I first stayed at this beautiful hotel for four days in 1968 with my father when it had three stars and the old man Bise himself was still cooking. Naturally, my father paid. I have never forgotten that stay nor its poulet de bresse a l'estragon. I returned in 1981 and found the experience a disappointment, so I did not return again until this August.
The hotel rooms are much improved and very comfortable if decorated in idiosyncratic fashion. The location beside the lake with its cool, fragrant lawns and glades remains superb and the more so for the excellent lakeside service which is rapid and discreet. Dinner was simply unforgettable. Wonderful amuse bouche and delicious foie gras. Again I had the poulet a l'estragon and it was as magnificent as I remember it 45 years ago. Finally the grand marnier souffle was superb. The wine list is outstanding and caters to all tastes. Following the reviews of some others, I had expected rather sniffy service and a reluctance to speak english. This was absolutely not the case and the staff were solicitous to a very high degree. The service was excellent.
Finally, the poulet a l'estragon is a dish for two but my wife does not like tarragon. I therefore ordered this dish just for myself and asked the staff to bag the second half for me to take away. They agreed without demur and I duly received the second half beautifully packaged in a box from their fridge to take with me when I left on the Sunday morning. I had this warmed up for dinner the following Monday. It was again magnificent.
On our three week holiday this summer, we ate in several Michelin one star rated restaurants. Pere Bise is hugely superior to all of these. It is astonishing that it has not got back at least its second star. It deserves it. However, the experience does not come cheaply.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shore of Annecy lake, in a large and quiet park, this exceptional location will give you an experience of Privilege, with the proximity of the skiing resorts of Aravis mountains in winter, or with the serenity of our private beach where you can swim in the purest lake of Europe in summertime. Gastronomy complete this to make Auberge du Pere Bise a unique place. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS and Priceline so you can book your Auberge Du Pere Bise reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auberge Du Pere Bise Hotel Talloires
- Auberge Du Pere Bise Talloires