“A great little hotel with a brilliant atmosphere!”
Review of Chalet Hotel Moris

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val d'Isere
Chalet Hotel Moris
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Epsom, United Kingdom
“A great little hotel with a brilliant atmosphere!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We spent a week at the Moris over New Year and I already knew of it's reputation because my partner had been many times before. It was actually much better than expected! On arrival all our bags were taken directly from the coach to our rooms, which was lovely. I've been to 4 star hotels where we've had to take our own bags up!

It's a lovely small hotel where you get to know quite a few of the guests from sitting with them during breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. It would appear that many of the guests return year after year, with some staying for the whole season!

The food is of an excellent standard. During dinner, there are always 3 choices for starter, main course and dessert. Afternoon tea is a winner too! After a hard day on the slopes, there's soup, cakes, nibbles, bread... Yum!

The staff are all very friendly and will always help if asked. There is always somebody around to chat to, especially at the hotel bar.

The rooms are basic, but after a days skiing, all you need is a bed and a duvet! You can hear the bar below's music which generally finishes at one am. The Moris supplies earplugs but we've generally been too tired by the time we get to bed to let it keep us awake.

They offer ski hosting for 4 and a half days a week, which my partner participated in and really enjoyed.

So, if you're looking for luxury this isn't the place to go, but if you're looking for a good time, in a place with an excellent atmosphere and basic comforts, then come here!

We shall be back next season for 2 weeks and I'm already looking forwards to it.

• Stayed December 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Its all been said before. The Moris should be an awful experience because it is smelly, tatty, run-down, noisy and very basic but somehow we had a brilliant week.

Mark Warner holidays are a cut above the rest and never fail to deliver.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FB1977
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

The Moris Highlights - Former Gestapo HQ, Run by Hungover students, Bathrooms from Saw, Smells of school dinners, Mouldy walls, Furniture from Steptoe & Son, Live bands till 1 am, Ear Plugs on arrival.

I love it...just booked my fourth trip to this crazy place. If you're a male travelling alone the Moris is where it's at. Put the creature comforts behind you and enjoy the excellent atmosphere, great food, fantastic pub and top notch ski hosting with similar like minded people.

If on the other hand you want a luxurious ski holiday look elsewhere.

Me, I prefer a full days skiing, drunken nights and a chalet that smells of farts.

Room Tip: High floors block out the live band till 1.30 am but don't come with own bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Paul K
oxford
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Yes of course it's a tatty hotel, but so was the grand nord and the cretes blanches & portillo and all the other original chalet hotels in val.

You go for the fellow guests - often you will make lifelong friends - have a great crack skiing with them and even possibly more... (apparently:) It's adults only too so no yummy mummies boasting all through dinner about how great their children are all night - also the mw ski hosting service is worth going for on its own.

food is fab too.

yes there are more blokes, not many en suite loos etc etc, and it's noisy, but that's not the point. If you already have your own party of mates and loads more cash then go somewhere else.

The moris is in the centre of town, has lovely and willing staff (yes they are students not pros, but they try hard) cleanliness is absolutely fine and this year's team are just as good as previous.

go there and enjoy the communal tables and have a ball.

if you want a cosy a deux or are fussy about room quality then go some place else.

PS only tip to MW - i think you are missing a trick not having the staff having dinner with the guests (like you used to) - this does make a difference - and yes the chalet team may not like it, but the guests would LOVE IT - it matters! - and if the staff have any sense their investment in social skills at dinner may lead to future career building contacts :)

Room Tip: for girls worth getting an en suite (very few) as will hate communal loo and bath - blokes don't...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
England
Reviewed 2 April 2012

When I booked a week at the Moris for the first time, it was with some slight trepidation, having read the reviews on here. I really needn't have worried.

Certainly when you arrive, the first impression is of an old, slightly run-down hotel with worn carpets - which it is - but there was a nice friendly welcome from the staff, who take your luggage to your room.

I was allocated a room on the top floor, which had a shower, but no toilet. I was well aware this was the case in many rooms when I booked, but thought I'd ask to see if there might be a spare en suite room.

As the hotel was half-empty, I was moved into Room 5 on the first floor instead - and it was so nice I felt slightly guilty! OK the bathroom's old, but there was a double bed and it was spotlessly clean - and on the same floor as the bar. Thanks Buzz (still owe you a G&T)! :-D

By the way, the hotel and rooms do not smell at all.

So, onto the rest of the week - well it was one of my best ski holidays ever!

The ski hosting from Andy and Sarah was fantastic, and the conditions were wonderful. It was warm, the pistes were gorgeous and we put in some serious mileage. Absolutely awesome.

The lifts are either a short walk or a short bus ride from the front door, so there's not much waiting around in the mornings.

The terrain in Val/Tignes is vast and varied, and is a paradise for good skiers.

As for the company, it was a very nice crowd staying at the hotel, many of whom had stayed there several times. I can see why they keep coming back. It is quite male-dominated but us girls were well looked after.

The food was lovely, the staff were all brilliant and the apres was about as good as it gets.

From a beer and a dance at the amazing La Folie Douce, it's back for a nice cup of tea and hot soup on the hotel terrace - then down to watch the afternoon band in the Moris bar. One day we went to Cafe Face, which is a very cool, chilled-out bar, another day we joined all the seasonaires in La Petit Danois for a live band who were brilliant and played loads of 80s stuff.

Evening mealtime is good fun with lashings of wine and a very tasty 3 course meal - and the nights are generally spent watching more live music in the Moris, there is no need to go anywhere else!

Yes, it's LOUD. The evening bands reverberate through the whole hotel until 1.30am - but the solution is to be watching them! I did have one early night and slept fine with earplugs.

The Moris does feel like a kind of 'club' for the people who accept the downsides (like few en suite rooms and the noise), and love it for all the advantages; staff, food, atmosphere and location.

If you are up for a good time and love live music, socialising and a bit of a party, then you will love the Moris. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask as soon as you get there if you can have an en suite room. If you are polite, you might just get...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Cheshire
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Previous reviews accurate but I was not disappointed as I knew what to expect. The staff here are good fun and the music is loud but you can enjoy your stay as the music is also good. If you feel like a night off take your earplugs. However, it is obvious that Mark Warner does not wish to spend ANY money on the quality of guest accommodation. Rooms are NOT cleaned but the beds are made and towels changed once a week. My room was small and bathroom barely useable and dirty. Duvet stained and duvet cover worn through at both ends. Food average and wine with meal sometimes undrinkable. Breakfast quite good though. Many guests were middleaged/retired and well healed but happy to put up with poor conditions as lots were repeat visitors. A matter of time before they discover they can stay in relative luxury nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alerhunter
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Everything that the other reviewers have said about this hotel is true – the good and the bad! The Chalethotel Moris is a mass of contradictions, some aspects are excellent (the food and the staff), some parts are dreadful (cleanliness, the fabric of the place and the noise). On the whole, the bad far outweigh the good and we hated it. It has to be said that we had no idea what we were going to, unfortunately we did not read the trip advisor reviews before booking otherwise would never have agreed to it. However if you do know what you’re getting (they have plenty of return customers), you don’t mind (or don’t see) the filth, can sleep through anything, want a hearty meal and a place to crash after a long day on the slopes then this is the place for you. We, on the other hand, will not be going back and are in negotiations with Mark Warner over the not insignificant amount of cash we handed over for seven nights of hell. Not surprisingly it has gone very quiet from their side of the negotiations.
It’s difficult to know where to begin, there’s so much wrong with this place. I’ll start with our room. We paid extra for an ensuite which we are glad for given the experience of the shared facilities detailed by some other reviewers on this site. It is not that the standard of our bathroom was any better than the shared amenities, just that we didn’t have to share them. The bathroom was disgusting. We had to make sure the door was firmly closed every night to contain the pungent smells emanating from every plughole. The toilet roll holder was broken and the bin lid fell off the first time we used it. Our reactions to using the bathroom were eloquently summed up by my partner as ‘tickle-tummed’. The furniture in the bedroom was fit only for a skip or bonfire. The old, tired, wooden wardrobe listed at a jaunty angle backwards (presumably to stop in falling on you) and was propped up at one corner by a block of wood. The middle door was roughly screwed shut, goodness knows why. The table separating the twin beds in this room I would not have in my shed, such was the state of it. The bed linen was clean but my duvet smelled of perspiration. The day we arrived there was a toe nail on the floor. When I picked it up, with a wad of tissue of course, the hair that came off the carpet bore testimony to the length of time the room had gone without a vacuum clean. This Chalethotel boasts daily cleaning of rooms (except Thursdays) by which they mean that daily a teenager will arrive with a box of cleaning sprays. What they do when they get in the room I do not know, but clean they do not. If you have ever seen the Harry Enfield sketch of Kevin the Teenager cleaning his Dad’s car then this is how I imagine the rooms at Chalethotel Moris are cleaned. I did not see a hoover for the seven days we were marooned in this hell-hole.
The room was freezing. Granted the ‘head of house-keeping’ did bring us a heater when we asked for one which did help. But the heater had some rather dodgy-looking wiring which worried us and there was still ice on the inside of our windows in the mornings. In addition there was only one electricity socket in this room so we had to unplug the heater every time we needed to charge our phones or use our hairdryer.
And then there’s the noise. When we booked this holiday with Mark Warner their representative told us that the hotel was above a ‘lively bar’. Our room was on the second floor so we thought we would cope with ‘lively’. However, what he meant by ‘lively’ was ‘live music every night until 1.30am’, and I mean LIVE MUSIC EVERY NIGHT UNTIL 1.30AM! They issue earplugs at the reception for goodness sakes! When we learned of this shortly after arriving, the Manager helpfully shared that their regular guests cope by taking them up on their offer of earplugs and bringing sleeping tablets. Fortunately I have my own supply of both but do not expect to have to use them on precious annual leave, well-earned Rest and Relaxation, getting away from the stresses and strains of working life, time off with my partner – time!
Which brings me nicely on to the dining arrangements which can be summed up in one word: ‘communal’. Again, all well and good if that’s what you like and that’s what you expect but frankly we don’t and we didn’t. On our first night we sat at one end of a long table and were surrounded by strangers (all very nice of course but...). We did not say a word to each other all evening but were engaged politely in small talk with people we had no interest in and very little (if anything) in common with. The ratio of men to women in the establishment was 5:1 which when we were there meant 25 men and 5 women. The testosterone in the room was palpable. The boasting, gloating, competing as to who was the fastest, bravest, most absolutely wonderful skier/snowboarder was, as you may imagine, scintillating.
After our first sleepless night I asked Manager to find us a room somewhere else and offered to pay for an upgrade so long as we were moved to another hotel. He was very helpful and did try but could not find anything. He was right – I tried myself to find online another hotel room in Val d’isere that week but there was nothing to be had unless you could stump up an additional £1200 for 6 nights – which we couldn’t. Hence we resigned ourselves to our filthy room, earplugs and sleeping tablets. The earplugs were only partially effective as the vibrations from the live music were so strong the base boomed up through the mattress and the earplugs reverberated in our ears.
As I have said the staff were all very pleasant and helpful when asked for anything. The Manager did arrange for us to have our dinner in the bar area so that we did not have to partake of the refectory-style dining, so every night the staff kindly set a table for two in the hotel bar. The down side of this was that, as other reviewers have noted, the hotel staff from this and surrounding hotels use this bar as a social club. If you are familiar with alpine holidays then you will know that such establishments are staffed by young, predominantly male, snowboarder types with names like Buzz and Daz. Hence during the evening’s meal we were subjected to conversations about visits to brothels and having to provide their own condoms. By which time I was so eroded that my only thoughts were – thank goodness they had the presence of mind to take their own condoms, pass the Chardonnay Darling.
On the plus side – and there were one or two plus sides – the food is exceptionally good. Five star cuisine in a minus five star establishment. I’d pay good money for that food in a very good restaurant. Breakfast, afternoon tea with home-made soup and cakes every day and a choice of excellent evening meals cannot be faulted. Another plus is that the staff are lovely, they cannot clean but they are very friendly and helpful. If you are a lone traveller (preferably male) or like to ski/snowboard with a group of mates (preferably male), are happy to live in the environment of the worst, dirtiest, most disgusting student house you have ever had the misfortune to visit, then this is the place for you. The ‘ski hosting’ appeared very popular and the camaraderie as well as the competition was jovial. People really do go back year after year. We, however, will not.
A final note – on the way home we spoke to someone at the airport who told us that in the 1940s during the German occupation of France, Chaletholet Moris was the Gestapo head quarters. The icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helen-Lesley

Travellers are raving about these Val d'Isere hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Val d'Isere
Chalet Hotel Tarentaise
Hotel l'Ecrin du Val Claret
Hotel L'Avancher
Hotel L'Avancher
#9 of 39 in Val d'Isere

Been to Chalet Hotel Moris? Share your experiences!