“OK and nice, but nothing special”

Hotel des Celestins
Ranked #14 of 195 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed at Hôtel des Celestins for two nights, and that was about enough. I took me an hour to park (I know, having a car in a big city isn't always easy). The staff were all friendly and polite. The rooms are small, even by French standards. The WiFi is free but unreliable. Location is good.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Leapy78
Write a ReviewReviews (1,053)

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Th e hotel itself was very good -- quiet, very nice rooms for a 2 star, great breakfast and good location. But, I had my computer stolen out of my room - the security cameras were not working, no offering of getting the police involved, no mention of questioning the maids, a discount of 5% was given off the already discounted internet price which I had -- needless to say -- I was not happy. But I learned the following: keep the serial and model number of your computer with you, the French police in Lyon were no help, they would not file a report for my insurance co in the states, lock your computer in your suitcase, ... so -- mixed review -- hotel physically was great -- the handling of my stolen computer was below mediocre.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank wanderingtraveler60
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We had the "large" theatre side room, view of theatre is good if you lean out the window. Room is fine for a couple but the extra bed is a fold out from an armchair, not suitable for adults at all, so avoid this hotel if you are three adults! The best aspect is location, with easy walking access to all points of touristic interest. Many appealing boulangeries in the neighbourhood if you dont want to spend 9€ pp on breakfast. Very high end shopping at your doorstep. Sorry but just can't get excited by this hotel, on return visit we will try another hotel or chambre d'hotes as there are many options in this beautiful city. It does fit the french 2 star rating to a T.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank Stanley044
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Enjoyed my stay here - staff were all lovely - very helpful and pleasant. My theatre view room was perfectly adequately sized for sleeping in, with a comfortable bed - not much more I want from a hotel room when I am in a beautiful city in another country!! Beyond the theatre view you get the bonus of the Basilica Fourviere too - pretty spectacular! The location of this hotel is excellent - the markets by the Saone, plenty of shopping, plenty of restaurants and bars all in easy walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The location is perfect. The rooms are very clean. Our room was very small but had everything we needed-- a nice bathroom, reading lights, desk, queen bed.

Another great thing is that breakfast (not included in price of room) can be had until Noon, coffee or tea up until 10 p.m. (at a small fee).

The desk staff speak English and are very pleasant and helpful. There is an elevator but I don't know if it reaches the highest floor.

When you exit the hotel you are in a neighborhood with lots of stores and restaurants.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

we took this particular room on the last floor after reading a favorable review in tripadvisor and we were well prepared. No real window because it's under the roof, just a slanted one called a "vasistas", but the spacious room and double bed makes up for the lack of view. the bed had a firm mattress, perfect for those with a bad back. Le bouilloire is their largest room, so if you can't get it, I'd guess you'll have to put up with very little space.
nb the elevator only goes to the 5th floor so we have to carry our suitcases up the last flight - easy due to a wide and low staircase.excellent 2 star hotel

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2010

At 11pm when we went to bed we discovered the hair and stains on the sheets. Obviously these were not changed between traveler visits. We left and found another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple