“I'm really pleased with my choice”

Hotel L'Aigle des Neiges
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed here for four nights with my two sons for a quick ski trip. I could not have chosen better. Our rooms were excellent, staff were very friendly. The boot room guys were spot on. Not bad value and the location was great. The bar is a bit soulless but very clean and efficient. I will be going back and I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Hotel L'Aigle des Neiges, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your comment about our property.

This is a real pleasure for us, I will share your experience with all my team.

We remain at your disposal, for your next trip in Val d'Isère.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed a few days in December.
We appreciated the location , the breakfast and part of the staff.
BUT the rate is a scandal for a rather 3* , the spa is full of noisy kids and forget the room service.
Discussions with the staff and regular clients confirmed that there is definitely a problem .
We paid a fortune to learn , hope you benefit from our sad experience.
We believe that recent advises are just fakes..

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rol S

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your post on the website.

First of all, all recent advises are not fakes. We received a lot of comments, true this site, but also true Guest Comments before departure or after departure, and a lot of them are really positive.

I could understand that prices were really expensive, but you must know that december is a very high season for us and in Val d'Isère. Unfortunately, our rates are based on the demand and the offer, and our prices were the same as other hôtels in the area during this period.

For the swimming pool, I could perfectly understand your point, but during holidays, we have a lot of families in our property.

If you need more information, I remain at your disposal,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Oh dear, Aigle Des Neiges. We've enjoyed you for three years now. Yes, you’re expensive. But you have so much going for you: the location from one thing; the lovely ski hire people in the basement (complimented by many reviewers and deservedly so); that roaring fire and comfy sofasto tumble into after a hard day on the slopes, avec a chilled glass of Chablis. Hmm, that Chablis. I dream about it all year.

But a hotel's reputation cannot rest on one delicious glass of Chablis alone. So enough of the good; here’s the bad and the ugly...

First, the rooms: let’s be honest they’re beginning to look a little weary: frayed carpets, grubby curtains, scuffed walls. We stayed at Avenue Lodge a few years back and their rooms were far, far superior. Your rooms smell of smoke and many are dark and poky. They're too hot too.

I booked at least four months in advance and specifically asked for a quiet room - yet we were placed right above the bar area, where they pump out 90s dance classics (think Ultra Nate’s Set You Free) every single evening (even worse Thurs - Sat when they have a live DJ). When I queried the noise at reception, I was told that I can always phone down from the room and ask them to turn it down, akin to a moaning granny. What a great idea! Here’s a better one: why don’t you just knock the silly booming club music on the head completely? It’s completely incongruous to the generally chilled out atmosphere - and as a result, the bar seems to be largely empty from 9pm onwards.

I’m afraid the rooms are noisy in general. Every door in the hotel seems to creak: next door’s bathroom door creaked, as did the one above us - and ours too. Along with the inevitable boom, boom from the bar below, all I could hear was creak, creak all night long. It made me want to go wild with a giant bottle of WD40.

The food: We went half-board this time. The food is quite fancy pants but all show and no substance. There’s a lot of fish involved; ‘cockerel’ too! And a seemingly inordinate amount of purees and sorbets. Vegetarians have no chance.

The restaurant staff are pleasant enough but generally quite hapless. There’s a lot of them, swarming around like slightly disorientated sheep - some quite scruffy (as reviewer Sally Capener mentioned). I was never once asked if I wanted a hot drink at breakfast time, always having to track someone down to ask them for a coffee - occasionally being made to feel like I was inconveniencing them in some way. One particular highlight was when my husband asked for two poached eggs. The message came back that chef only does fried... Oh, those temperamental French chefs! Another time, he asked for two boiled eggs (due the self-boiling egg contraption being permanently full). The waiter disappeared with the order but - quelle surprise - the eggs never materialised.

And here comes the clincher... after working our way through a tiresome eight courses on New Year's Eve, five of which contained some element of champagne: champagne sorbet, champagne sauce, champagne purée, we were told upon check-out that despite being half board, we were being charged an extra 189 euros each for this special dinner! At no point did anyone mention this. We simply arrived at the restaurant as normal and a eight-course menu thrust in our hands. Yet another example of general ineptitude and lack of communication.

Sorry, Aigle de Neiges: this eagle has flown and I don’t think we’ll be back.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Palms_8
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Hotel L'Aigle des Neiges, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your comment after your stay in ou property.

As you are aware, we constantly strive to offer high-quality service, worthy of the image we wish to give to the Temmos Hotel. We much appreciate the assessments of our customers and use them to improve our establishment in order to achieve an impeccable level of service.

Be inform, that we are actually working on a project, to refurbish all our room during this summer and to offer you the best you can expect in a 4 Star Hotel.

For the room, I perfectly understand that you could have some noise from the bar during the end of this year, but you reserve a classic room, that is our standard room, and all of them are on 1st floor. If you want a quiet room it will be better to reserve a Superior or Deluxe Room.

Just for your information, you reserve your stay true an agency, and your package with the agency including the Half Board, and for this period the New Year Eve Dinner (that is a gastronomic dinner, on the theme of Champagne), with an extra charge, but by your agency. I think your agency did'nt give you all the information, because they know and have all the details about the rooms, half board... ...

For the staff restaurant, I'm surprise, but I'm going see with the restaurant manager, because we never have complains about our breakfast, with a lot products this year, I'm really sorry about the inconvenience for your eggs.

Please be sure, that I notice everything, and hope to see you soon, my team is at your disposal for any reservation,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights before Christmas in a junior suite. The hotel is in a great location and you can ski back to the door. The room was lovely and big for a family of 4 and it was nice coming back after ski-ing to use the pool, sauna and steam room. The staff in the ski room were so helpful every day and helped put the childrens boots on and took them off when we returned. You could walk to plenty of restaurants and the village was lovely. This was our first time staying in a hotel on a ski-ing trip as usually we stay in a chalet or apartment and we would stay here again. There was no tea/coffee facilities in our room but you could get hot water from reception so we went to the supermarket and brought a kettle so we could make our own drinks.

Room Tip: The junior suites are a great choice for families.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Mehdi R, Directeur général at Hotel L'Aigle des Neiges, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your comment !
All my team and I wish you a happy new year 2014 !

We really much appreciate the assessments of our customers and use them to improve our establishment in order to achieve an impeccable level of service.

Please be informed that since your departure there are in each room a coffee set, with a Malongo Expresso machine.

Hoping we’ll have the pleasure to welcome you at l'Aigle des Neiges when you next come to Val d'Isere,

Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here in our second trip to Val D'Isere. The location can not be beaten in two ways. First, it is in the heart of the village steps from the restaurants and shops. And second, it is simply ski in and out, you are right in front of the lifts, no need to carry your skis around. The hotel is nice and clean, rooms are a little old and furnitures tired. Breakfast is ok, spa is enough for a ski resort. Do not expect a very modern and luxurious room. If you look for that, I would recommend Hotel Avenue Lodge, 100 mts below or Le Blizzard, the best one in town. Both of these are not ski in and out. Keep in mind that you will pay much more to these hotels, around 20 to 40% more, whereas Aigle Des neiges is a good value for money for a skier. So if you are looking for a nice and clean hotel and not looking for too much luxury, go ahead and book. If you are picky and want to stay in a more modern and luxury hotel, try the others I mentionned. I am planning to go back in 2014 and Aigle des Neiges is definitely one of my options.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Eren3
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Room: Nice and clean room, with a modern decor.
Location: 2 steps from the ski area, with all shops, ski rental and ski school around.
Spa: nice pool and sauna, possibility to do massages
Staff: very nice and flexible

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Isa_Calaza
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Stay was excellent, kind staff, there is a 20 meter walk from the place you take out your skis, free Internet, and quite a lot of TV Channels (even Azerbaijan! - well, no Spanish, but two or three Russian, times are changing).

Room was very clean, although small, even by european parameters. There is no way to prepare a coffee or a tea in the room, and this is strongly missed, after an sky day. As often in Tripadvisor, there is a classification missing, between "Very Good" and "Average". I selected average due to the size of the room, for a 4 star we expect a little more space (and a coffee maker machine :)

Should I forget this issue, I have selected "very good"

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple