“Has no menu, doesn't need one.”
Review of Les Adrets

Les Adrets
Ranked #51 of 3,438 Restaurants in Lyon
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vieux Lyon - Quarantaine
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were at a bookshop paying for a large tome before I asked for recommendation for a place nearby and was pointed towards Les Adrets. We were warned that reservations were required but we could give it a try.

When we arrived we were given a place but it was supposed to be a share table, and our partners did not show up when we were there. While waiting for the menu, the waitress (1 of 2) came up and said there's no menu and we can choose between two items for appetizer and mains. To try out what they had to offer, we ordered one of each. Since this was also the first day of Beaujolais Nouveau, there was a bottle of it on the table as well.

Appetizer was smoked salmon salad and beef pastry. Both were prepared nicely. Salad had just enough tang to it without being overpowering.

Mains on the day we were there was fillet of St Pierre and a beef dish that reminds me of Bourgoignon, cooked in red wine sauce. Both of which were prepared nicely to our taste. There's not much choice here, you take what they give you. The good news is that the preparation is pretty good so there's no need to be fussy when you eat here.

Dessert was a collection of 3 sweets and cakes. All nicely prepared.

Unlike other restaurants in France, for Les Adrets you walk up to the counter and you pay. The surprise of the day is that the cost for this lunch set menu was only 17€ per person, including the bottle of Beaujolais. Not only was the food good, but the price was very affordable as well. The service was fast but we didn't feel as though we were ignored at all. Not much english spoken, so be prepared.

Great find for us. Perhaps one of the best meal we've had in Lyon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had dinner at Les Adrets (must reserve a few days in advance). An unusual but tasty chestnut-and-clam amuse bouche was a good introduction. I stayed with the seafood theme by having a 'cassoulette" of prawns and cepe mushrooms as my starter, and grilled scallops wrapped in pancetta as my main. Both were divine. My husband had an egg-and-cepe starter followed by a main consisting of three types of meat - not entirely sure what they were - but he liked it. There was a curious "fruit / plant / alcohol" sorbet intermezzo between the starter and the main. Then the cheese course and the dessert. I thought both were a bit ordinary - with the cheeses too cold to have really had their flavours develop, and my crème brulee much like any other; that said, my husband's rhum baba was excellent. Taking it all together, I'd give reasonably high marks for the food, and the service was terrific. The real negative was the extremely tightly spaced tables. Our neighbouring diners were practically on top of us.

1  Thank Alpaca19
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Many restaurants in this neighbourhood are "tourist traps". Les Adrets does at least offer up decent food, but the service is caught up with the rushed tourist trade.

Wait staff does not take the time to listen properly, and then dishes appear not quite as ordered.

Vegetable soup was very good, steaks not cooked as requested. Still, this is a safer bet than many others in the immediate vicinity.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

It’s an impressive machine in here. We walked in at about 19:45 and were glad we had reserved for within 15 minutes the place was practically full and several hopefuls were turned away.

They managed about 40 covers with just two front of house staff and what looked like a trio in the kitchen. The solution is lots of pre-prep and running, so service manages to be efficient while staying friendly.

The food is decent. Not fantastic, just decent. I enjoyed my first dish of a poached egg on a bed of cepes in a sauce. I found my scallops wrapped in pancetta with vegetables a bit overcooked and the mash dull, but my wife pronounced her “3 poissons en nage” perfectly cooked. Puddings are the usual suspects (panacotta, tiramisu, sorbet etc) but decently done. A crème brulee was well flavoured without cheap fillers and my lightly stewed raspberries came with a good ice cream. They will never get a Michelin star here, but that is probably the last thing they are thinking about while the tills are ringing. What they do get is loyal locals as well as tourists such as us.

A 46cl pichet of Macon at EU18 was very drinkable and fair value.

We had the four course menu (includes a so-so cheese course) which is very good value at EU34 with a little amuse bouche and a sorbet entremet.

The layout is “corridor style” with banquettes down each side which are ranged with tables. It opens out to a former courtyard beyond (roofed over, and probably best avoided on a sunny lunchtime) which provides extra seating, and then an open kitchen beyond that. So it’s a comfortable place as well as bustling. If you go be sure to note the amazing beam which runs from front to back, supported by an intermediate stone pillar. I reckon it’s about 50’ long and a single timber, making it the largest such I’ve ever seen in a secular building.

If you found this review helpful, please click the Yes button. Thanks.

5  Thank Jandelle
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The service is very friendly and welcoming.
Food is good and variety is also good.
Price is sensible....not inexpensive.
Seating is cramped but a good feel to the restaurant compensates for that.
Just a few yards of the main street but a great place to dine.

Been to Les Adrets? Share your experiences!