day as a sitting room. When I couldn't get my laptop to connect to their Wifi (due to tmy computer settings, not their system) we were offered free access to the office computer and a free cup of tea!

Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

The hotel is in an ideal location and the staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. The rooms were comfortable and breakfast very good.

1 Thank Travelers194448
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

Hotel des Celestins is located in the heart of Lyon between the two rivers near Place Bellecours. This gives you easy access to old town and therefore to all the bars and restaurants.
The hotel is very cosy and the rooms are small but functional and modern. The staff are very friendly and helpfull. The breakfast was plenty and kept bringing fresh food out.