Champs Avalins Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Hotel la Savoyarde(Val d'Isere)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Hotel le Kern(Val d'Isere)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Altitude(Val d'Isere)
  • Restaurant
Avenue Lodge Hotel(Val d'Isere)
Le Yule(Val d'Isere)
  • Pool
All reviewssoupla dailleafternoon teadinner sittingscakeswifi worksorder toasthotel is pretty basicread several reviewsholiday makersval d'iserecommunal spacethe busstar accommodationbus serviceenthusiastic staffmeal times
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After not expecting a great deal from this hotel I really couldn't have been more wrong. The location is perfect, a 3 minute walk to the train, 5 minute bus which stops outside the hotel to the nursery slopes and most importantly at the bottom of the slope leading down from The Folie Douce (or if you're too wobbly to ski you can hop on the bubble down from the Folie and you're back at the hotel!).
The food was just incredible. Continental and cooked breakfast in the morning, during which they take your order for the evening. Usually there were 2/3 options per night, but it was so hard to choose because it was all so delicious! Didn't have a bad meal and the portion sizes were very good. Start off with a bread roll, then starter main and dessert, followed by petit fours and then a huge cheeseboard! The unlimited supply of wine, white red AND rose was fab, they must have had a whole room of wine because our party of 10 couldn't even drink them dry and we had bottle after bottle. A bottle would only last about 30 seconds on our table and a new one would be replaced swiftly by the staff, ideal! Afternoon tea was again great, hot soup is perfect for when you come off the mountains.
The staff, what to say, can't be faulted. Attentive, cheerful, up for a laugh, seriously hard workers. They were brilliant. I really think the staff make that hotel so massive credit to them.
The bar is small but still has a great atmosphere, we attended one of their quizzes on music and movies and it was such a laugh. Our room 104 was fine, no complaints, lovely view of the mountain.
Overall I would 100% stay here again and recommend to friends and family, it was one of my better ski holidays thanks to the Champs Avalins staff :)

Room Tip: Rooms 101-104 all had a lovely view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Hotelplan, Guest Relations Manager at Champs Avalins Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear CLW,
It's terrific that your stay was far better than you may have expected before you left. Thank you so much for the warm praise of our staff and for recommending the attractions and benefits of staying at the Champs Avalins. Do come back again next year!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I, along with 7 friends spent a week at the hotel from the 9th to the 16th of February this year.
The management were pleasant and the staff couldn’t do enough for the guests. It was obvious that they all worked very hard but it was also apparent that they worked together as a team.
The food was excellent and all the staff were a joy to engage with, it is probably unfair to draw attention to any individual/s but Stevie and Lucy in particular made our stay even more enjoyable with their constant cheery manner.
On a slightly negative side the hotel could probably do with some modernisation but the rooms were a reasonable size and well looked after by the staff and it's location in La Daille is excellent for access to the mountain.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed here in January on a boys' boarding holiday and it was so good I went back again in February with the other half. She is really picky and she loved it.

The rooms are not huge and do not have televisions or tea facilities but they are clean, very warm and secure. Anyway, I didn't go to watch TV. I went to snowboard and, for that, it was excellent.

The breakfasts were plentiful, the afternoon soups and cakes were amazing and evening food was excellent. There was even a supermarket virtually next door for any "extras" you may need.

The main train up the mountain (funival) is only a 3 minute walk away and there are chair lifts and a gondola closer. There are also free buses every 5 minutes if you wish to start your day at the other end of Val.

The staff, though (with the food), are the best thing about the hotel. They are fantastic. Helpful, knowledgeable and lots of fun. This hotel is the man reason I went back to the same resort 4 weeks after my holiday in January. The manager, Kayleigh, along with Lucy, Adam, and the funniest barman ever, Jack, made these two holidays absolutely brilliant for me and, if I can, I'm going back again before the season end again.

Room Tip: Having been twice this year, I can say room 108 is a larger room with a bigger, double wardrobe. I would ask for a room where the bathroom door faces the wardrobe, not the room - they seem to be bigger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Hotelplan, Guest Relations Manager at Champs Avalins Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear MrLaz,
We are so pleased that having had such a fantastic time in January you returned to stay with us again last month! We will certainly ensure that all the staff see your review as we know how much they appreciate such feedback. If you can manage a third visit this season let us know!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed all over and in loads of resorts/hotels.
This place has a great atmosphere, fantastic food and amazing Staff.
Yes the rooms are small and dated but clean and secure.
The location is perfect, a short walk to the ski train or chair.
The bus actually comes every 5 minutes unlike some places.

We had a great week and would go back in a shot.

Great Staff.... did I already say that?.....

Room Tip: Ask for slope side if possible, the garbage truck comes at 0430 every morning!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was probably the best trip I have ever been on. I love snowboarding, but this time the slopes were on par with my experiences at the hotel. The rooms are basic but comfortable, clean and lets face it you only sleep there lol. The food was excellent and the chef pulled out the stops for me with my gluten free diet. All round the food was never a disappointment and I always looked forward to any meal. As someone else said on here the bar was small but don't be fooled by this. The barman "Sharky" was a talented magician of alcohol, never failing to produce something that would tickle your taste buds and pickle your brain. He also was a bloody good bloke and host at his counter. There was a whole bunch of people who worked further upstairs and they were always at hand to make everything enjoyable. I cant give the girls and guys there enough praise for the amount of work they did to make it the best for everyone. They were always professional in their work but so friendly and funny in between. I would like to say a massive thanks to Kayleigh and her team at the hotel for making this trip one of my best memories.

Chris Ibbertson

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Hotelplan, Guest Relations Manager at Champs Avalins Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Chris,
We are thrilled that your holiday was made extra special thanks to the hard work and friendly service provided by our staff at the Champs Avalins, and will certainly bring your review to their attention. We would love to welcome you back another time!