“Really good experience”

Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Val d'Isere
Melbourne, Australia
“Really good experience”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed here for 10 nights in february. It was a really good boutique 2 star option in a very central location. The fact is was central meant that occasionally it was a little noisy- with revellers below in the street falling over- but that is to be expected when you are bang in the middle of things. The rooms were heated really well. I loved the sitting room- it was nice to sip a glass of wine there in the evenings. Once I was politely asked by the staff if I had accidentally stolen another guest's book! I had trouble reading the books I brought so hardly had the energy to be stealing other people's books!!! I think they were suitably embarrassed to ask me that but I felt a little weird. The breakfasts were delicious and the staff were lovely. One of them wanted to sell us some Portuguese honey she had - I love an entrepreneur! The room, although small was spotless and the beds were made every day. The only other thing I would prefer is a more supportive bed - probably fine for a few nights but if you were thinking of skiing longer than a week be aware the beds might not be supportive enough. Overall though it was a really good place to stay. it was cosy and quirky and I would recommend it. Be aware it is two stars. A really really really good two star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite. Specify if you want a twin or a double. Bring earplugs. Don't expect there t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank minneme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here at the end of the 2014 ski season and what really came across was just how excellent the service was; the lady who is on reception and seems to generally look after the hotel was exceptionally helpful through out my stay. The hotel is some what basic the ski room is simple with no heated boot rack but it's located near the main door and very accessible. The rooms themselves are basic but perfectly acceptable for what they are. Location wise it's about 3 minutes to the mains lifts and less that 20m to the main street in Val. So in summary:

Rooms: Basic, functional, very comfortable
Service and Staff: Excellent, willing to go the extra mile to be helpful
Breakfast: a good if limited selection of meat, bread and cereal. Fresh coffee and juice
Location: Perfect
Value: I forgot to mention this earlier but for Val, excellent value

Would I stay again: I will

I stayed on my own whilst doing a course but I would have happily stayed here with my wife.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank disestablishman
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 6 nights and felt totally at home in this delightful hotel. Pascale and Dani were superb hosts and truly made us most welcome. The hotel is small which adds to the charm. The rooms are clean and comfortable; breakfast is most enjoyable; and the runs are less than 3 minutes walk.

Stayed April 2014
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed 3 nights in Le Kern in March 2014. The place has a perfect location: steps to the lifts and not facing the Main Street with its noise. Very good breakfast: all is fresh and tasty. Staff is fantastic and very helpful. Rooms are small, very clean.it's a perfect bed and breakfast in the village. We'll definitely come back as we like to ski in Val D'Isere.

Room Tip: I think all are good as they are facing a small quiet street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Banchory
Reviewed 24 February 2014

What a great place to stay in Val d'Isere! We were looking for somewhere for a short stay and couldn't find anywhere that didn't have a minimum 7 night stay, except for Le Kern. Only a 2* hotel, but the TA reviews were great so we took a chance. Great choice. It's not the height of luxury, but the staff were lovely, rooms were small but very clean and the beds were very comfortable. And breakfast was nice too.
Great location too, right in the centre of town, close to restaurants and ski lifts. Ski bus stop very close too. We rented skis from the shop in the Hotel Avenue Lodge next door which was very convenient.
Recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SmartieBanchory
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This really is a hidden gem in the heart of Val d'isere and I couldn't recommend it highly enough.Just off the Main Street it is a short walk to the slopes ,opposite the bus stop and near to all the bars and restaurants.It is nestled amongst the 4 and 5 stars hotels in the resort and would be easy to walk past if you didn't know it was there.We were immediately impressed by the fresh flowers in reception and the warm and friendly welcome by Pascale , the manageress who is very efficient and immediately puts you at your ease. Indeed all the staff were helpful and accommodating.The breakfast was plentiful and variable with lots of fresh fruit/ breads/cold meats/cheese and cereals. There is a small pleasant bar area where you can relax enjoy a drink after skiing or before dinner. Rooms are small but clean and well appointed in traditional Savoyarde style. We had a very enjoyable stay at Le Kern- indeed we struggled to understand it only has a 2 star rating and we will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lyn932
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Dani was great and I love the hotel. Friendly staff and very comfortable rooms. All that and an easy walk to the lifts. I booked a single room last minute and was very happy with the rate as well. She advised upon arrival that the two smaller lifts were free after 3pm. I was able to get in a few laps that I had not expected. Local information was great.

Room Tip: Choose first floor as there's no lift.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo